Thread: Earl Anthony as a color commentator

Default Earl Anthony as a color commentator

Everyone knows about his bowling accomplishments but watching some old bowling videos on YouTube I can't help but notice how well spoken he was as a color commentator when he was in the broadcast booth. Great voice for TV and obviously very knowledgeable about the minor adjustments each bowler made for each shot.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Earl is the GOAT!

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Earl is the GOAT!
    this
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Chats: 204

GOAT = God of All Things

I presume??

Yeah, he did a great job as a commentator for the short time he did it.

I think it was harder for him and guys like Roth because even near the end, they could still beat almost anyone on the Tour on a good day. Not on their BEST day...just on a "good" day. It just always felt like he was commentating...but was kinda anxious to pick up a ball and take the kids down. Randy and Mike J are almost better color commentators because their best days aren't at the PBA Tour level...they know that...and they've accepted it...and they're able to just talk about the action.

That being said, I'd like to see both of those gentlemen (Mike J and Randy P.) on the PBA50 tour. Mike J got hammered in the first event and has seemed to have given up...and that's too bad. And Randy was going to mount a comeback run...but I haven't heard anything lately.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    GOAT = God of All Things.
    Greatest of all time!
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    GOAT = God of All Things

I presume??

Yeah, he did a great job as a commentator for the short time he did it.

I think it was harder for him and guys like Roth because even near the end, they could still beat almost anyone on the Tour on a good day. Not on their BEST day...just on a "good" day. It just always felt like he was commentating...but was kinda anxious to pick up a ball and take the kids down. Randy and Mike J are almost better color commentators because their best days aren't at the PBA Tour level...they know that...and they've accepted it...and they're able to just talk about the action.

That being said, I'd like to see both of those gentlemen (Mike J and Randy P.) on the PBA50 tour. Mike J got hammered in the first event and has seemed to have given up...and that's too bad. And Randy was going to mount a comeback run...but I haven't heard anything lately.
    GOAT = Greatest Of All Time

I think you're largely correct in your analysis of Earl as a color commentator. I equate Earl to Payton Manning--almost maniacal in their approach to the game and expectations of themselves.

I'm not a fan of Randy at all.....but he's been doing this for a long time, and a lot of people like him.

God, I miss Earl. Of all the bowlers I've seen over the years, he's still my fave. His head was just so In. The. Game. Earl was Bowling Incarnate, so far as I'm concerned, Belmo be damned!
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon

Chats: 204

Earl reminds me a little of WRW.

Both are the greatest...#1 and #2...on whatever list you're making concerning bowling greatness. But both 'quirky'...kinda odd guys. Interesting, nice, fun...but just a little quirky.

Banned
    Chats: 68

It seems the job of color commentary is hard on the brain cells.

Earl had the same problem that Bo Burton had on ABC TV.

It seems the director is in his ear saying, just keep talking...

At some point it's like they've closed their eyes, and just make stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    It seems the job of color commentary is hard on the brain cells.

Earl had the same problem that Bo Burton had on ABC TV.

It seems the director is in his ear saying, just keep talking...

At some point it's like they've closed their eyes, and just make stuff up.
    I used to be a radio announcer, and it's very, very difficult to vamp in a slow sport like bowling. Football, soccer and basketball announcing have their own challenges, but you don't have much opportunity to have to fill dead air. Bowling? Lots of breaks in action, and not much action when there is action. I wouldn't want to have that job!
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon