Thread: How to fix a wrist problem?

Default How to fix a wrist problem?

Hello all. Today I propose a problem that is not mine. Rather, it is a problem my friend is having. He's not as, for lack of a better term, knowledgeable on bowling as some people. Don't get me wrong, he knows a good bit, but only the little stuff that he wants to know. He recent bought a DV8 Marauder in the hopes of getting hook. Only problem is, the ball is as straight as an arrow. The cause? He breaks his wrist back on every backswing, and this is stopping him from creating hook. Furthermore, he told me yesterday that he is trying to force the hook, which is probably making the problem even worse. As a teen who is still learning much, I am finding it hard to fix this problem of his.

My predicament to the community is this; how can I get him to stop breaking his wrist? I've thought about him using a wrist brace/guard, but that might turn into something permanent. I've also given thought to wrist exercises, but aside from wrist curls with a light dumbbell weight, I'm lost on what I should get him to do. As for attempting to force the hook, I'm sure this will pass once he realizes he just has to let the ball do the work.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

One, it sometimes helps if you can show them what they're actually doing. If you could take some video of your friend from the side and show him how his wrist is bent back he may be more willing to take some advice.

If he is throwing the correct weight ball, it doesn't take a lot of effort to to maintain a firm wrist position. Try having him set up with a straight wrist, supporting at least some of the balls weight with the opposite hand and apply and maintain pressure against the surface of the ball with the index finger of his bowling hand. This locks the wrist in place. A full cupped wrist position will require more effort but the same principle of pressing with the index finger still applies.

If he bought a ball that's too heavy, he may need a wrist brace.
    John

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
    Hello all. Today I propose a problem that is not mine. Rather, it is a problem my friend is having. He's not as, for lack of a better term, knowledgeable on bowling as some people. Don't get me wrong, he knows a good bit, but only the little stuff that he wants to know. He recent bought a DV8 Marauder in the hopes of getting hook. Only problem is, the ball is as straight as an arrow. The cause? He breaks his wrist back on every backswing, and this is stopping him from creating hook. Furthermore, he told me yesterday that he is trying to force the hook, which is probably making the problem even worse. As a teen who is still learning much, I am finding it hard to fix this problem of his.

My predicament to the community is this; how can I get him to stop breaking his wrist? I've thought about him using a wrist brace/guard, but that might turn into something permanent. I've also given thought to wrist exercises, but aside from wrist curls with a light dumbbell weight, I'm lost on what I should get him to do. As for attempting to force the hook, I'm sure this will pass once he realizes he just has to let the ball do the work.
    The best I have seen is a Norm Duke ball relase drill I saw when I first started bowling. It helped me, so it may help him too.

Stand at the foul line with ball in ready prosition. gently push of - backswing-and forward again releasing the ball at the foul line. Concentrating on supporting the ball throughout and not caring whee and how the ball goes. By visually focusing on the foul line, he is more aware of what his wrist is doing without all the extra noise of approach and slide effort. He should feel the ball supported in his hand until the last second and look ony at the foul line.

Then have him try a few test swings, catching the ball each time, making certain not to break the wrist in the backswing.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Go get a coach.

There may be many reasons why he breaks his wrist at the top of his back swing. It could be his grip/fit, muscle'n the swing, ball too heavy, etc...

Before I even start to help someone with their game, I check their grip/fit. If it is not right, it's a waste of time trying to help this person.

One way to check his grip for newbies, just tell him to put his fingers in the ball and let it hang on the side. No grip pressure, just relax the hand. If he has to grip the ball to keep it from falling, he has problems.

Also, if the ball is too heavy DO NOT BUY A WRIST BRACE!!! Why put a band aide? just fix the problem and get the right weight. you create more problems having the wrong ball weight.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I agree that grip is paramount. Without the right fit, a whole other host of issues cascade. So have him start there.

Buying a wrist brace might not be the solution either. They are a good training tool for some and a real aid for others, but they can also create release issues for bowlers. They also require span changes in your balls, so it could only make his problems worse.

Chats: 0

Amen on the grip fit until I had mine fit the wrist would break a lot and now and then I would drop the ball on release. Pro Shop trip

Sorry, if I am out of line. I feel the need to intercede with an opinion here. That wrist breaking back is from using a ball that is too heavy for him as his wrist is too weak to control the forward to release movement against too much weight and a wrist brace becomes a hindrance instead of help. I went from a 16 lb. ball to a 15 lb. ball and no longer needed a wrist brace. Also, I was taught to palm the ball till just before release as if you are reaching out to shake someones hand with the middle finger staying in the ball the longest to give rotation and lift. So, if he has weak wrists he should drop down at least a pound on ball weight. He may also be slightly too far back on his start mark and feels the need to try to hurry the ball forward as he reaches release point.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I agree with the video. Some either don't realize they are breaking in the backswing or were taught it was OK. I hate braces as they don't allow for the wrist to break at all which is needed for a correct, modern bowling release. Usually correct fit and weight combined with the knowledge correct the issue.
    How old is your friend? How long have they been bowling? Weight of ball?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bill intimated what I will say outright: a modern release requires that the wrist be broken at one time or another during the swing. The idea of the entire thread is flawed as it pre-supposes that a broken wrist is a bad thing which is thinking from the 1980's. Watch videos of Michael Fagan and other modern bowlers. You will see the new standard of a release that goes from cocked to un-cocked, and back to cocked again. I have bowled in several leagues with long time Team Usa member David Haynes. David starts with his wrist broken, and gets back to a strong wrist position at the release point. Personally, I wouldn't want to come up against him with money on the line!

As to wrist braces, we each have different ways of adjusting. For those who rely on hand position changes, wrist braces don't work. Personally, I rely on lateral adjustments along with ball changes, and have used a Mongoose, off and on for consistency, for many years. It's easy to make edicts, but each bowler is an individual and there are lots of ways to get the job done.