Thread: Wooden Lanes in NY?

Default Wooden Lanes in NY?

2002-2006 I was stationed in Fort Drum, NY and the closest town to it was Watertown (on post alley was synthetic), and in that town I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) there was a wooden lanes alley, I went there once. Now I live in Queens, does anyone know of wooden lanes in 5 boroughs or anywhere nearby?

I'm actually hoping for an answer from somewhere on Long Island, but my research pointed to this alley http://www.thegutterbrooklyn.com it's a tiny alley, 8 lanes with very limited for my liking hours, and pricey, but unless I'll find better options, I'll pay this one a visit.

Chats: 4

Wow $7.00 per game is a little bit more than pricey if you
    ask me. I can bowl 7 games for that much around here.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Wow $7.00 per game is a little bit more than pricey if you
    ask me. I can bowl 7 games for that much around here.
    First, it's NY. It's $4 a game during peak times where I am. $6 for two hours of bowling though during non peak.

I say forget the nonsense of trying to only bowl on wood lanes. Synthetics are actually nicer lanes and are more consistent.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by NYMIKE View Post
    I'm actually hoping for an answer from somewhere on Long Island, but my research pointed to this alley http://www.thegutterbrooklyn.com it's a tiny alley, 8 lanes with very limited for my liking hours, and pricey, but unless I'll find better options, I'll pay this one a visit.
    The place looks like a death trap.

The approaches appear to be as badly maintained as the lanes, which don't look like they would pass a real USBC inspection.
    Last edited by Mike White; 07-06-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Chats: 0

I'd bet they don't even have a lane conditioner and everything looks so dirty. the channels look like a kids sand box wow and 7 dollars?? At our house for 10.90 we start at 3pm and bowl till midnight.

Yeah, I'm reluctant to go there myself, it's in the heart of Williamsburg, hipsterville USA. Bowling is very expensive in NYC, however I signed up at AMF, I can bowl three games every day for the whole summer, and I get two practice games a week. When the summer promotion ends it be $3 a game as a league member. I just want a nostalgia experience of bowling on wood lanes, but yeah probably that place is not the answer.

As a side note, I live in Queens, we only have 5 alleys left standing, about the same in Brooklyn, and the Bronx. The manager of my AMF told me they did well as a business the passed 2 years, they supposed to get new lanes and new computers installed.
    Last edited by NYMIKE; 07-06-2015 at 07:01 PM.

http://36.media.tumblr.com/3b2d24cb2...c70o1_1280.jpg

Van Nest bowling, much better looking alley, this one been around for decades, and movies been filmed here. Keep the score yourself lol, or have pinpal do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYMIKE View Post
    Yeah, I'm reluctant to go there myself, it's in the heart of Williamsburg, hipsterville USA. Bowling is very expensive in NYC, however I signed up at AMF, I can bowl three games every day for the whole summer, and I get two practice games a week. When the summer promotion ends it be $3 a game as a league member. I just want a nostalgia experience of bowling on wood lanes, but yeah probably that place is not the answer.

As a side note, I live in Queens, we only have 5 alleys left standing, about the same in Brooklyn, and the Bronx. The manager of my AMF told me they did well as a business the passed 2 years, they supposed to get new lanes and new computers installed.
    On a side note, I'm going to Williamsburg tomorrow.