Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tips for improving balance at line?

One of the biggest factors for me was releasing the ball with it directly under my head. If you take a video of yourself you should be able to draw a line straight down from your head to the ball. A bit to the right and your balance is shifted and thus you have a harder time posting your shot.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Tips for Bowling: Achieving a Balanced Finish Position | USBC Bowling Academy

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Nice video Bowl.

I'm struggling with balance right now...and a lot of it is timing...something I'd say me and the coach have been trying to fix for at least the last 6-9 months. Another factor is my approach...the coach actually sped it up a bit to try and get rid of some "choppiness" where I'd take a step or two and almost pause. And the third challenge is I'm finally starting to learn how to slide...and that in and of itself creates a challenge to stay balanced.

And then there's the competing views on advanced concepts. Some coaches teach that you want your shoulder down (Slowinski DYDS) and your balance arm towards the ceiling. Others teach the more traditional horizontal arm position. Some coaches teach a more straight up and down position at the foul line...others want you to bend at the waist more. My problem with the waist bend is I tend to use waist bend as a crutch rather than bend my knee more. I 'feel' like I'm bending my knee...but when I watch it on video...I could clearly get lower.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Everything happens at the back of the approach to the foul line. From these two points, anything can happen to cause you to fall off the shot on your bowling side. I'm not sure what level you are skill wise - where you're at. and without a video, it's difficult to know and help.

Basic push away is what RobL1 has mentioned. If that's not in time for your game, then your approach is compromised. With that said though, not every push away is created equal. I have late push away timing. Is it wrong? Not for me, or for Chris Barnes. On the flip side, Tommy Jones has early timing, likewise most classic bowlers like duke, Voss, ect.. have "on time" push aways. One cause for falling off the shot is bad "timing spot" timing. What is the timing spot? It's part of the approach where your slide foot is flat and in front of your head and your bowling arm is parallel to the floor. If I get that too early, I fall off the shot every time. The bowlers I have mentioned all have different "push away timing" BUT THEY hit the timing spot ALL THE SAME.

Click on the link and go to 8:15 "The timing spot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVORM49GxA

Also what could be wrong too, is your footwork. There's different things that can cause you to fall off the shot. The tricky part is find what causes it. Best bet is to see a good coach.

Edit: I also have to mention that many senior bowlers are not able to get to this point, but it's possible to be slightly early and still be balanced at the line. I'm not sure how this works, but I've had Mark Baker help me with my game early this summer and he briefly explained to me. I just forgot. I guess I'm not there yet lol. Mark Baker's book and DVD is a good tool to have if you don't have access to a coach.
    As I was reading this I felt like I was reading Mark's book again. My thought was "another Baker disciple". Baker, Slowinski and Hatfield are three coaches that have helped mold my coaching career and are amazing coaches.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

Keeping the ball in line with your head is a key to consistency, you don't want to swing the ball around the side, straight back, straight through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12