Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Frustrated

Chats: 32

To some extent you are both correct. I do believe one of the reasons I'm bowling as well every where else is do to playing on these tougher conditions but I have seen enough of the guys who bowl at that house go to tournaments in other houses and have no idea how to even make the ball move. I really don't mind the challenge of the harder conditions and having to adjust and look for my shot every time I go. What gets me is the way these lanes cater to the higher speed bowlers. We've been at this for 7 weeks now and I don't think a top level bowler has won the ending challenge yet.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I feel your pain Amyers. I bowl in the same house as How do I hook again. For years people have complained about the condition of the lanes and the shot that is put out. Their responce was " A good good bowler can adjust to any shot" And the bowlers did just that. They adjusted where they bowl. Just about all the high average players have left. Now I think they survive by birthday parties.

Chats: 0

wow do I understand where you are coming from. I like to get to the lanes about an hour before league when they are oiling so I can see how far they are oiling. I see the machine running but where is the oil on my ball? The last few league nights I have put away everything reactive and used only my Hammer Taboo Spare ball. When you spend 200 on a new ball it's a bummer to have to dig back in the bag for an older plastic ball. Don't get me wrong I love that taboo spare but really has oil gotten that expensive? I'll be glad to chip in for a couple gallons if it will help.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    To some extent you are both correct. I do believe one of the reasons I'm bowling as well every where else is do to playing on these tougher conditions but I have seen enough of the guys who bowl at that house go to tournaments in other houses and have no idea how to even make the ball move. I really don't mind the challenge of the harder conditions and having to adjust and look for my shot every time I go. What gets me is the way these lanes cater to the higher speed bowlers. We've been at this for 7 weeks now and I don't think a top level bowler has won the ending challenge yet.
    It's not the lanes that cater to higher speed bowlers, it's the bowling balls.

They generate so much friction, as you increase speed, you can still achieve angle of entry.

With low tech balls, there is a peak where if you throw faster, you get less reaction.

While throwing slower you get more reaction (i.e. angle of entry), but by throwing it slower, the ball has less momentum into the pins.

It is a balancing act.

Watch Belmonte, he throws it fast, gets ball reaction, but his accuracy into the pocket isn't great.

Fortunately for him, his weak 10 pins tend to get taken out by messengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    It's not the lanes that cater to higher speed bowlers, it's the bowling balls.

They generate so much friction, as you increase speed, you can still achieve angle of entry.

With low tech balls, there is a peak where if you throw faster, you get less reaction.

While throwing slower you get more reaction (i.e. angle of entry), but by throwing it slower, the ball has less momentum into the pins.

It is a balancing act.

Watch Belmonte, he throws it fast, gets ball reaction, but his accuracy into the pocket isn't great.

Fortunately for him, his weak 10 pins tend to get taken out by messengers.
    Belmonte is probably one of the most accurate bowlers on tour. He gets it into the pocket more times than not. Yes, he gets a lot of messengers due to his power and speed but he really doesn't miss the pocket much either.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Belmonte is probably one of the most accurate bowlers on tour. He gets it into the pocket more times than not. Yes, he gets a lot of messengers due to his power and speed but he really doesn't miss the pocket much either.
    Depends on what you mean by "gets into the pocket" if you mean that he makes contact with the 1-3 pins then yes he does but in what Mike was saying here is about being in control of where and how the ball enters the 1-3 pocket was it "weak", "flush" "dead center". I don't think Belmo always has excellent command or sometimes even average command (for a PBA Level bowler) of where he's hitting the pocket. He makes up for this with tremendous ball speed and angle of entry. This is not a nock on him just how I see it from watching him bowl. He is also an excellent spare shooter on split conversions.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Depends on what you mean by "gets into the pocket" if you mean that he makes contact with the 1-3 pins then yes he does but in what Mike was saying here is about being in control of where and how the ball enters the 1-3 pocket was it "weak", "flush" "dead center". I don't think Belmo always has excellent command or sometimes even average command (for a PBA Level bowler) of where he's hitting the pocket. He makes up for this with tremendous ball speed and angle of entry. This is not a nock on him just how I see it from watching him bowl. He is also an excellent spare shooter on split conversions.
    Guess what I'm saying is he is as accurate as other pro bowlers. His advantage is more power, better pin carry, and of course the rather common flying messenger pins.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    He gets "around" the pocket.

A good pocket hit doesn't send messengers.

The head pin transfers most of it's energy into the 2 pin, instead of a glancing blow and then heading towards the left wall.

Banned

He's been known to miss the occasional 2-4-8 by a WIDE margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiewoodard57 View Post
    wow do I understand where you are coming from. I like to get to the lanes about an hour before league when they are oiling so I can see how far they are oiling. I see the machine running but where is the oil on my ball? The last few league nights I have put away everything reactive and used only my Hammer Taboo Spare ball. When you spend 200 on a new ball it's a bummer to have to dig back in the bag for an older plastic ball. Don't get me wrong I love that taboo spare but really has oil gotten that expensive? I'll be glad to chip in for a couple gallons if it will help.
    If they are doing a complete job of stripping and oiling, the machine will go the entire length of the lane. If they are just doing a head run, it's probably just 25 or 30 feet. If you are seeing them running the machine before league and the ball is coming back devoid of oil, you are probably setting it down on the dry boards on the outside part of the lane. Try playing different parts of the lane in practice and see if you see oil on your ball on any of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast