Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bowler's thumb

Unhappy bowler's thumb

hey guys
    a little while back i was bowling league and i made an off throw that stuck to my thumb rubbing up on the underside of the thumb
    now it tingles every time that spot gets touched
    im pretty sure i irritated a nerve during the bad throw
    anyone else have similar experiences?

Not the thumb but my ring finger. I get a tingling sensation down my finger if I hit the right spot. I do bowl a lot now since I get 3 free games daily. I average probably 15 games a week. It isn't a real concern yet though.

"underside of the thumb" sounds like the whole thumb - palm side, or anterior side.

which part exactly do you feel pain? the tip of the thumb (under the finger nail), at the joint, or the base of the thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Not the thumb but my ring finger. I get a tingling sensation down my finger if I hit the right spot. I do bowl a lot now since I get 3 free games daily. I average probably 15 games a week. It isn't a real concern yet though.
    it isn't a real concern yet, but IMO, you better get your grip rechecked. Because long term, it will affect your hand later on. Health before bowling.

If your hand/grip is fitted correctly, you shouldn't feel any pain. The finger pain may lead to wrist pain, and/or elbow, and/or shoulder... especially if you bowl a lot.

I get my span checked every 2 to 3 years.....

Or get your hand checked by your doctor too??

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    "underside of the thumb" sounds like the whole thumb - palm side, or anterior side.

which part exactly do you feel pain? the tip of the thumb (under the finger nail), at the joint, or the base of the thumb?
    its at the base of the thumb on the palm side
    usually im pretty good about clamping instead of grabbing the ball, but i grabbed it and it left a nasty blister at the base of my thumb on the palm side
    the tingling has since improved, but its still a nagging issue

Chats: 256

Are you sure the ball fits your hand correctly?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Are you sure the ball fits your hand correctly?
    positive
    99% of the time i do it right
    i was just that one throw that did me in
    i was just wondering if anybody could give me an estimate on time to heal
    when it happened i took two weeks off from bowling and it felt a lot better, but it hasn't gone away completely

Quote Originally Posted by Split Happens View Post
    positive
    99% of the time i do it right
    i was just that one throw that did me in
    i was just wondering if anybody could give me an estimate on time to heal
    when it happened i took two weeks off from bowling and it felt a lot better, but it hasn't gone away completely
    Healing time depends on many things. It can be a few days or years. I'd go see a doctor for you thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Healing time depends on many things. It can be a few days or years. I'd go see a doctor for you thumb.
    yeah i know
    made an appointment
    we'll see monday

You probably hit a nerve or something. It's definitely something worth going to the doc's for. Hope you have a quick and speedy recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast