Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grips and slugs?

Default Grips and slugs?

What type of grips and slugs do you guys all use?

I'm not the most experienced bowler ever and have only ever used lift grips without a thumb slug, but am thinking that getting a thumb slug for my next ball would be nice to have. Thoughts on this?

What grips do you currently have and like?

Chats: 256

I use the regular ovals for grips and a regular slug, I just go with whatever grips/slug the shop has at the time. Not brand specific.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I also use regular oval grips and thumb slugs, non-brand specific. This is what I tell my students: whatever grips you use, avoid the flat "lift" end as it is counter-productive to modern ball reaction. In terms of thumb holes, I am very lucky in that my thumb never goes up or down. I have one piece of tape in every thumbhole, more for feel than for fit. If your thumb tends to go up and down a lot, I highly recommend getting the removeable thumb slugs in several different sizes so that each ball you throw will feel exactly the same.

Can you elaborate a bit more on why the flat lift grips are counter-productive? I'm genuinely curious and will definitely avoid them if it really will help me.

As for the removable thumb slug, I'll look into that. I only have one strike ball and one spare ball at the moment, but I suppose it still would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit more on why the flat lift grips are counter-productive? I'm genuinely curious and will definitely avoid them if it really will help me.

As for the removable thumb slug, I'll look into that. I only have one strike ball and one spare ball at the moment, but I suppose it still would be nice.
    The lifts are counter productive because modern balls don't need you to "lift" them, they need you to roll them as you rotate through the ball. When you lift a modern bowling ball it tends to read the lane too early and gets really jumpy at the break point.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The lifts are counter productive because modern balls don't need you to "lift" them, they need you to roll them as you rotate through the ball. When you lift a modern bowling ball it tends to read the lane too early and gets really jumpy at the break point.
    After contemplating your response, I read this little article: http://tamerbowling.com/to-lift-or-not-to-lift/ and I think that I understand why you disagree with using lift grips now.

Do you think that it be correct to say that lift grips often allow for higher revs with less energy being put into the ball moving forwards down the lane? Also, would using regular oval grips provide a smoother release?

Yes and Yes.

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

Oval Vice for fingers
    no thumb slugs, I prefer to adjust my thumb holes with tape, both white and black

I will say I do miss the hard urethane finger grips from the 90s
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by LyalC52 View Post
    Oval Vice for fingers
    no thumb slugs, I prefer to adjust my thumb holes with tape, both white and black

I will say I do miss the hard urethane finger grips from the 90s
    I use tape with a slug as well. Mainly just 1 white piece for feel in the pad side of my thumb hole, but sometimes add an extra piece for fit.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I use tape with a slug as well. Mainly just 1 white piece for feel in the pad side of my thumb hole, but sometimes add an extra piece for fit.
    out of curiosity (please don't take offense) if you plan to put tape in the hole, why do you pay for slugs?
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast