Thread: ball return chewed up my wife's ball and a weird hole in her finger hole

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Default ball return chewed up my wife's ball and a weird hole in her finger hole

my wife's diva divine got chew up in the ball return, ironically it was the same return that chew up my hysteria. her teammates is that house assistant manager and manager. the assistant manager was on the radio to the mechanic on duty letting them know. after we where done, she calls me over to look in her finger hole. there was what looked a small hole close to the bottom of the middle finger hole. some of the veteran bowlers said the ball looked hollow inside. I did a ton of research on the ball before I bought it, it is a 10lb ball, she can't go any heavier doc's orders. I though I say where it had a light wight core.

first thing that comes to mind is, a air bubble that did not get vibrated out during the casting and made it thru the qc. if so falls under warranty. our driller has his own warranty system as well. so he could just order another ball for her and replace it.

I normally do all the leg work when it comes to getting work done on out bowling balls. but she is handling these one herself. god be with the drill.

just hope they figure what is chewing up balls. I have to ball that set of lanes next week.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Seems weird that there could be a hole inside of a finger hole. It's not like the inside of the ball is soft either, so I highly doubt the ball return could have caused damage to the inside.

As for the actual chewing up of the balls, maintenance should figure it out. Could be as simple as debris in the return or issues with the track in the return itself, or it could be something most of us would probably never think of.

SandBagger

that is what I thinking about the hole in the finger hole. nothing is impossible, just highly unlikely.

she'll get these one worked out. she runs a $4mil a year store for major convenience store chain. she knows how to get things done.

Do you think the hole happened at some other (recent) time, due to wear and a defect or something and you happened to notice it while inspecting damage?

SandBagger

it was noticed while inspecting the damage. we don't bowl on the same team. so I was heading to the sneak bar to get something and she called me over. wtf came out of my mouth. the center we bowl at is closed monday and tuesday during the summer. mondays the mechanics go in and do work, these time the head mechanic knows and maybe he will figure out what is going on.
    I just emailed dv8, see if they may have any ideas. and about what type of core used in the light ball class.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by coreyds012778 View Post
    my wife's diva divine got chew up in the ball return, ironically it was the same return that chew up my hysteria. her teammates is that house assistant manager and manager. the assistant manager was on the radio to the mechanic on duty letting them know. after we where done, she calls me over to look in her finger hole. there was what looked a small hole close to the bottom of the middle finger hole. some of the veteran bowlers said the ball looked hollow inside. I did a ton of research on the ball before I bought it, it is a 10lb ball, she can't go any heavier doc's orders. I though I say where it had a light wight core.

first thing that comes to mind is, a air bubble that did not get vibrated out during the casting and made it thru the qc. if so falls under warranty. our driller has his own warranty system as well. so he could just order another ball for her and replace it.

I normally do all the leg work when it comes to getting work done on out bowling balls. but she is handling these one herself. god be with the drill.

just hope they figure what is chewing up balls. I have to ball that set of lanes next week.

Based on your description it sounds like the finger hole intersected with the pin part way down the hole.

The material used to create the pin can break out when drilled into.

So the hole you are seeing may have originally been filled with the pin material, but removed during the drilling process.

SandBagger

mike, brunsweck/dv8 conformers what you said. give them a A++ on cs on the quick replay on the email. a friday after 12pm a email back in less then an hour. was not looking for one back until monday.

Hello Corey,

Thank you contacting us. It sounds like the finger hole might be drilled close to the filler (or riser) pin. There is sometimes a small gap between the filler and the core that can look like a small hole. It won't hurt anything or the ball at all. Pretty much every bowling ball has this, normally you just can't see it!

As for the core in the ball, it has an inner core that is solid, but isn't quite like the heavier bowling balls. It is challenging to create a "core shape" and keep the ball a lighter weight ball. The cores of todays bowling balls are dense and heavy. To do that with a #10 would mean you would have a paper thin cover. This isn't exactly a great combo as the cover would give up pretty quickly.

This is a picture of what our #10 and #11s look like. We do offset the inner core to create topweight and give the ball some dynamics and versatility.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this, or any of our other products.
    Thank you and best regards,

RaeMe Schnebelt
    Customer Service Supervisor
    Consumer Products
    Brunswick Bowling Products
    (231) 725-3376 Office
    (920) 907-2702 Fax

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by coreyds012778 View Post
    mike, brunsweck/dv8 conformers what you said. give them a A++ on cs on the quick replay on the email. a friday after 12pm a email back in less then an hour. was not looking for one back until monday.
    Actually what they said is slightly different... and that slight difference means the ball is in violation with USBC rules, and USBC who said one of the things they are doing with our sanction fees, is to inspect balls for voids as all as other violations.

Well it appears Brunswick/DB8 are not surprised when there is a small gab between the pin and the core, which means either there isn't a gap, or USBC isn't doing the job it claims to be doing.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's a pic of the finger hole in my Beatdown, (Which just cracked in half, after a year and a half of service.) which had the pin drilled out and had left a small hole at the bottom of the fingerhole where the filler cameout.

Last edited by bowl1820; 06-20-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

SandBagger

my wife got her ball back. when there pro shop is not in a hurry or overly busy, he does a great job on fixing major damage. (if small dings and minor damage, I don't worry about them). the ball looked good. some how he can match the color of the ball pretty close.