Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-ball arsenal

Default 4-ball arsenal

So i have a 4 ball roller bag... I would like your opinions as to which ball i should take to my leagues. I bowl in two different leagues, same alley... but difference is that Thursday league we bowl after a league, so i would say oil on the lanes are not as fresh. Sunday league, the oil is fresh. I believe its a regular typical house shot. here's what i have as far as my weapons of pin destruction.
    Roto Grip Hypercell
    Roto Grip Hypercell Skid
    Roto Grip Wrecker
    DV8 Thug
    DV8 Thug Unruly (can't use right now, must redrill)
    DV8 Diva Divine
    Storm Zero Gravity

Anyone would like to give me ideas as to which ones i should carry? Please and thank you!

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

IMO get another bag and take them all
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Quote Originally Posted by LyalC52 View Post
    IMO get another bag and take them all
    I don't think it's worth it if you know the conditions you will be bowling on in advance. Honestly, I don't know the DV8s well enough to tell you what you should bring of those. I'd take the zero gravity just because it's nice strong ball and should allow you to play a nice line for the first game and probably the second as well. The Hyper Cell Skid should work to play a little more outside if the zero gravity is too strong. After that, you need a spare ball and ball for lighter oil, so the Wrecker would fit in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    I don't think it's worth it if you know the conditions you will be bowling on in advance. Honestly, I don't know the DV8s well enough to tell you what you should bring of those. I'd take the zero gravity just because it's nice strong ball and should allow you to play a nice line for the first game and probably the second as well. The Hyper Cell Skid should work to play a little more outside if the zero gravity is too strong. After that, you need a spare ball and ball for lighter oil, so the Wrecker would fit in nicely.
    John: I hate to disagree, but it seems that you are looking purely at the cover and totally ignoring the core. The Hyper Cell Skid has an RG of 2.52, and a Diff. of .056. The Zero Gravity has an RG of 2.55 and a Diff. of 0.035. With the same surface, the Hyper Cell rolls earlier and flares less than the Zero Gravity. Surfaces can be changed, cores cannot. While I have not thrown the Hyper Cell, I have thrown the Zero Gravity, and it goes long, and, for a ball that is slightly asymmetrical, is surprisingly smooth at the breakpoint. With a light polish, it works very well on lanes that are beginning to break down.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I'd take the zero gravity, the wrecker, a spare ball, and fill the last slot with tastes snacks... You won't need much else.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    John: I hate to disagree, but it seems that you are looking purely at the cover and totally ignoring the core. The Hyper Cell Skid has an RG of 2.52, and a Diff. of .056. The Zero Gravity has an RG of 2.55 and a Diff. of 0.035. With the same surface, the Hyper Cell rolls earlier and flares less than the Zero Gravity. Surfaces can be changed, cores cannot. While I have not thrown the Hyper Cell, I have thrown the Zero Gravity, and it goes long, and, for a ball that is slightly asymmetrical, is surprisingly smooth at the breakpoint. With a light polish, it works very well on lanes that are beginning to break down.
    Actually Rob he said the Hyper Cell Skid which is longer than the Zero Gravity as long as both are OOB. The Zero Gravity is longer and smoother than I think people expected but it's a better ball than given credit for and makes a good bench mark ball.

I can't imagine needing to throw a Hyper Cell on THS so I would go the following

Benchmark Zero Gravity
    Hyper Cell Skid if I want to move in and wheel it
    Thug if I want to keep a similar line to the Hyper Cell Skid and step down
    Wrecker for transition/lighter oil

I'm not a huge fan of buying the same ball with different surfaces (Hyper Cell/Hyper Cell Skid and Thug/Thug Unruly). To be totally honest you really need a step down from the zero gravity but I don't really see that ball here. The Zero Gravity, Diva Divine, and Thug Unruly are too close together.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Changing the core is exactly what happens during the drilling.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here are two ball comparison charts:

This one gives the main specs on the 7 balls.

This one compares them using just the RG and Diff.

Okay just going by the specs you have

3 Solids, 3 Hybrids and 1 Pearl

2 Symmetricals and 5 Asymmetricals (One is borderline/weak Asymmetrical though)

The Thug and Thug Unruly are basically the same except for Coverstock & Surface, So I'd eliminate one Thug. (Most likely the Thug)

The Hypercell and Hypercell Skid are basically the same except for Coverstock & Surface, So I'd eliminate one Hypercell. (Most likely the Hypercell)

I'd keep the Diva Divine in the rotation.

Now as for the Wreaker and Zero Gravity, Hmm the Z.G. is the more popular one I believe. I might would go with the Wreaker though.

THat gives us the:
    Thug Unruly- Solid, Asymmetrical
    Diva Divine- Hybrid, Symmetrical
    Hypercell Skid- Pearl, Asymmetrical
    Wreaker- Hybrid, Symmetrical

So that's
    2 Asym, 2 Sym.
    1 Solid, 2 Hybrids and 1 Pearl

With a good spread of RG's from low to high.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-21-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Changing the core is exactly what happens during the drilling.
    This is technically true, but Rob wasn't referring to drilling changes. He means that you can't take an asymmetric ball and make it the same as a symmetric ball nor can you make two other fairly different asymmetric cores act the same. Surface preps can be exactly matched in terms of polish or sanding using a spinner.

@Rob, I welcome disagreement anytime. I'm no expert by any means. I am always willing to hear different opinions.
    Last edited by John Anderson; 06-21-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks John. Of course drilling changes the core specs, but it's pretty tough to change the drilling on the fly, while you can change the surface right up until the end of practice.

Upon further reflection, it occurs to me that bowlers who don't want to take the time to learn about cores revert to the old, "well, surface is 75% of ball reaction" crap that just chooses to ignore the other 25% (or more). Ball drillers want us to believe that they can turn any ball into any other ball by how they drill it. I will restate what I've been stating for years: learn to understand the core numbers, stick to two or a maximum of three layouts, and adjust your surfaces to match up to particular lane conditions. It's not rocket science, it's just common sense!
    Last edited by RobLV1; 06-21-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Further Reflection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast