Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Contest August 3, 2015 to August 9, 2015 - Storm Sky Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Ok, but they can only absorb oil, if it gets on the surface of the ball.

Since both types of balls will absorb all of the oil on the surface, the only way a solid would absorb more is if more oil becomes attached to the surface than a pearl.

Is there any reason to believe the solid ball attracts more oil off of the lane than a pearl?
    Even though the ball looks round just like a pearl, the surface is anything but round at a microscopic level. It would appear rather mountainous with pits in between all the mountains. Think of it as having retention basins in the coverstock. All reactive balls have these, but they happen to be the largest on solids and smallest on pearls, with hybrids falling somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    I guess John is intimating that solids absorb oil quicker. So if you let the oil linger and don't wipe it doesn't matter. But if you wipe the ball before every shot the pearl over the long run will absorb less oil
    This is exactly what I am saying but you just said that a lot better.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Even though the ball looks round just like a pearl, the surface is anything but round at a microscopic level. It would appear rather mountainous with pits in between all the mountains. Think of it as having retention basins in the coverstock. All reactive balls have these, but they happen to be the largest on solids and smallest on pearls, with hybrids falling somewhere in between.
    John,

I hate to disagree but your confusing surface with cover stock composition. You could have a pearl with deep grooves just as easily as you could a solid or hybrid. You will more normally see solid balls finished with lower surface grits and pearls polished or with higher surface grits but there are exceptions to this rule. The Rotogrip Hysteria and Hammer Viral are both polished solids the closest I can't think of a pearl with a real low surface grit off the top of my head The Hammer Arson Low Flare Pearl comes at 3K or 4K. Basically the mountains and pits you are referring to is the surface of the ball and any ball can have any surface put on it be it pearl, hybrid, or solid. The difference between pearl, hybrid and solid has to do with the additives in the actual makeup of the cover stock pearls having additional mica (from what I've heard) added to cause the ball to slide farther. Hybrids are a mix of solid and pearl cover stocks mixed together.

Now solids may have larger pores which is different and takes place at an even smaller level than surface but I'm not entirely sure that even that is correct. Actually porosity of different cover stocks is something I've never seen discussed with real numbers so anything said that way is simply supposition. Many of us suspect that solid lower grit surfaced heavy oil balls probably do absorb more oil than a comparable polished surface ball but I would guess there is a lot of variation even between those. It's always important to remember the difference in what we know, what we suspect, and what's just rumor.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

This is the new Storm ball that I am most excited about. I really hope I am able to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    John,

I hate to disagree but your confusing surface with cover stock composition. You could have a pearl with deep grooves just as easily as you could a solid or hybrid. You will more normally see solid balls finished with lower surface grits and pearls polished or with higher surface grits but there are exceptions to this rule. The Rotogrip Hysteria and Hammer Viral are both polished solids the closest I can't think of a pearl with a real low surface grit off the top of my head The Hammer Arson Low Flare Pearl comes at 3K or 4K. Basically the mountains and pits you are referring to is the surface of the ball and any ball can have any surface put on it be it pearl, hybrid, or solid. The difference between pearl, hybrid and solid has to do with the additives in the actual makeup of the cover stock pearls having additional mica (from what I've heard) added to cause the ball to slide farther. Hybrids are a mix of solid and pearl cover stocks mixed together.

Now solids may have larger pores which is different and takes place at an even smaller level than surface but I'm not entirely sure that even that is correct. Actually porosity of different cover stocks is something I've never seen discussed with real numbers so anything said that way is simply supposition. Many of us suspect that solid lower grit surfaced heavy oil balls probably do absorb more oil than a comparable polished surface ball but I would guess there is a lot of variation even between those. It's always important to remember the difference in what we know, what we suspect, and what's just rumor.
    Please do disagree with me and continue to do so. I learn nothing if everybody just agrees.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Please do disagree with me and continue to do so. I learn nothing if everybody just agrees.
    Always something new to learn
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234