View Poll Results: would you be annoyed if Norm Duke or another "A" list pro gave you a unsolicited tip?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, It was Norm Duke!

23 100.00%
  • Yes, Keep your mouth shut Norm unless I ask.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be annoyed if Norm Duke or other A list pro giving you a unsolicited tip?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Would you be annoyed if Norm Duke or other A list pro giving you a unsolicited tip?

A user posted on another forum about how he bowled in a Pro-Am with Norm Duke.

Norm was watching him bowl and offered him a unsolicited "great tip on my arm swing" and thought that was great of him to do that.

Another user responded with "
    "This kind of thing annoys me to no end"........................"It doesn't matter if it is Norm Duke or "House Bowler Joe". Keep your unsolicited suggestions and tips to yourself unless someone asks for your help."

So would you be annoyed if Norm or another "A" list pro gave you a unsolicited tip?

My thought:
    I've bowled in plenty of Pro-am's , I was 2nd second place in one even. I've had pro's offer me unasked for advice, especially if they saw me struggling and happy they did.

To me that's part of what the Pro's are bowling in the pro-am for, to be ambassadors of the game. By Meeting the amateurs, offering advice, promote the sport.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

While I answered no, it really would depend on the advice and the situation. If it were during a practice session, any tips would be most welcome. If it's during competition, it would have to be either very simple, or a suggestion about how to handle the lane conditions.
    John

Chats: 256

Those bowlers that get annoyed at unsolicited tips are the bowlers that think they are the gift to a bowling center by gracing their presence with it.

Any bowler that isn't at a professional level should welcome tips and suggestions from a Pro bowler. I know I certainly would. My game is by no means perfect and anything I can do to get it better I would welcome, listen, and implement.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I would accept and have gotten a suggestion from a pro during leagues. The suggestion was simple and straightforward. If a suggestion from any bowler that does well, pro or not, tweaks my game then I accept willingly.

Chats: 4

I would welcome any tips and or advice from any A list Pro bowler
    or even from a B list Pro bowler unsolicited or not as long as it is
    something that will help out my game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

It would seem that the ire some feel at being offered "free advice" is born of insecurity with one's game.
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon

Would take a tip from Norm in any situation. Hell, if I were lucky enough to bowl with him, I would have to restrain myself from peppering him with questions.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

This greatly depends on the situation and the type of advice being offered. In a pro-am scenario I feel that it is a general understanding that pros are likely to give advice to the amateur they are bowling with. Tournament and League bowling I don't think it is correct to give advice unsolicited; there are just too many mental issues that can arise from this - obviously this changes if the bowlers asks for the advice. During practice before someone gives advice they should ask what you are working on and then make the determination if it is acceptable to give their advice.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 32

Norm Duke or any other PBA member I would happily take advice from even unsolicited advice. I really don't mind if other bowlers offer advice just don't be offended if I ignore it or repeatedly belabor the point,
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

If a pro is trying to sincerely help me, I'd love to hear any advice whether I specifically asked for it or not. If it's house bowler joe, it's somewhat questionable whether I want the advice or not. If the other person is obviously better than me with regard to what they are giving me advice on, I have no problem with it and will accept the tips. If they aren't that great at what they are trying to tell me to do, I'd probably just brush it off and ignore their comments. I wouldn't get upset over it, but I wouldn't listen to them either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast