Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Read an Oil Pattern Sheet: Understanding Bowling Lane Oil Patterns

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Well they DO EXIST. Both of the Brunswick houses I bowl in post the oil pattern sheets, at the front desk and at both ends. They also post the sheet for the sports pattern they put out on a few lanes on Sunday morning. I never think to much about the THS unless the lanes are reacting much different than normal and then we look to see if they changed length or quantity as they do when they transition from summer to fall and back to summer.
    As much as I hate the idea of defending Rob, this situation is slightly different.

He said "Chuck, if you are talking about getting a pattern sheet for the centers at which you usually bowl, they don't exist. "

He's not saying they don't exist anywhere.

I'm under the impression Chuck also bowls in Vegas, so Rob is being specific to those centers.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    As much as I hate the idea of defending Rob, this situation is slightly different.

He said "Chuck, if you are talking about getting a pattern sheet for the centers at which you usually bowl, they don't exist. "

He's not saying they don't exist anywhere.

I'm under the impression Chuck also bowls in Vegas, so Rob is being specific to those centers.
    Well, I might give him that, but it isn't really what was said. Statements need to be clear as that could be taken by another bowler to not to even try and ask about the information. You're probably right, just another example of "say what you mean, and mean what you say", which seems to be getting more difficult with our social media influx.

So glad, I could give you something to defend one of your worst enemies - LOL. Sometimes we all just need to get along with all the boys and girls on the playground.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Well, I might give him that, but it isn't really what was said. Statements need to be clear as that could be taken by another bowler to not to even try and ask about the information. You're probably right, just another example of "say what you mean, and mean what you say", which seems to be getting more difficult with our social media influx.

So glad, I could give you something to defend one of your worst enemies - LOL. Sometimes we all just need to get along with all the boys and girls on the playground.
    Okay, Granny, I'll try to be more clear and concise. Over the past 30+ years I have bowled in Leagues in Los Angeles County, CA, Ventura County, CA, Santa Barbara County, CA, Solon, OH, Streetsboro, OH, Wilson, NC, and Las Vegas, NV. In all of the centers where I have bowled leagues, and many more in which I have practiced, I can count the number of houses that post pattern sheets for their house shot on one finger: Virgin River Lanes, in Mesquite, NV. As of the last tournament I bowled there some six or seven years ago, there had never been a 300 game bowled there. I believe that trend continues as the Winner of the Southern Nevada Masters in 2013 (who defeated, Robert Smith and Mike DeVaney among others in match play), bowls league there and averages below 200. When I have asked about the specifics of the house pattern at many, many bowling centers, I am told one of the following things:

1. I don't know what the pattern is, only that it is (insert pattern length here).
    2. I know what it is, but if I tell you, I'll get fired.
    3. I don't what what the pattern is.
    4. I know what it is, but if I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

There, is that specific enough for you, or can I just say that (based on my experience at over 100 bowling centers in various states) pattern sheets for house shots don't exist?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

1. I don't know what the pattern is, only that it is (insert pattern length here).
    2. I know what it is, but if I tell you, I'll get fired.
    3. I don't what what the pattern is.
    4. I know what it is, but if I tell you, I'll have to kill you.
    That's about all I've heard too!.

There's a number 5 also.

5. All I know is that it's program #(insert number) on the machine and they lost the manual that tells what pattern that is.

They told me here they used pattern #2 in the (Kustodian Ion) manual that they had "lost", but I downloaded it.

Pattern #2 is:
    42' with a Volume of 22.65ml

Pattern #2: This is a starting point pattern for medium friction surfaces like Kegel Edge™ and AMF HPL™ 9000 and/or medium to higher lineage league play. This is located in slot #2 of the machine and is 42 feet. Modifications off of this pattern should allow for higher scores for most styles of player.

Which they modded to 41' (I walked the lane and the pattern ended right at 41'), maybe because we use Brunswick Pro Anvilanes.

Though it could really be a mod of pattern #1 which is 40' volume of 20.35ml

Pattern #1: This is a starting point pattern for low friction surfaces like Brunswick Pro Anvilane™ and/or low lineage league play. This is located in slot #1 of the machine and is 40
    feet. Modifications off of this pattern should allow for higher scores for most styles of player.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Of the three houses I bowl in two of them use Kegel Challenge or Recreation patterns different ones for different leagues they will tell you if you ask and you can download the sheets on line. The other house uses option #4 they could tell you but then they would have to kill you. At the end of the day these play different from house to house though anyways because of differences in the lane surfaces from house to house.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Okay this ends now.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12