Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contest June 22, 2015 to June 28, 2015 - Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It's been so long since I won...I forgot what I'm supposed to do. I think I wait for a message from the site administrator. ???
    I'm still waiting for a message on how to receive the $25 gift certificate that you said Bowlingball.com would provide.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I'm still waiting for a message on how to receive the $25 gift certificate that you said Bowlingball.com would provide.
    That makes me sad. The site definitely did say they'd give the gift certificate to the VBT winner and you WERE the winner...and the site was notified. Hmm.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by dougb View Post
    I hope I didn't come across like I was begrudging you the win! I was just curious how many times you've won. There is a guy on another board I frequent that has probably won 5-6 balls in the last year.

I won once and consider myself lucky to have won. It was a random drawing.

Enjoy the Gold Rhino Pro! I had an original and now I'm getting one of the vintage series ones. If it is anything like the vintage Lt-48, which uses the same core, then we are both in for a treat!
    Yeah lt-48 core with the cover off the Fortera Exile. Sounds interesting to me I may end up actually buying one.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler
    Chats: 0

That makes me sad. The site definitely did say they'd give the gift certificate to the VBT winner and you WERE the winner...and the site was notified. Hmm.
    Winner combo. From what I heard a little stronger on the backend than the LT-48 (2-4 boards), more recovery, but very clean through the fronts like the LT-48. I can't wait to drill mine up!

IF I actully won it, I think I'd put it as #3 in the following arsenal progression:

Brunswick Aura Mystic, 900Global TheNuts, Gold Rhino Pro, Brunswick Fortera Exile

"TheNuts" is the real wild card given it's kinda a weird ball in terms of specs…a very high RG with a solid cover….but I think the 3 Brunswick balls would compliment each other quite well.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 176; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

IF I actully won it, I think I'd put it as #3 in the following arsenal progression:

Brunswick Aura Mystic, 900Global TheNuts, Gold Rhino Pro, Brunswick Fortera Exile

"TheNuts" is the real wild card given it's kinda a weird ball in terms of specs…a very high RG with a solid cover….but I think the 3 Brunswick balls would compliment each other quite well.
    Wow three skid flip balls and a go long solid. That's a weird arsenal my friend. The exile and aurora mystic are closer than you think the exile will be longer but they are both skid flip pieces. The gold rhino will be less agressive than the other two but still long and a sharp turn. I've never seen "the nuts" and from the numbers I couldn't even guess what it's going to be like. You need some help selecting out your next arsenal you've got some unusual pieces and I'm just not sure how you should put it together but I do not think what your talking about there would be good.

Not trying to rain on your parade and maybe they work better together than I think but I would seriously get some very qualified advice before drilling that set of balls up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

First, it doesn't matter that much since I've yet to get an e-mail or PM from the site saying I've won it. I'm assuming the site administrator is probably still on vacation or something. Or maybe he's waiting for me to drill and get a picture with the last one (SOON!! THIS MONTH!!!) before sending me this one.

In contrast to your concerns, I'm actually VERY excited about "Arsenal #4"...so much so I've been tempted to bump it up to #3 or #2. Unlike my current arsenal and #2/#3...the one I described would have 3 very modern pieces with "The Nuts" thrown in as the wild card. Granted, by the time I use it...it might be considered "old technology"...but if the ball companies are going to release a new line-up twice a year...claiming it's WAAAY better than their old stuff (without any real tangible evidence to support those claims)...a person can't really be on the cutting edge of the equipment. I'd be like that guy that has to have the new iphone the day it comes out and then a year later has to have the newest one again. Meanwhile...they're paying $1200 to essentially beta test a phone for Apple. All the people with 1-2 year old iphones meanwhile...paid $100-$200 for a phone where all the bugs have been fixed and it works just fine.

After seeing how fast balls are replaced and seeing how the new balls are essentially just old cores and covers that are re-combined to make a "new ball"...I guess I've just lost faith in the bowling ball companies to truly be honest players. With the exception of a few new releases (Mastermind, Deadly Aim, 'maybe' the Crux...) I've seen very few new releases that outperform older reactive resin balls. And even though I'm a Brunswick guy and love the stuff that has come out of their system the past couple years...the Melee series, the Mastermind series, the paranormal series, and the Fortera series for example...I'm equally frustrated with them because there was no need to retire the original Mastermind, no real need for the Intellect, and no real need for the new Einstein as far as I can tell. It just seems like they are releasing balls for the sake of releasing balls. And that's fine...release 50 per year if ya want...knock yourself out...but they CAN'T say that each release is a technological advancement...not at the pace they're releasing stuff.

Take the Rhino Pro (vintage gold) for example. It's a combination of the LT-48 and Fortera. It's not a 'new' ball...it's a re-hash of previously released balls. And they stamp "Johnny Petraglia" on it or "Rhino Pro" and hope that bowlers will flock to it (Hammer did the same thing with the Black Widow name) because they remember it from the "old days". Now...does that mean I'm not interested in the Rhino Pro? Of course not. Like I said, I watched Parker tear up the first 2 PBA50 events with that ball and it looked like a great ball for medium-low oil or for medium to short patterns.

The bottom line is it has a PerfectScale score of like 170.8. That means it's OVERALL hook potential is similar to the Storm Ride or Storm Hy Road. Both rather mid-upper performance balls. All 3 have symmetric cores. The other two balls are hybrids...yet have very high RGs compared to the Rhino Pro which is a pearl but has a very low RG (2.52). So, I really, honestly don't think this ball will be as "skid/flip" as the Fortera Exile. It's RG is just too low and it doesn't have an assymetric core. And that gets into the "old Optimus argument/discussion" of whether you can call a symmetric core bowling ball "skid/flip". I say, "no"...to truly be a "long/snap" or "skid/flip" or whatever you want to call it...it must have a high RG (to go long)...and it 'should' have an assymetric core (to flip or snap)...and it would be nice if it has a Pearl cover (to aid in going long and to keep from entering the hook and roll phases too soon).

So...all that non-Mudpuppy Cliff note babble aside...which is really only stated to annoy those that hate hearing about bowling ball specs...the Rhino Pro looks like it will serve a purpose similar to what I am planning for my Rotogrip Asylum (ironically the ball I won in the last giveaway over a year ago). I think the Rhino Pro would be a good option for broken down patterns, shorter patterns, drier patterns...not the first ball or even 2nd ball out of the bag in most cases. I don't think it'll have as much overall hook as the Asylum...but I think it'll be more angular. The only trouble I have with it is the RG. 2.52 is very low. That makes me worried that on mid-drier patterns, the ball may want to enter the hook phase too soon. That could be problematic for what I have intended for it. Because I don't think it has the overall movement to be used on fresh patterns...but on burnt up patterns it may try to "snap" too soon...roll out too soon, etc...

But...part of the equation is specs...part of the equation is drilling...and part of the equation is observation. I learned that with the Bullet Train. It was supposed to replace the Frantic as a 3rd ball in my progression...it ended up being the 1st ball out of the bag...it's S79 cover was just too strong so it was hooking way sooner than I thought it would and was useless on burnt up or dry patterns. But I couldn't "know" that for certain until I actually threw it. The Gold Rhino may end up with a similar fate...but I doubt it given it's PerfectScale rating. Like I've said before...as simplistic as the PerfectScale is...and it definitely doesn't tell the whole story...I've found in practice...it is probably the best measure available for accurately predicting how much a ball will hook. I haven't seen many balls with a low PerfectScale rating that end up being the first out of the bag in heavy/fresh conditions...not without an MWhite type of rev rate.

The other key to success in arsenal selection is drilling. I consider drilling to be a very minor part of what a ball will do...based on my own testing. BUT...the advantage of switching arsenals all at once is I can have them drilled in a way where there is as much difference from #1 to #2 to #3 to #4...that even if the ball specs are close...you can get some separation. When you add a ball piece mail...then another...then another...it's harder to do that.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 176; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowl1820-

Let Bowlingboards know I got their message about the ball and tried to reply but their mailbox is full.

Who knew the site administrator has a message limit as well?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Bowl1820-

Let Bowlingboards know I got their message about the ball and tried to reply but their mailbox is full.

Who knew the site administrator has a message limit as well?
    I sent them a message, I also tried their pm and it didn't say it was full. So maybe they cleared it already, so you might try it again.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I sent them a message, I also tried their pm and it didn't say it was full. So maybe they cleared it already, so you might try it again.
    Am I responding to the right spot??? I keep getting this:

Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission
    BowlingBoards.com has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast