Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond frustrated and completely lost

Default Beyond frustrated and completely lost

Hello bowlers,

I am new to this forum, and the reason I come here is to get other perspectives. I am currently a right-handed bowler who recently decided to revamp my game and go from throwing a backhanded ball to a right-handed hook. I have taken several lessons, and I seem to be getting worse instead of better. There are times when I throw the right-handed hook properly; there are other times when I have no clue. It's like it comes and goes. I have been told that it's like shaking someone's hand BS, but that just does not resignate with me.

I was considering getting some wrist support to try and train my brain how to properly release the ball, but I have been warned that sometimes bowlers become too dependent on wrist supports. I think if I use one, it can help make me consistent and teach me how to properly throw the ball. However, I don't want to use it as a crutch forever.

What are some perspectives on this. I think it is beyond time for me to figure something out. I have no answers whatsoever when it comes to my release. I have gotten advice and taking lessons, but it's just not clicking.

Should I go with the wrist support to start? Or should I just keep working at it. My coach told me that he wore a wrist support for five years, and he no longer uses it. However, the guy at the pro shop (and several others) seem to think it's a bad idea because they say people become too dependent on wrist support. They said it's my choice, but to understand that it's possible I could become too dependent on it.

I am lost and not getting anywhere anyway, so what do I have to lose???

What are your thoughts?

I wore a wrist support years ago and when it wore out stopped using it , just last month I started using a mongoose lifter and have found it helping to keep my wrist straight.
    It's not like getting dependent on a wrist support is that big of a deal IMHO, it's not like getting hooked on smoking, drinking, crack or meth.... those are some really harmful things ! I know several pro-shop owners and high school bowling coaches that use wrist supports.

Thanks, Tony. I may have to use one then, for a while. I don't plan on becoming pro, so that won't work against me. I just hope to average in the 200's someday.

I don't know why some people are so worried about becoming dependent on them...

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by PAV1983 View Post
    Thanks, Tony. I may have to use one then, for a while. I don't plan on becoming pro, so that won't work against me. I just hope to average in the 200's someday.

I don't know why some people are so worried about becoming dependent on them...
    Most people who will say they don't want to become dependent on a wrist device, will cry bloody murder if there is of a change in their THS pattern.

Seems they are more dependent than they realize.

Chats: 0

Don't know enough about how strong your forearm strength is to tell you what to do. I will say that if you having trouble with maintaining your arm/wrist position, try a support.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It's great your taking lessons! The idea that you seem to be getting worse instead of better is a common feeling amoung people when they first get coaching.

You have to give it time, it can take several weeks before it all starts to "sink in" and for your body to develop the muscle memory etc.

So don't get discouraged!

The use of wrist braces has been a long running debate (like many others in bowling).

One side saying they encourage a proper release and takes a variable out of the delivery and the other saying that they are limiting and don't allow proper development of the bowling-hand muscles and can become a crutch.

Both statements are true, Wrist braces/bands like many thing's have their pros & cons. They can help some people, but are not for everybody.

Some Pros:
    They can be a excellent training tool in that they help the hand and wrist hold the same position throughout the entire swing and during the release.

If you have a weak wrist they can help you develop a consistency and a memory of that position.

They can help give you a stronger wrist position which helps give you a few more rpm's.

They help your speed a little, the ball feels lighter

Some Cons:
    The bad thing about them is that they lock you into a position. Which limits the versatility of your release.

While they can help give you a few more rpm on your rev's, it's only up to a point after that it can limit them.

When using the more advanced braces, you have to be careful not to let it control you, because they can cause you to do things like "top the ball" or over rotate your hand around the ball. So you have to control it.

As for becoming dependent, that's up to you.

If you use one and are satisfied with your game, then use it.

If your not satisfied then drop it, going without does give you the most versatility in your release.

There's no way to tell if one will help you or not other than to try one.

A lot of pro-shops will let you try one before you buy it, to see how you like it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

In learning a new skill, one often loses some ground in technique, because, not only are you building good habits, you're breaking bad ones that you've gotten really good at. Losing ground in the learning process is a good sign. Even pros who've been at it for years have cycles. It's just not a consistent curve.

Wrist supports:
    They're there for a reason. There's a demand for them. I've seen pros use them. Missy Parkin uses one, if I'm not mistaken. I used one when I began taking lessons back in college. Then I stopped, because my game developed. I'm considering going back to one, because my game is changing again. To my thinking, if it's improving your game consistently, it's not a "crutch" any more than your THS is a "crutch." It's just what you're "used to." When it begins to limit your game, take it away. Don't refuse to use it just because someone put a label on it.

for what its worth I used a wrist support for a while until I was strong enough that I could cup the ball during my swing. I started with the "handshake" release because with a wrist support that's about all you can do. (Now I cup and uncup like I'm throwing a yo yo and get much more on the ball). My mental block with the handshake release was thinking about it like the ball was rolling off your hand in a handshake position in front of your body instead of by your side. My thought was "if i'm in a hand shake position wont the finger holes press against the side of my fingers as I release, and not the pads?" In actuality you start the handshake with the floor by your slide foot and just let the ball fall off your thumb and roll of the pads of your fingers (which must be kept firm).

Your mileage may vary.. but as a new bowler that was my mental block.

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Some Cons:
    The bad thing about them is that they lock you into a position. Which limits the versatility of your release.
    I want to respond to this point. The Roby II I use and the Storm Gadget I had come with settings that allow changing the hand and wrist positions easily.
    This is helpful when going from added revs to a straighter ball for spares. Often, when the wrist and forearm get tired, the delivery can change during release and it is difficult to maintain the release you want. This is especially true for older players, of which I am one.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-12-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: fix bbcode

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    I want to respond to this point. The Roby II I use and the Storm Gadget I had come with settings that allow changing the hand and wrist positions easily.
    This is helpful when going from added revs to a straighter ball for spares. Often, when the wrist and forearm get tired, the delivery can change during release and it is difficult to maintain the release you want. This is especially true for older players, of which I am one.
    True there are adjustable braces, I use a Moro Pro-Release myself which is adjustable. But even those lock you into one set position during your release,

Which limits the different wrist actions a bowler may wish to take when releasing the ball.

Another thing to note is if you really commit to using a wrist brace (usually the more advanced ones), you should have your grip/span measured while wearing it. Because they can affect your span measurement.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast