Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 step approach

Default 4 step approach

I have been watching videos on the correct approach for bowling as i tried to mimic the 4 step approach it felt really awkward. I realized this is because i have always started with my left foot. I cant find a video of any right handed bowler starting with there left foot so i am guessing its all wrong. Should i always lead with my righ foot on the approach? Sorry for the newbie question but i am trying to learn how to bowl the correct way with good form. Considering joining a league in the future but dont want to go in not knowing the basic and correct skills. Thanks for any advice.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by crashmyalley View Post
    I have been watching videos on the correct approach for bowling as i tried to mimic the 4 step approach it felt really awkward. I realized this is because i have always started with my left foot. I cant find a video of any right handed bowler starting with there left foot so i am guessing its all wrong. Should i always lead with my righ foot on the approach? Sorry for the newbie question but i am trying to learn how to bowl the correct way with good form. Considering joining a league in the future but dont want to go in not knowing the basic and correct skills. Thanks for any advice.
    Many bowlers use a five step approach. Basically you take one step with your left foot and the follow the instructions for a four step approach. You should be able to find a number videos demonstrating the five step method.
    John

Bowling is based on a four-step approach, however many bowlers use five steps. The first step is a timing step that gets the feet into motion. When I say that bowling is based on four steps, I mean that it is important that the ball is put into motion with the fourth step back from the line (2nd step of a five step approach). In other words, make sure that your first step with your left foot is a small one and that the ball is pushed away with the first step with your right foot (second step of the five step approach). Google PBA bowling on U Tube to see many different four and five step approaches.

Chats: 32

The biggest things are that your timing is correct and that your are finishing on you're left foot. The rest is personal preference.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The biggest things are that your timing is correct and that your are finishing on you're left foot. The rest is personal preference.
    Unless you're a lefty

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Unless you're a lefty
    True but he mentioned in his post that he was watching right handed bowlers.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Great video that explains the 4 and 5 step approach. I often go back to this one when I find my timing off to get a quick refresh.

High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I use a five step approach, but like all of you are saying, the first step is only there for timing. The ball starts moving only after the first step has been taken.

The approach a bowler uses is basically his timing mechanism. It will vary from bowler to bowler. Some people have a fast timing, others a slower one. Personally, I prefer the 4-step approach because that's how I've been brought up to use. No matter which approach you use (4 or 5 step, and even 3 I believe), the first step is always timing. It should be nice, slow, and steady, but not too slow so as to mess up your timing.

Concerning your, well, concern about a righty four step approach starting with your right foot, this is so you can end with your left foot. If you say the motions to yourself in your head right, left, right, left, then you will notice you end with your left foot, if you start with your right. If you don't know, the purpose of ending with your opposite foot is the same reason as to why you step with your opposite foot when you throw a baseball. It makes for a much smoother delivery because your momentum will naturally drift that way.

So to answer your question, if you are using a righty four step approach, yes, you should always lead with your right foot. But if you are more comfortable with starting with your left foot, then you may want to consider a 5 step approach.

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
    The approach a bowler uses is basically his timing mechanism. It will vary from bowler to bowler. Some people have a fast timing, others a slower one. Personally, I prefer the 4-step approach because that's how I've been brought up to use. No matter which approach you use (4 or 5 step, and even 3 I believe), the first step is always timing. It should be nice, slow, and steady, but not too slow so as to mess up your timing.

Concerning your, well, concern about a righty four step approach starting with your right foot, this is so you can end with your left foot. If you say the motions to yourself in your head right, left, right, left, then you will notice you end with your left foot, if you start with your right. If you don't know, the purpose of ending with your opposite foot is the same reason as to why you step with your opposite foot when you throw a baseball. It makes for a much smoother delivery because your momentum will naturally drift that way.

So to answer your question, if you are using a righty four step approach, yes, you should always lead with your right foot. But if you are more comfortable with starting with your left foot, then you may want to consider a 5 step approach.
    Timing is not fast or slow, it is early or late. I know that you are trying to help, but you're not. Finding a qualified coach is a really good idea for a beginning bowler. There's a whole lot of information that gets posted here that can do a whole lot more harm than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast