Thread: Progress all at once?

Question Progress all at once?

Prior to a few weeks ago, my game had plateaued
    my average had been hanging around 158-160 since January
    then in late may something changed
    i started bending my knees more at the foul line which was giving me a better ball reaction
    I'm now a few weeks into my summer season and my average has jumped to 186
    I've been keeping track of my spare % which hasn't moved a whole lot, telling me improved spares aren't the reason i improved
    so my question is this; can one simple improvement to my game cause such a big average jump?
    or is it the results of improvements I made over the last 6 months showing themselves all at once
    i guess i just want to know if seeing progress all at once is common or not
    any input is appreciated

I'm starting to go through the phase now where I feel like I'm just missing one piece of the puzzle. I feel like I know how my ball reacts on the lanes I throw on, my style of bowling, and all that good stuff. But I don't feel like I have the whole problem figured out. Granted, I'm averaging around 175-180 consistently, but I know that I can do better. It's just a matter of finding out what to do next that will take my game to the next level. By bending your knees, you may have found your puzzle piece to really take your game to the next level.

But don't stop there! Try to improve your spare average. Find a way to consistently make most/all of your spares. Spares are, after all, a huge part of a game. You can throw a game with no strikes, and you could very well get a 190 (9-spare every frame)! Or you can throw a 6 bagger in the first 6 frames, and make none of your spares, and only get a 200 game! Never be satisfied, and always look for something else to build upon in your game.

Chances are, your jump in average wasn't just because of the one adjustment by itself. Most likely this was just a result of putting together this one adjustment with everything else you've done from January to now. Keep it up!

Chats: 256

Your timing could be better, so you are more accurate at the line leading to more pocket shots. Timing can certainly help with your ability to score a bit better.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Your timing could be better, so you are more accurate at the line leading to more pocket shots. Timing can certainly help with your ability to score a bit better.
    My timing certainly has improved over the last few weeks to the point where i can post most of my shots where as before my balance was all off
    now that you mention it this might be one of the reasons for a jump in average
    ive found that for me slowing down and bending at the knees helps timing in general

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

What you should be asking is; how has my changes effected my shot repeatability?

And congrats on the improvements!
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Chats: 32

Congrats on the progress. I have had this happen to me a few times everything just seems to click all at once and you take 2 or 3 steps forward. Unfortunately for me this is usually quickly followed by a slump where I take to steps back. Good luck to you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I can usually tell I had a good toss by being able to post my shot. Other times I muscle and I lose balance. I get the big hook and maybe a strike but not very consistent. I always have to fight the urge and remind myself "faster and stronger" is not always the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Split Happens View Post
    Prior to a few weeks ago, my game had plateaued
    my average had been hanging around 158-160 since January
    then in late may something changed
    i started bending my knees more at the foul line which was giving me a better ball reaction
    I'm now a few weeks into my summer season and my average has jumped to 186
    I've been keeping track of my spare % which hasn't moved a whole lot, telling me improved spares aren't the reason i improved
    so my question is this; can one simple improvement to my game cause such a big average jump?
    or is it the results of improvements I made over the last 6 months showing themselves all at once
    i guess i just want to know if seeing progress all at once is common or not
    any input is appreciated
    It certainly could be due to a small change. For me moving up on the approach (and slowing down) some time ago seemed to be the magic bullet. But then I had really dry lanes for a few weeks practicing and I ended up picking up my speed again and after slumping for a while it started clicking again. I even got a 289 on night with a tropical breeze. A week later I couldn't break 200 to save my life.

Do yourself a favor. If you feel like you are bowling well, take some videos of yourself to analyze against when you start slumping. Everyone rides the bowler coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    It certainly could be due to a small change. For me moving up on the approach (and slowing down) some time ago seemed to be the magic bullet. But then I had really dry lanes for a few weeks practicing and I ended up picking up my speed again and after slumping for a while it started clicking again. I even got a 289 on night with a tropical breeze. A week later I couldn't break 200 to save my life.

Do yourself a favor. If you feel like you are bowling well, take some videos of yourself to analyze against when you start slumping. Everyone rides the bowler coaster.
    will do
    i wish i would have thought of that earlier
    i just bowled my best game and series 242 and 659 but never thought to take a single video
    next time i guess