Thread: Do lift grips vs oval grips change your PAP?

Default Do lift grips vs oval grips change your PAP?

Just something I was thinking about. I currently have lift grips but will be getting ovals + thumb slug on a new ball. Do you think this is going to drastically change my PAP? I know there is no way to know for sure other than getting it checked, but I'm wondering whether it's even worth measuring for PAP using my old ball with lift grips or if I have to replace them in order to get any useful data.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Just something I was thinking about. I currently have lift grips but will be getting ovals + thumb slug on a new ball. Do you think this is going to drastically change my PAP? I know there is no way to know for sure other than getting it checked, but I'm wondering whether it's even worth measuring for PAP using my old ball with lift grips or if I have to replace them in order to get any useful data.
    I don't think that the type of grip would make a significant change in your PAP.
    John

Sort of related, will they change rev rate? My release now is more modern but I've still been using lift grips... so I'm thinking that I'll be switching up (or changing when I get my current balls resurfaced).

Chats: 0

I had the lifts and switched to ovals and a thumb slug and have notice no difference except the comfort is better.

The only thing about which you need to be aware is that changing from lifts to ovals will shorten your span. This may change your PAP slightly, but the span change is the bigger issue.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Changing grip styles could change your PAP a little, but not drastically.

The lift grips do give the hole a slight change in pitch towards the forward (palm) direction.

Thanks for the insight you guys. Just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't have to get an old ball re-drilled just to get the right PAP for a new one.