Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Gathering

Chats: 0

Default The Gathering

Iceman requested the exact dates so I decided to copy this from BR.com. The official dates are July 24 - 26. Many come early to make a vacation out of it. I plan to arrive either Tuesday or Wednesday and leave Monday.

The Gathering, this is an annual gathering of bowlers from all over. It basically involves bowling, socializing, bowling, eating, bowling, eating, bowling, drinking, bowling, eating, and oh did I mention bowling. Magic Carpet (Ron Clifton), Mrs Magic Carpet, and the staff at Creekside host this gathering each year. They are amazing! This began as a BallReviews.com and Bowl4Fun get together, any and all bowlers are welcome.

Friday night the center has a Mixed Scotch Doubles that many participate in. Saturday is the Bragging Rights Tournament for the coveted "Bragging Rights Champion T-Shirt." Sunday, for those who hang around, Ron offers some one-on-one coaching. For those who arrive early, it is impromptu.

Toma and Nollster have traditionally organized some golfing and Strider has opened his house for pool and poker Saturday night after the "official" dinner at "Golden Corral."

Many stay at the Extended Stay, Haines Mall. Due to a situation last year, I personally will be looking at other options.

Creekside Lanes
    1450 Trade Mart Blvd
    Winston-Salem, NC 27127
    (336)771-9800

Hotel most have stayed at in the past:
    Extended Stay America Winston-Salem Hanes Mall Blvd
    1995 Hampton Inn Ct
    Winston-Salem, NC 27103
    (336)768-0075

As details are finalized, I will update with specifics. I have been to the previous 6 and always look forward to the next one. If you are even remotely considering attending, do so, you won't regret it. I realize the current economic times may make it tough, but I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. This year I plan to do more than be scorekeeper at the Bragging Rights Tournament ! Last year I had knee problems and did not get to bowl much.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

wow - that was quick.

Situation at the hotel? bad experience there?

About how many go to this each year? Is this something that registration for certain day tournaments is required or recommended?

I do travel alot to bowl at tourneys, and the last few as really made me start researching better options (not just because it's close to the alley). Our State tourney is in Columbus, so the Airport Hotel is almost half distance and headquarters to both alleys for Sgl/dbl and Team events.

We went to Kiwiah Islands (sp?) once in SC a few years ago, and we almost turned around, driving to get there as we were getting close, the area was a bit on the low maintenance side. But once we turned down the long hiway to get to the islands, it was great. It had to be in my thoughts, it was on a golf course, but the area surrounding it made me weary.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I left my cell phone in the room and didn't realize it until I got to the airport. A fellow BR member went the same day and asked about it and was told it was not there. I suspended the service as soon as I got back to the Valley, so it did not cost me anything. It is just that there was some dishonest housekeeping person that upset me.

I might stay there, I'll just be looking at other options. So far they have the best rate and are very close to the center. I have a promo code for a discount that I will post tomorrow. I have to go back and look it up but it gives $25 off for 2 - 6 nights or $50 for 7 - 14 nights.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

Columbia - Blue Dot
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

While we didn't have that kind of a problem there, what had happened was we had no phone in the room for the 4 days we were there, due to the hotel being struck by lightning the night before our arrival, apparently. We'll probably go back there, as we like to have the fridge and the microwave and the stove to keep the wine cold and reheat our leftovers. We usually arrive on Thursday afternoon and leave Monday morning.

How many go each year? It varies. There seem to be more people that show up for the Bragging Rights Tournament than anything else. Col, how many entries were there last year? Something in the 30's, I believe. I came in last, my wife even beat me. Not this year, it's someone else's turn!

There's no need for reservations to have a slot to bowl in the BRT. The Scotch Doubles is a first come, first served tournament that does draw a lot of people and is enormous fun. This trip is the centerpiece of our whole year and we plan everything else around it. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Enjoyed the mini-gathering at seminole last year, So I'll do my best to be there for the main one.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

My computer that had all the info on it crashed, so I don't know the exact number. I believe there were 5 or 6 per pair so that would put it between 30 and 36 entries.

Ron oils 6 pair of lanes, 2 sets of 3 different patterns. He usually does not tell us what pair has what pattern. One is always the house pattern. We move one pair after each game so everyone bowls on every pattern. We tried 6 games, but some can't handle the 6 games and it runs into dinner time, so we have pretty much held the Bragging Rights to 3 games. It is handicapped so everyone feels comfortable participating.

In past BR tournaments we had some sponsors who donated bowling balls. We have had Columbia, Storm, and Lane #1 donate in the past. Last year we didn't have any sponsors. Kevin got teased that he intentionally finished last because the prior year last place got a free bowling ball. No one reminded him there were no balls to give away .
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

Columbia - Blue Dot

I didn't forget about the promo codes, I bowl league Mondays. So here they are $50 off of stays of 7 - 14 days is HPE50 and $25 off of stays of 2 - 6 days is HPE25
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

Columbia - Blue Dot

Keep in mind that Ron's "house pattern" is fairly challenging and relatively light on the oil.

Last year was my second year. Kat, my wife, wasn't looking forward to the Gathering two years ago and ended up having a blast. She plans for the event before I do now. I like it because everyone there likes to bowl. It's always fun to be around those kind of people.

Friday night is the Scotch doubles. They run it at the house every Friday night, so it isn't special to the gathering. Usually there are enough of us there for the gathering by Friday night that we all go out to dinner together, then return to bowl the Scotch doubles.

Saturday afternoon is the bragging rights tournament and the "main event". I enjoy it, but I enjoy the practice with everyone else wrapped around the event even more.

I've inquired about a friendly doubles tournament for Friday afternoon for those who show up early. Once I have an idea of interest, I'll publish more. Last year TP and I went head to head, the stipulation being that I had to throw left-handed. I think the group had more fun with that then TP and I did (she won by the way - I need to find and repost the novelette I wrote about it...)

Sunday Ron generally works with the stragglers giving some free on-lane lessons. He's there throughout the event answering questions and giving advice though. Last year I offered to answer questions and "give lessons" on the benefits of a ball spinner and how changing ball surfaces can help adjust to lane conditions. For some reason, no one took me up on the offer. I suspect many of them are closet ball-spinner addicts just coming off their 12-step program...
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Super Moderator

Well, we've just made our hotel reservations for the Extended Stay. We're arriving on the 23rd and checking out on the
    27th. Nothing like getting them in early, huh? I've requested first floor, too, so we'll see. I get so worn out climbing the stairs by the end of the weekend, and my legs are sore after the first day. Hope to see you all there.

Super Moderator

I've been talking to a guy in NC lately so I'm bumping this so maybe he'll see it. See you all there. Oh, and I don't like "sweet tea."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast