Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Expierence

Chats: 32

Default Bad Expierence

My home center closed at the end of fall and a lot of the people I bowled with moved to a different center for summer. I ended up doing most of my bowling at another local center due to the fact that the center the others went to didn't offer a Friday night league during the summer. The center where most of the others went does do a fall league on Friday's and I had let it be known that the wife and I intended to bowl on that league this fall. I started contacting my friends from the previous fall a couple of weeks ago only to find out that everyone already had a team set up for the fall season. So I contact the league president and let him know that we were interested in bowling their this fall and was told that he didn't know of anyone looking for teammates but he would see if he could find anyone. He also asked me if I realized this was a high end league and I told him yes.

Two weeks went by no responses but there was a post on Facebook asking for team line ups and I commented on the post that I was interested in bowling in this league and for anyone to contact me if they needed a teammate or two. There was two other posters who also said they were interested but needed teammates. I contact the first who I know and was told that he was mistaken that he did have a team and forgot about it? weird. Then I contacted the other who I don't really know and after a few days received a response that he had already found a team and that this was a high level league and maybe I would be better off bowling on Wednesday or Thursday league. WTF. I also contacted another bowler that bowls on that league and basically got the same response.

This is not a scratch league handicap 90% of 230. Are there some seriously good bowlers on this league? Yes. I know about 75% of the guys on this league and honestly I would admit that 50% of them may be in my territory or slightly above the others not so much. I averaged 195 last fall about 5th in my league. Do I think I'm among the elites here in the valley? No. Have I beat most of them head to head at one time or another? Yep. There are supposedly 16 teams in this league 4 person teams that's 64 bowlers There are not 64 above 200 average bowlers in the entire area more less just in that house.

I really didn't expect to win this league I'm sure there are a couple of teams that have all high average guys who are 220-230 averages but I don't see my 190+ or my wife's 160+ average being a death knell for a handicap team league. We generally have good attitudes show up so I can't figure why it is we would be black balled for all intents and purposes. Heck even if we lost every game I would think having a larger field and additional people paying in to the prize fund would be a good thing. Not sure if someone has a beef with me or if they didn't want a woman in the league (all the other bowlers were male on the team list post I seen) but it is marketed as a mixed league.

Needless to say I'm bowling somewhere else. We've already put a team together at another house but I don't really think I've felt this ostracized since high school.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 0

It's sad to hear about situations like this, and that adults act like 7th grade children.

Amyers, you lucked out actually......though it's frustrating and maddening, you're lucky to not be bowling with a bunch of dullards like that.

The sport is dying in so many local alleys.....and groups/leagues like this turning away people is another piece to the puzzle.

Ringer

Don't worry about it, go and have fun in your new league and not give a second thought about it.

If somebody doesn't want you there, you might want to stay clear of that place anyways. Go have more fun somewhere else and take your business elsewhere to a more friendly place. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm sure you will find a place that is better than what you are used to.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Sorry to hear that, That's the thing with a lot very competitive/high money etc. leagues. The bowlers thought process's can change about who they want bowling with them. They want a certain feel on the team and if they think you can't fill the bill, your out.

One league they couldn't careless, another if you don't have your shirt tucked in they wouldn't bowl with you for nothing.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, That's the thing with a lot very competitive/high money etc. leagues. The bowlers thought process's can change about who they want bowling with them. They want a certain feel on the team and if they think you can't fill the bill, your out.

One league they couldn't careless, another if you don't have your shirt tucked in they wouldn't bowl with you for nothing.
    That is what bothered me the most if it had just been me walking in off the street (although that would still be wrong) But this was mostly people I know and had bowled with before. Maybe part of it is my game still old school I can't go out and drop 4 or 5 baggers on a regular basis and miss every other spare I shoot at. I have to grind it out couple of spares couple of strikes bunch more spares at the end of the day were both at 200 seems the same to me but maybe not maybe it's more important how you look when your scoring now.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I had a similar experience when I first moved to my current location several yeas ago. I was rejected by 4 guys in two leagues whom I met during practice. Maybe it's my practice method or my classic style too, but these guys came up with many excuses.

I ended up in a fun family league which I was the only non white person in this 12 team league. I had much fun in this league, I ended up bowling this league 4 years straight. Who said you can't have fun with a bunch of rednecks lol.. I miss these guys. Some moved to Montana for more hunting, Washington state for work, and the other guy passed on. I was even the younger one in this league when I first joined too. Best league I had ever joined in my bowling life!

Anyway, the same guys who didn't give me a chance, well they call and text almost every year asking to be if I wanted to join their team, or get my name dropped in to be drafted in the travel league. I see some of them in tourneys or in the summer sport leagues, but i'll never team up with these guys. One even asked me to drop pins so I can make the cap?!!

I suggest you bowl with people who accepts you, it'll be much funner. Likewise, let your bowling do the talking. When these dudes found out what my average was, or knew I was cashing in scratch brackets against regional guys in tourneys, all of a sudden they're my friends. Bull doo doo!! I don't associate with guys like that. I prefer these back pocket towel yielding, tobacco chewing, Keys on a chain hanging by their waist side, dirty truck or construction worker bowlers who yell at every spare and get excited for a 6 bagger like I'm at a baseball game. Damn I miss these guys. The memories will last forever.....

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    I had a similar experience when I first moved to my current location several yeas ago. I was rejected by 4 guys in two leagues whom I met during practice. Maybe it's my practice method or my classic style too, but these guys came up with many excuses.

I ended up in a fun family league which I was the only non white person in this 12 team league. I had much fun in this league, I ended up bowling this league 4 years straight. Who said you can't have fun with a bunch of rednecks lol.. I miss these guys. Some moved to Montana for more hunting, Washington state for work, and the other guy passed on. I was even the younger one in this league when I first joined too. Best league I had ever joined in my bowling life!

Anyway, the same guys who didn't give me a chance, well they call and text almost every year asking to be if I wanted to join their team, or get my name dropped in to be drafted in the travel league. I see some of them in tourneys or in the summer sport leagues, but i'll never team up with these guys. One even asked me to drop pins so I can make the cap?!!

I suggest you bowl with people who accepts you, it'll be much funner. Likewise, let your bowling do the talking. When these dudes found out what my average was, or knew I was cashing in scratch brackets against regional guys in tourneys, all of a sudden they're my friends. Bull doo doo!! I don't associate with guys like that. I prefer these back pocket towel yielding, tobacco chewing, Keys on a chain hanging by their waist side, dirty truck or construction worker bowlers who yell at every spare and get excited for a 6 bagger like I'm at a baseball game. Damn I miss these guys. The memories will last forever.....
    Good for you, fokai73. I love hearing things like this, and you're absolutely correct.

By the way....congrats on cashing in those tournaments!

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

From my eye, I think your wife is the one who lucked out.
    When I bowl with my wife and/or daughter, I want it to be in a fairly balanced mixed league so they feel comfortable.

BTW, my game is much like yours. Take the strikes when they come, and focus on picking up spares.
    The other night I was giving one of the two handers a hard time about writing love letters on the score board.
    He either had a strike or a split in nearly every frame the entire night
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Good for you, fokai73. I love hearing things like this, and you're absolutely correct.

By the way....congrats on cashing in those tournaments!
    Thanks, last tourney I didn't fair too well. Those guys took my money....well not all of it....lol but, we had fun. Some of the regional guys are my friends and we get nuts against each other. but at the end of the day, we drink!

With my old friends....After several years removed from this league, I am still in contact with these guys. they show off their trouts, deers, and new quads they bought lol. One day I'll make it up to Montana and maybe learn to shoot a bow hahaha!

To the OP, screw those guys man! Make better with the other leagues and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast