Thread: Spare ball rolling over thumb hole.

Default Spare ball rolling over thumb hole.

My track usually runs very close to the thumb hole but not over it until now, seems the DV8 black spare ball rolls right over the thumb hole.
    I am not thrilled with the thump thump sound of it and would like to alter the ball to reduce / prevent it from happening. Would making a properly placed balance hole help with this or what other options do I have ?

Listen carefully to the sound when Walter Ray Williams Jr. (nicknamed "Dead-eye") throws at spares. That thumping sound means that you are rolling your spare ball end over end which is exactly what you want it to do.

The only thing you can really do is to make sure that the thumb hole is properly beveled around the hole rim so that the noise may be lessened. Rolling the ball this way means you can throw it near perfectly straight, which is an awesome thing.

Thanks for the feedback, now if I can only get used to throwing straight at the 10 pin !

Chats: 0

I was going to get a T-zone as a spare ball but then learned a neat way to use my strike ball to pick up 6,9 and 10 pin spares. (wish I could remember who to thank for it) Some one posted " my coach said to walk the 39 board and use the 3 arrow" wow does that work great! I had a hard time with the 10 pin before that advice. Unlike Tony, who seems to be able to throw it perfectly straight, mine seemed to wonder with my release being use to my strike ball. I do have a taboo spare ball but it mainly comes into play on very dry lanes since it goes all but straight. It handles dry lanes much like my Crux does on oil. I love that ball for dry conditions. Tony you are blessed wish mine rolled that straight but we adapt.
    Last edited by Jessiewoodard57; 07-27-2015 at 01:51 PM.

stick to a polyester "plastic" ball. I'm a "thumper" too when it comes to rolling my spare ball. I go through a lot of thumb repairs and/or spares balls. but I rather deal with that than using my strike ball for spares. I made a switch before but it required more focus and awareness/thinking when using a strike ball. Plus, on some shorter sport patterns, wolf, cheetah, and city patterns, using a strike ball for spares I had to work harder to keep it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    stick to a polyester "plastic" ball. I'm a "thumper" too when it comes to rolling my spare ball. I go through a lot of thumb repairs and/or spares balls. but I rather deal with that than using my strike ball for spares. I made a switch before but it required more focus and awareness/thinking when using a strike ball. Plus, on some shorter sport patterns, wolf, cheetah, and city patterns, using a strike ball for spares I had to work harder to keep it straight.
    One good thing is at least the spare balls are less expensive ! I have become so used to throwing a strike ball for 10 pin spares I have to really think about it to throw a plastic ball straight at the pin and sometime fling it in the ditch a few feet short of the pin.