Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long should I expect my ball(s) to last?

Default How long should I expect my ball(s) to last?

I recently got a new ball, a Track MX10 (15 lbs). So far, I really like it. Having a bit of a problem adjusting to it still, but I suppose that's what can be expected when you change balls (that, and the fact that I only bowl once a week right now). I'm using my old ball, an Ebonite Cyclone (14 lbs), as my spare ball so I don't have to spend $80 on a new spare ball. I've had that one for just about a year now. I really like what I have because the MX10 has what I want in a ball, and my Cyclone can be used for not only my spare ball, but my strike ball if there's little/no oil on the lanes. Both seem to fit me well and I don't have many complaints with either.

As you probably could have guessed from the thread title, I want to know how long I should expect these balls to last. I'm really not talking about when I should get a new ball in terms of progression (though if you could estimate that as well, that would be nice), I'm talking about when will the ball start to not perform at its max potential anymore, when the surface starts to become worn down, and all that stuff.

Since you'll probably need to know how much I'm going to be bowling, from November to January I'll be bowling 2-5 times a week (3 games), and every other month only about once or twice a week (3 games also). Thanks in advance for the help .

Chats: 32

It's really impossible to say some balls last a long time others not long at all. Taking good care of it cleaning after each use refreshing the cover every 10-20 games resurfacing every 40-50 will help prolong it's life. I know some guys who throw the same balls for years without complaint. My Asylum has 450-500 games on it it has lost some reaction but still a useful ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 0

The first tip is to get a spare ball at the same weight as your strike ball.

Beyond that, anecdotally, I've read that Storm balls last the least, and EBI products generally last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    The first tip is to get a spare ball at the same weight as your strike ball.

Beyond that, anecdotally, I've read that Storm balls last the least, and EBI products generally last longer.
    EBI has had their fair share of early deaths along with everyone else.

Current arsenal

The cyclone is good until the coverstock cracks if you are using it as a spare ball. That should be a quite a few years away if you only bowl once a week. As for the MX10, it should last a few years as well if you take care of it. If you get 5 years out of it, that's pretty good imo. Usually you want to replace before that point anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    The cyclone is good until the coverstock cracks if you are using it as a spare ball. That should be a quite a few years away if you only bowl once a week. As for the MX10, it should last a few years as well if you take care of it. If you get 5 years out of it, that's pretty good imo. Usually you want to replace before that point anyways.
    If he is bowling as much as he states average it out to 2 or 3 times a week 2=312 games, 3=468 games he'll be doing good if the ball lasts a year even with proper upkeep which most people don't do.

Current arsenal

Yeah the Cyclone coverstock is made out of butter. Mine has cracks, scratches, deep gouges. My Unhinged has none of that. All it needs is to be resurfaced and polished to bring it back to OOB condition.

Heck, my wifes new DV8 Hooligan has two hairline scratches on it already and we basically bowl together most of the time on the same lanes.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I think that the cover stocks designed for heavy oil are probably shorter lived than the ones meant for dryer lanes.

As far as cracking goes, the main thing is to avoid extreme temperature swings.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think that the cover stocks designed for heavy oil are probably shorter lived than the ones meant for dryer lanes.

As far as cracking goes, the main thing is to avoid extreme temperature swings.
    I completely agree with both statements here. My old ball is now officially dead after it sat in the trunk of my car for two hours today. Car thermometer said 102 degrees. The ball was sitting in air conditioning (75ish) prior, and when I pulled it out of the trunk, the coverstock between the middle and ring finger holes cracked. Granted, the ball is 6 years and one month old though, with at least 300 games on it.

As for heavy oil balls, they are much more porous to get more lane traction, but this also means they absorb oil faster. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious you don't want a ball designed for heavy oil to suck up oil and remain oil soaked as it's going to be doing that a lot.
    Last edited by John Anderson; 07-28-2015 at 08:03 PM.

I hate to say this, but you can expect a modern ball to maintain the same level of reaction for about 100 games (based on my own experience and observations), as long as it is properly maintained: cleaned after each use, refreshed after every ten games, and resurfaced after every 35 games. Many believe that the number is much smaller. I've heard from reliable sources, for instance, that when Brian Voss was actively bowling on the tour, he would use a ball for one seven-game block and then give it away. Small scratches on the surface can be expected as pin setters are mechanical devices with metal parts, and can be easily removed during resurfacing, and often during refreshing. They don't harm the ball reaction in the least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast