Thread: Interesting Posts on Surface

Chats: 32

Default Interesting Posts on Surface

A bowler posted this question on another site and I found it interesting within some of the conversations we have been having here lately so I though I would share it:

Sanded Yeti Uncaged close to an Unleashed?

« on: June 20, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »

How close would a sanded Yeti Uncaged be to the Yeti Unleashed? I wanted an Unleashed but the proshop drilled up an Uncaged. What surface will get the Uncaged as close as possible to the reaction of the Unleashed. Is it possible or are the covers just too different? What differences will there be between the two?

The following response was given:

Unfortunately our covers are totally different. We use a friction additive in the unleashed and a projection additive in the uncaged. We rely on chemical friction to get our ball motion, other companies use mechanical friction to get ball motion. Chemical friction means the molecular structure of the cover has the desired friction from the chemical bond created by the polymers and the additives. Sanding it will not alter the chemical friction thus you would simply create a fresh surface of the same friction we designed the cover to have.
    Hope this helps

Phil

For those of you that don't know "Phil" is Phil Cardinale one of the founders of Radical along with Mo Pinel. So opinions is this real? are they actually doing something new? Or is this just marketing for the masses?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

If the pro shop drilled the ball I did not order it would be on them, they would be drilling the one I ordered

I had a minicamp a couple of months ago with guys from Brunswick. Chuck Gardner said something to the effect that Ebonite (although he wouldn't mention them by name, he mentioned Tommy Jones) is the ONLY company that still uses Mechanical Friction.

What Phil Cardinale seems to be saying is that you can't make meaningful surface changes with their balls, which certainly wouldn't be a selling point to me. But from practical experience, I certainly see a change in the reaction of my wife's Radical bowling balls (Grease Monkey, Grease Monkey Pow, Reax Ver 2) when changing surface.

Chats: 204

I like how every company claims their round objects are remarkable different than the other guy's round objects. Motiv has everyone sold that their ball materials are just totally different than anyone else. Radical talks a LOT about how new and awesome their stuff is (yet nobody seems to care). DV8 and their "bad boy" marketing seems to outsell their bog brother Brunswick. And Hammer is far and away the most popular brand of Ebonite International despite their entire line of products being virtually the same from brand to brand.

People buy shiny things, colorful things, things that smell like stuff, and things with silly names.