Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bowling Ball Speed?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Is your memory that short.

At Norco, the approaches wouldn't slide, so to keep from sticking, I had to reduce the speed I threw the ball at, which mean I would start at or in front of the dots (about 12 from the foul line), then take five (to keep my timing) steps of shorter distance, then release the ball with very little revolutions.

Oh but wait, that would be making an adjustment, something you have claimed I'm either incapable, or unwilling to do.
    At Norco? Or Murrieta? Actually, with your mega-slide…I imagine just about any approach will/can be problematic.

But yes, I kinda remember you doing a little Fred Flinstone dance before releasing the ball…I guess I just thought you liked to dance.

Although, I can't tease you TOO much because now that I'm learning to slide…suddenly I too have the same weakness…a really bad approach os something on your shoe isn't as inconsequential as it used to be…thats for sure.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Moving back on the approach is really a two-edged sword. It is easy to get the first step of a five step approach too long that gets too much momentum going to quickly. The result is that the bowler gets to the line before the ball, forcing a muscled armswing, and a loss of ball speed.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Moving back on the approach is really a two-edged sword. It is easy to get the first step of a five step approach too long that gets too much momentum going to quickly. The result is that the bowler gets to the line before the ball, forcing a muscled armswing, and a loss of ball speed.
    Please take a class in physics.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman thoughts

I don't do Speed, and would recommend that none you fine bowlers use the stuff! You have much more control when you don't do
    drugs! Speed is a one way ticket to trouble! Know your speed limits, abide by them, and follow through! Speed and lose of control are like two birds of the same herd, drove, flock, what ever....

So what have I actually said, above?

Although it would be easy for Iceman to break it down, make is simple, so to say, I won't.

Look deeply into the cryptic hidden message, and you will find truth!

Like Einstein once said, Speed is Relative!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Are there any coaches that do evaluations and advice by long distance ?
    Yes. As a matter of fact it was one of the reasons the other site was started and where I've been the past 2 1/2 years. I do video analysis for free in my spare time. I get credit towards Gold for it and the more experience the better. I'm also a coaching junkie. I am heavily influenced by Slowinski, Baker and Hatfield so if you don't agree with the concepts of these three Gold coaches don't waste your time with me. Send me a PM and I will ensure you know what camera angles are needed, email or Ubersense address.

The USBC bowling academy has some good videos. Speed control and variation is one of the subjects.

Mike White AND Rob had valid points. Mike's science. Rob when he said some have a tendency to make the first step too long when attempting to speed up the feet. Easy solution; control the first step.

*Ubersense is now Technique
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Yes. As a matter of fact it was one of the reasons the other site was started and where I've been the past 2 1/2 years. I do video analysis for free in my spare time. I get credit towards Gold for it and the more experience the better. I'm also a coaching junkie. I am heavily influenced by Slowinski, Baker and Hatfield so if you don't agree with the concepts of these three Gold coaches don't waste your time with me. Send me a PM and I will ensure you know what camera angles are needed, email or Ubersense address.

The USBC bowling academy has some good videos. Speed control and variation is one of the subjects.

Mike White AND Rob had valid points. Mike's science. Rob when he said some have a tendency to make the first step too long when attempting to speed up the feet. Easy solution; control the first step.

Good to know about the remote coaching, I was asking in reference to AMYERS saying the nearest coaching available is 3.5 hours away. I on the other hand an very lucky to live near Richard Shockley , however that doesn't mean another perspective might not be of value in the future.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post

I think Ubersense is now HudlTechnique
    John

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    How the poo do you take 5 steps starting in front of the dots? I stand a foot behind the dots and am almost off the approach and I only take a 4-step. I tried a 5-step when I was learning Slowinski's DYDS approach. But then working with Rob we had to get me closer to the foul line and more under control….because I was almost running back then….in videos there were actulally points where both my feet were off the ground.

Granted, you may be shorter than me…perhaps considerably. I'm a true 5'11". "True" means I'm actually 5'11"…but everyone that is my heaight or slightly shorter won't believe that I'm only 5'11" (because that means they are shorter than they thought). But yeah, if you want to increase speed…move a foot back and speed up the footwork a little.
    Sorry I guess I missed some of the post here. I might be 5"10 but in that area my legs are short though I only have a 26" inseam most of my height is in the upper body. I'm pretty sure if I tried to start from the back of the approach I'd have to jump to try to make it to the line and no one wants to see that at my size.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123