Thread: Thumb hole, tapered or straight, what do you prefer ?

Default Thumb hole, tapered or straight, what do you prefer ?

I don't know if I ever had a ball with a tapered thumb hole until now, I think the driller might of just had or grabbed that bit and drilled a tapered hole in my ball.
    I have found I get out of that ball cleaner than my other 2 balls even though the other balls thumbs feel a little looser.
    I really like the tapered thumb and am thinking of re-drilling the other 2 balls to match.

Have you used a tapered thumb, and how do you like it ?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I don't know if I ever had a ball with a tapered thumb hole until now, I think the driller might of just had or grabbed that bit and drilled a tapered hole in my ball.
    I have found I get out of that ball cleaner than my other 2 balls even though the other balls thumbs feel a little looser.
    I really like the tapered thumb and am thinking of re-drilling the other 2 balls to match.

Have you used a tapered thumb, and how do you like it ?
    A ball driller does not intentionally DRILL a tapered hole.

Usually the taper is manufactured into a thumb sleeve (insert) which is installed into the ball using a straight drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    A ball driller does not intentionally DRILL a tapered hole.

Usually the taper is manufactured into a thumb sleeve (insert) which is installed into the ball using a straight drill.
    Ok, maybe he used a tapered thumb sleeve. He never said anything to me about it so I'm not sure if that was his intention or not. I do recall he was doing a lot of carving or scraping on the thumb hole, I think he used a regular thumb sleeve and drilled it straight then carved out the upper section on a taper...how does that sound for a scenario?
    The only thing I didn't like was the thumb was still a little rough feeling and my other PSO took a 10,000 rpm rotary tool and smoothed it out.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-12-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Chats: 32

I've heard of oval thumbs but not tapered. If your thumbholes are rough use a little drywall sanding screen to smooth them out works wonders.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I've heard of oval thumbs but not tapered. If your thumbholes are rough use a little drywall sanding screen to smooth them out works wonders.
    I had never heard of a tapered thumb hole either.
    I went back to my regular PSO to get some grips changed and commented to him how I get my thumb stuck sometimes in the balls his guy drilled and he checked the other ball that never sticks and said , it's tapered and that's what lets you get out of it easily. My understanding of his explanation is since the hole is tapered you can't crook your thumb and you don't have to relax or release the thumb so it's less likely to get it hung up.
    The thumb is tighter than any ball I've ever had and it's never once stuck on my thumb.

He took out his carving tool and scrapped a little on the other 2 balls and said if they continue to stick to bring them back and he will re-drill the thumb holes.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I've heard of oval thumbs but not tapered. .
    Tapered thumb holes have been around for years (long before I started bowling) and ball drillers CAN intentionally make a tapered hole if that is their intent, but most stopped wayback when they came out with tapered inserts which saved some work.

My ex-brother in-law used a tapered insert for a time until he went to the insert with the nub in it. most that I knew of that used it to help keep the thumb straighter. But their not used much.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-12-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Ok, maybe he used a tapered thumb sleeve. He never said anything to me about it so I'm not sure if that was his intention or not. I do recall he was doing a lot of carving or scraping on the thumb hole, I think he used a regular thumb sleeve and drilled it straight then carved out the upper section on a taper...how does that sound for a scenario?
    The only thing I didn't like was the thumb was still a little rough feeling and my other PSO took a 10,000 rpm rotary tool and smoothed it out.
    Turning a round hole into a taper by carving is far different than "I think the driller might of just had or grabbed that bit and drilled a tapered hole in my ball."

I've always had a straight thumb hole. It works fine for me so I'm not going to mess around with it until I decide I don't like it anymore.

If you really like the feel of your new thumb slug and fit, ask your driller to make a mold of that thumb and replace the new molded thumb slugs with your other balls. There's no way he can duplicate that thumb over "exactly" he did the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Turning a round hole into a taper by carving is far different than "I think the driller might of just had or grabbed that bit and drilled a tapered hole in my ball."
    I have several tapered bits and a hole like that could have been drilled using a similar bit. That is why is was the first option that came to mind. There are certainly other options that ball drilling professionals might be be more inclined to use such as the tapered insert you suggested, or the carving that I recalled after seeing my other PSO do that to one of the balls
    I was not present the entire time and he did not discuss it with me it is only supposition as to what method he used.
    I suppose they only way I will find out is to stop and ask him the next time I am out in that area, and I will probably do that.