Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
The approach a bowler uses is basically his timing mechanism. It will vary from bowler to bowler. Some people have a fast timing, others a slower one. Personally, I prefer the 4-step approach because that's how I've been brought up to use. No matter which approach you use (4 or 5 step, and even 3 I believe), the first step is always timing. It should be nice, slow, and steady, but not too slow so as to mess up your timing.

Concerning your, well, concern about a righty four step approach starting with your right foot, this is so you can end with your left foot. If you say the motions to yourself in your head right, left, right, left, then you will notice you end with your left foot, if you start with your right. If you don't know, the purpose of ending with your opposite foot is the same reason as to why you step with your opposite foot when you throw a baseball. It makes for a much smoother delivery because your momentum will naturally drift that way.

So to answer your question, if you are using a righty four step approach, yes, you should always lead with your right foot. But if you are more comfortable with starting with your left foot, then you may want to consider a 5 step approach.
No offense, but RobLV1 is correct. It's really nice of you to help others, but if you don't know the physical game, it could hurt the person you're helping. Take this time to study the game by learning from a coach yourself. Reading, watching, and practicing are other examples too. But, having the eye for the game is like shooting free throws too. Some have it and some don't.

I've worked with many coaches over the years, most are well known HOF or Top 100 coaches. They all are different, but the basics are very similar. How fast and and how slow the approach is is tempo. (1.) Timing is the relationship of the push away and your first step in the 4 step approach. I have late timing, similar to Chris Barnes. Tommy Jones is early - another example of how people measure timing. Likewise, (2.) Timing is also at the foul line - your slide foot and when you release the ball. And there's Mark Baker, he measures the "timing spot"....you can look that up.