Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for improving balance at line?

Question tips for improving balance at line?

lately it seems that i've been finishing off balance on every single shot, even the good ones
    im a lefty and im falling left on every shot, even the accurate ones that are striking'
    when i try to slide my foot and post, i shoot less accurately

i realize the need for a video and am in the process of finding a good one

I do not know if this will help, but it's a short video I found that basically says to not force your shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSueTL-lss maybe that is your problem? It's kind of hard to give any kind of criticism without actually seeing your shot.

Chats: 204

I have the same problem. I'm going to try that the next time. I try not to force it...but may still be.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

This is a common problem, especially when you get older. I am 72. Trying to make a strike or spare ends up after the night with my friend Ben Gay. Todays balls have so much action in them that to FORCE the delivery with the arm and leg becomes negative by the 3rd game, in my case. I practice during the summer and trust the ball and the fact we can walk to the foul line are a big part of that practice. The body and mind will a lot of good things if we let them.

The most common cause of falling off at the line is bad timing. The easiest fix is to make sure that your pushaway is synchronized with your fourth step back from the line, ie., first step of a four step approach and second step of a five step approach.

Chats: 0

Thanks for that video. I know your supposed to leave your arm relaxed but never noticed if my falling off balance coincided with a forced throw. Gonna pay attention to that now.

Chats: 256

In addition to timing being off, one other thing that I was taught awhile back by a great coach, is to get your center of gravity(belly button) over your knees in your stance. Walk a smooth, non rushed approach to the line and deliver the ball.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    In addition to timing being off, one other thing that I was taught awhile back by a great coach, is to get your center of gravity(belly button) over your knees in your stance. Walk a smooth, non rushed approach to the line and deliver the ball.
    this
    i have a tendency to rush things, especially my approach
    this generally has disastrous results as it usually messes with my timing which causes me to fall off left

I found in a coaching session that my balance was suffering because my non bowling hand was down at my side instead of extended
    out to the left where it could provide balance.

Everything happens at the back of the approach to the foul line. From these two points, anything can happen to cause you to fall off the shot on your bowling side. I'm not sure what level you are skill wise - where you're at. and without a video, it's difficult to know and help.

Basic push away is what RobL1 has mentioned. If that's not in time for your game, then your approach is compromised. With that said though, not every push away is created equal. I have late push away timing. Is it wrong? Not for me, or for Chris Barnes. On the flip side, Tommy Jones has early timing, likewise most classic bowlers like duke, Voss, ect.. have "on time" push aways. One cause for falling off the shot is bad "timing spot" timing. What is the timing spot? It's part of the approach where your slide foot is flat and in front of your head and your bowling arm is parallel to the floor. If I get that too early, I fall off the shot every time. The bowlers I have mentioned all have different "push away timing" BUT THEY hit the timing spot ALL THE SAME.

Click on the link and go to 8:15 "The timing spot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVORM49GxA

Also what could be wrong too, is your footwork. There's different things that can cause you to fall off the shot. The tricky part is find what causes it. Best bet is to see a good coach.

Edit: I also have to mention that many senior bowlers are not able to get to this point, but it's possible to be slightly early and still be balanced at the line. I'm not sure how this works, but I've had Mark Baker help me with my game early this summer and he briefly explained to me. I just forgot. I guess I'm not there yet lol. Mark Baker's book and DVD is a good tool to have if you don't have access to a coach.
    Last edited by fokai73; 08-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast