Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: are you one of these types?

I see it like golf. No matter HOW good you are, or how good your equipment is, there's a certain amount of luck or randomness present. Think about golf: even if you're the best player in the world, you can always hit it a little closer to the hole. Nobody makes a hole in one every time. Same with bowling: nobody bowls straight 300 games. Nobody can control how the ball hits the pins 60 feet away within a tenth of an inch. Can't be done. And sometimes the luck will swing a little to the negative, just like sometimes it swings towards the positive. Even total newbies with beat-up house balls sometimes roll 5 strikes in a row, and sometimes top-ten pros will miss 5 spares in a row.

So you just do your best and remember that the last shot is history, and don't worry about it.

Chats: 204

I can't say I don't get upset. I've kicked my roller bag a couple times. I even had a doll I'd carry in my bag that I could choke when I was upset (rather than take it out on my bag) but I strangled it so often (because I bowl badly so often) that it's head fell off.

But see...I don't fit your mini rant because I practice more than anyone on this site...although NYMIKE is trying to catch me...and I take more lessons a year than most people on this site if not everyone on the site. So, given that I spend thousands of $$$...bowl about 1000 games a year (with 2/3 or more being practice)...that sorta gives me the right to be upset when things aren't working out.

A better example for ME...is Golf. I HATE GOLF. It's a stupid sport designed by people that want an excuse to walk around outside but find hiking boring (which it is). HOWEVER....I play golf 7-9 times a year...and have never taken a real lesson. So last weekend...company golf outing...I shoot a 66 on the back nine...and I'm strongly considering giving my clubs to Goodwill or something. But I have to remind myself, "If you REALLY WANT to get better at golf...you have to take an occasional lesson...and you need to golf once a week or once every couple weeks at least."
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman always

Stays COOL

Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-17-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Haha Iceman.

I used to get upset over things like missed 10 pins and so forth, but I have really come to appreciate that I'm fortunate to get to roll a ball down the lane. Bowling costs too much to be miserable.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

I have to control myself. I practice a lot and expect better after a poor score or set. I've been more frustrated than normal this summer. The house I bowl at is very unpredictable. The shots that I feel good with don't strike. The shots that I don't feel like I threw well end up striking. It's like reverse logic and it gets very annoying. To make things worse, it never seems like the air conditioner is on and my body temperature rises literally making me a hot head. I never kick or hit anything, but I have been known to curse (at myself or the pins) and occasionally toss my balls in my bag. Just gotta remember that it is a game after all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123