Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm never helping old people ever again!!

Chats: 204

I'd never bring more than 7. 6-ball roller and a Joey is about as many as I'd consider on a league night.

If it's an important tournament or you're trying to bowl for a living...then maybe double that to 14...but yeah...15 or higher is absurd. At some point you have to abandon faith in the equipment and garner up some faith in your game/skill.

Usually, he shows up with a 6-ball roller with a Joey for one of his spare balls. And then he has another 3-ball roller as well. So most every night it's 9 balls. Every other week...he has a new ball or gets one of his balls re-drilled. I think he bowls in like 5-9 leagues in all different centers around the area. In addition to the 9 balls he usually brings, he has at least 2 additional 3-ball rollers and I think 1-2 loose balls in his car. So that = 15-17. He's been known to switch balls each frame until he finds what he likes...but as soon as he doesn't strike a couple times...he'll grab another one. I'd say on average he uses 6 different balls per night.

He's the epitomy of the "arsenal bowler" that I used to speak badly of when I was a new bowler. I now have come around and realized the need for a reasonable (4-6 ball) arsenal...but guys like this give arsenal bowlers a bad name because there is no method to his madness...he's just reaching into that grab bag figuring eventually he'll pull out a gem.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

"Oh thank God!"

-Old People Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have not even owned 16 balls over all the years I've bowled and there is certainly no way I would try to haul anywhere near that many balls anywhere, I think the max I would bring is 3 or 4.
    This. Spare ball. Light oil. Medium Oil. Heavy Oil. That's it. The rest can be accomplished easily with technique.

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    This. Spare ball. Light oil. Medium Oil. Heavy Oil. That's it. The rest can be accomplished easily with technique.
    I have a med-heavy oil ball, med-dry oil ball and a spare ball. For the most part I can play just the med-heavy ball and spare ball all night unless they don't oil or put down way lighter oil than usual, they do one or the other 5 to 10 times a season it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    "Oh thank God!"

-Old People Everywhere
    They're getting desperate if they elected dhoff as the spokesperson for old people.

What is your cutoff for old. I'm inching towards 40. I feel old

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    What is your cutoff for old. I'm inching towards 40. I feel old
    I'd say....to keep from Rob adding a "your definition of old" tax to my upcoming lesson...I'm gonna say 'old' is 69 or higher. It's hard to say because curmudgeonry is not entirely age dependent. But lets just say 69.

Chats: 0

Hmm. Interesting. I bowled in a "Senior" league for the first time this year. When we asked the house about the oil conditions they said - oh, we only use about half the oil for the seniors. THEY DON'T HAVE SOPHISICATED BOWLING BALLS". I thought that was interesting and will not bowl there for the summer league again - my balls are new and up-to-date equipment. I asked my son if he could find his old Rhino ball so I could have it redrilled for me. The conditions were perfect.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    Hmm. Interesting. I bowled in a "Senior" league for the first time this year. When we asked the house about the oil conditions they said - oh, we only use about half the oil for the seniors. THEY DON'T HAVE SOPHISICATED BOWLING BALLS". I thought that was interesting and will not bowl there for the summer league again - my balls are new and up-to-date equipment. I asked my son if he could find his old Rhino ball so I could have it redrilled for me. The conditions were perfect.
    Have you ever watch a bunch of seniors playing Bingo.

1/2 the crowd is yelling to call the numbers slower.

The other 1/2 wants the numbers called faster.

And almost all of them want the numbers called louder.

If it's true that most of the seniors don't have "sophisticated" bowling balls, you feel the center should cater to your needs with the equipment you purchased?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123