Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well.....How'd everyone's summer go?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Another observation about my summer league is quite interesting.

There are largely two distinct groups of bowlers. The hardcore league bowlers who average 185+, and bowl multiple nights per week.

And people who average well less than 150, and have over 80 pins of handicap. These folks also bowl in leagues, but have no interest in doing well or improving.

There isn't much in the middle.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by LyalC52 View Post
    I really like it.
    I ordered it with a long pin distance and my PSO went off the Seismic drill guide for length.

For me the ball gets far down the lane before it starts to read and then has a nice turn to the pocket. One of the houses I bowl at has a TSH that favors the outside shot. I've been starting the night 12 to 4 board, then moving right as the night goes on. Ball hits just as hard at the end of the 3rd game as it did in the first.

It doesn't take a lot of oil or get gummy on the surface like my HyRoad does.

it doesn't do well on slick lanes at all. One of the houses I bowl at has newer, as hard as they get, Brunswick lanes and I really struggle to get the ball to carry.

I was temped to get a Torpedo or Equalizer when I purchased my Chemical X. Being that I'm just getting back into bowling I though I would try a few different manufactures before setting on one or two.
    Glad to hear that you liked it I'll let you know what the wife thinks of the Torpedo after she gets some time with it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 10

Bowled a lot this summer. Meeting a teacher I have that extra time. I also did a pro shot league. For the league, I struggled big time. Sure is different that the THS. Only 1 more week to go till it's over. As for just going in to bowl, I think it's gone well. Going into my 3rd year this fall, I want to average 180. Last year I averaged 170 and the initial year 160. So my gal this summer is to average 180 each time I bowl and I have. A few times I was under but usually above the 180 mark. I have also been nailing that 10 pin. Such a problem for me last fall. But I have been getting it rather easily. So hopefully it will transfer to the fall.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Bowler

Bowled a summer league at a different house. With the move my average dropped to the low 190's for the summer. The primary reason for the drop in average was due to normally bowling on wood lanes, this summer league was on synthetic lanes. I primarily worked on spare shooting this summer and had many clean games, my single pin spare percentage was in the 80% range. I'm bowling in 3 leagues this fall, so it was nice to stay in bowling form this summer.

I finished last season, my first with 123 average, I decided to see a coach since I was not progressing. Signed up for summer amf promotion. My coach completely redid my swing, but my first 2 weeks in a league I dropped to 100 average, I felt like quitting. Then I started to get better, I been bowling 5 days a week, since July first I posted 7 200 games. My league average been climbing to 134, I'd love to post a 500 series in the next 2 weeks.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    What weight do you throw? I didn't realize you had injury issues--I must've missed that.
    I threw 15 lbs from the late 70's up until I quit in about 1992.

When I came back to bowling in June of 2012, I got a 15 lbs ball plastic and joined a league.

I got 6 weeks into the league and my arm went dead.

I could hold on to the ball, but couldn't come close to cupping the wrist.

I could roll the ball straight, but I couldn't put any lift into the ball.

Between August of 2012 and January of 2014 I tried anything and everything, but nothing was acceptable.

The problem was throwing the ball so straight gave me too narrow of a pocket to compete the way I was used to.

So in January of 2014 I felt I had healed enough that I could put some hand back into the ball.

When I put some hand into reactive resin balls, lets just say if the lane had been wider, it would have completed a u-turn.

I drilled up a 15 lbs urethane ball, and 2 weeks later I shot 300 with it.

Problem is, 2 weeks after that, I was black and blue from about half way between the wrist to elbow, up to the midpoint of the bicep muscle.

So, I spend a few more months throwing the ball straight.

Somewhere alone the way I drilled up some 14 lbs balls and that didn't hurt to throw.

So, I'm thinking, in each case of injury, I hadn't been used to putting some hand in the ball.

That may have been the main factor, not the actual weight.

So this time, I've had a full season of 14 lbs, while putting some hand in the ball.

Hopefully that has built the arm up enough that it can withstand 15 lbs this time.

This getting old thing kinda snuck up on me.

This video is from August 2012, shortly after coming back to bowling.

This video is from August 2012, the week before I had the dead arm.

This video is from November 2012, me struggling with 15 lb resin ball, but no hand.

Finally this video is from May 2014, using a 14 lb ball, when I could put some hand in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Bowled a lot this summer. Meeting a teacher I have that extra time. I also did a pro shot league. For the league, I struggled big time. Sure is different that the THS. Only 1 more week to go till it's over. As for just going in to bowl, I think it's gone well. Going into my 3rd year this fall, I want to average 180. Last year I averaged 170 and the initial year 160. So my gal this summer is to average 180 each time I bowl and I have. A few times I was under but usually above the 180 mark. I have also been nailing that 10 pin. Such a problem for me last fall. But I have been getting it rather easily. So hopefully it will transfer to the fall.
    I'm not really sure why meeting a teacher, gives you extra time?

Not sure if anyone else might be thinking this, but I'm hoping you're not my kids English teacher!

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I threw 15 lbs from the late 70's up until I quit in about 1992.

When I came back to bowling in June of 2012, I got a 15 lbs ball plastic and joined a league.

I got 6 weeks into the league and my arm went dead.

I could hold on to the ball, but couldn't come close to cupping the wrist.

I could roll the ball straight, but I couldn't put any lift into the ball.

Between August of 2012 and January of 2014 I tried anything and everything, but nothing was acceptable.

The problem was throwing the ball so straight gave me too narrow of a pocket to compete the way I was used to.

So in January of 2014 I felt I had healed enough that I could put some hand back into the ball.

When I put some hand into reactive resin balls, lets just say if the lane had been wider, it would have completed a u-turn.

I drilled up a 15 lbs urethane ball, and 2 weeks later I shot 300 with it.

Problem is, 2 weeks after that, I was black and blue from about half way between the wrist to elbow, up to the midpoint of the bicep muscle.

So, I spend a few more months throwing the ball straight.

Somewhere alone the way I drilled up some 14 lbs balls and that didn't hurt to throw.

So, I'm thinking, in each case of injury, I hadn't been used to putting some hand in the ball.

That may have been the main factor, not the actual weight.

So this time, I've had a full season of 14 lbs, while putting some hand in the ball.

Hopefully that has built the arm up enough that it can withstand 15 lbs this time.

This getting old thing kinda snuck up on me.

This video is from August 2012, shortly after coming back to bowling.

This video is from August 2012, the week before I had the dead arm.

This video is from November 2012, me struggling with 15 lb resin ball, but no hand.

Finally this video is from May 2014, using a 14 lb ball, when I could put some hand in it.
    Glad to hear you're getting on the right track. Must've been scary to go through an injury like that. Hopefully you and your doctors have things sorted out and many 300s are on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm not really sure why meeting a teacher, gives you extra time?

Not sure if anyone else might be thinking this, but I'm hoping you're not my kids English teacher!

I'm sure Blomer meant "BEING a teacher". I've noticed he makes quite a few typos in his comments. Thank goodness Aslan is not judging us by our grammer!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    I'm sure Blomer meant "BEING a teacher". I've noticed he makes quite a few typos in his comments. Thank goodness Aslan is not judging us by our grammer!
    I'm sure he and Iceman are thinking about judging grammar, just waiting for the right or as some people would say"write" or "rite" time to use it.

Yes, we all make mistakes at times. If you want to see some horrific grammar and spelling, all you have to do it look at the local craigslist pages....wow! People have no clue how to use words like their,there, and they're ! I am amazed at all the cars that have breaks, personally I want my car to have brakes. I can't even begin to figure out some of the spelling, some of it is just nonsensical.
    End of off topic rant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast