Thread: Storm Optimus Solid Ball Reaction Video Review by bowlingball.com

Default Storm Optimus Solid Ball Reaction Video Review by bowlingball.com

The Optimus with its innovative Tri-Sphere Core makes its triumphant return with the Optimus Solid - the newest addition to Storm's Master Line.
    The Tri-Sphere Core features a low-RG, high differential symmetric core that gives it great length with a big move on the backend. This made the original Optimus an absolute beast at angular entry to the pins.
    Wrap this powerhouse with the R2X Solid Reactive Coverstock finished to a 2000-grit Matte finish and you have a ball that hooks a little earlier and handles higher oil volumes effortlessly while retaining energy through the heads. The Red/Navy/Yellow coverstock with a Cranberry Craze scent makes it distinguished and unique from every other ball on the rack.
    Show them that you're a force to be reckoned with the Storm Optimus Solid.

Buy Now
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Doesn't honestly look that impressive in a video, but it's probably going to be a good highly predictable ball provided it doesn't soak up oil too quickly. I'd pick this as a second, third, or maybe even later choice if I were looking for something that handles "higher oil volumes effortlessly".

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

John, you brought up 2 issues in my reading of your response.
    1: Doesn't what each person looks for determine how impressive the ball is? Some like Arc while others like Flip. Both like a strong continuous finish resulting in strikes.
    2: Coverstock has again raised its head. How quickly oil is soaked up resulting in skid is, to me, an important component not addressed by manufactures. True, delivery style plays into the problem.
    It is as if Urethane is the answer with a horrific weight block to force revs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    John, you brought up 2 issues in my reading of your response.
    1: Doesn't what each person looks for determine how impressive the ball is? Some like Arc while others like Flip. Both like a strong continuous finish resulting in strikes.
    2: Coverstock has again raised its head. How quickly oil is soaked up resulting in skid is, to me, an important component not addressed by manufactures. True, delivery style plays into the problem.
    It is as if Urethane is the answer with a horrific weight block to force revs.
    1 is simply my own opinion and nothing more.

2. In my head I was intending to say that some balls tend to stop performing well after absorbing too much oil and little can be done to restore them to new out of the box condition. Lifespan of the ball is important to me as I sometimes bowl a lot of games in a short time span. This is largely why particle balls are pretty much nonexistent now.

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I am agreeing with you on both points. I just tried to highlight the point in 1 that bowlers need to find the shape they are comfortable with and find an compatible ball and ProShop driller. Currently, I have a 40 by 4 by 30 Mastermind. I look at the drilling for some of the videos for new balls and they are out to 70 by 5 by 65.
    So many variables!!!!!!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    1 is simply my own opinion and nothing more.

2. In my head I was intending to say that some balls tend to stop performing well after absorbing too much oil and little can be done to restore them to new out of the box condition. Lifespan of the ball is important to me as I sometimes bowl a lot of games in a short time span. This is largely why particle balls are pretty much nonexistent now.
    I can't imagine this ball working for me with my style. R2x solid on an early rolling core just wouldn't work for me unless somebody oils to the pins. I tried the original Optimus and it didn't roll well for me at a demo with a pearl cover and much less surface I can't imagine what that thing would do with me throwing it but it wouldn't be pretty.

I'm not sure you can judge the oil absorption tendencies from a video or just the surface of the ball. Some covers tend to absorb oil at higher rates than others but whether that is a problem with R2X or not I have no idea. I'm no expert but I believe the issues with particle balls had more to do with the difficulties with resurfacing them than oil absorption. Particle balls still exist it's just not advertised as such anymore. See any storm ball with the NRG cover or either of the Hypercell's from Roto. I'm sure they are in most Radical balls as Moe and Phil are always talking about the "additives" in their cover stocks and most likely the other manufactures too. The word just became taboo so the average bowler thinks it went away it did not just improved to make the covers more changeable. May be a reason why you still see reviewer's still talk about how well the balls take to surface changes to this day.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone