Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ball Speed Discussion

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The measuring devices on the lanes are notorious for being off.

The best way to use them, is for seeing when your speed varies not how many mph your rolling. Knowing if your speed is falling off while bowling a league/tourney is more important information at the time than knowing if your rolling at 12mph or 19mph.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

I tried to keep track of it during bowling and and the speed ranged from the low 14s and low 17s. Most of the differences frame to frame were slight but I think the biggest difference frame to frame was 1.92mph. Is there an acceptable range of ball speed differences shot to shot? I'm sure the goal would be 0mph…but what differences do the pros see? Anyone know?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I tried to keep track of it during bowling and and the speed ranged from the low 14s and low 17s. Most of the differences frame to frame were slight but I think the biggest difference frame to frame was 1.92mph. Is there an acceptable range of ball speed differences shot to shot? I'm sure the goal would be 0mph…but what differences do the pros see? Anyone know?
    A ball thrown mainly on the dry portion of the lane is going to show a speed much lower than a ball tugged into the oil.

That is when you actually release the ball at the same speed.

Likewise most spare shots will read faster because you're shooting cross lane, which includes the center of the lane where the oil is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123