Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling only for the socially awkward

Default Bowling only for the socially awkward

Saw this from reddit but they had a thread asking people what activities where you were considered socially awkward if you took it too serious or were really good at. Bowling was one of them. If you avg under 100 hey you're a drunk and having a good time. Avg above 180-200 and you're just "weird" who takes bowling way too serious. You have your own ball and shoes and no friends

I guess this is why bowling will never truly catch on again and be a mainstream sport with this mentality.

I personally find bowling relaxing and very rewarding.

Chats: 0

So people that gather with friends to play a game together might be considered social awkward by people sitting at home alone on Reddit? I can live with that.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Tom View Post
    So people that gather with friends to play a game together might be considered social awkward by people sitting at home alone on Reddit? I can live with that.
    So true!

Have lots of bowling friends of all skill levels. Sure, there are some people that think they are a gift to the center they choose to bowl in, but the good WAY outweigh the bad eggs from my experience. I certainly don't think I am weird because I bowl at a higher level, and don't think my friends think so either.

I bowl on a team Thursdays with people that average between 110 and 140. They always wonder why I bowl with them. I always tell them it's the quarters and dollar bills I win from the games/cards we play that I am using to put my daughter through college.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

our Thursday team name is "Something Awkward"
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

I don't believe this to be true one bit. I know lot's of other very normal people that are good bowlers. I probably can't speak about myself without being biased, but I am a relatively normal person as well. If you saw me in public, you probably wouldn't realize it because I don't stand out. My same group of friends that will bowl with me also will basketball with me as well. Does that make us all weird for playing Basketball? No. So why would the same people bowling being weird?

Person that made that post must suck at bowling, and probably too stupid to be able to tally up numbers without the machine on his own.

I think the whole thread was tongue in cheek. Paint balling was another popular choice

Chats: 204

Are Iceman and I allowed to comment or is that gonna hurt the cause???

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Tom View Post
    THIS

Unfortuntaly….this happens to me ALOT.

1) Because I'm weird to start with…so I gotta actually be far less weird just to get even.

2) Because when I'm put on a team…it's almost ALWAYS with people that only bowl once in a while , once a week, they may be good, bad, horrible, or maybe used to be good in high school or something…or have just been doing it for forever…

So they see ME…which I am definitely more "into it" than many others…keeping track of stats on my phone, a 5-ball arsenal, a guy who actually PRACTICES regularly AND takes lessons, keeping notes in a notebook, posting 4000 times, etc…but they see me and think it's funny. Yet usually, the same people that think that don't think it would be as "weird" if it was surfing, or golf, fishing, or tennis. Or the crazy weirdos into WWE wrestling and/or Nascar.

So I think there's definitely a stigma. I just think the vast majority of people consider bowling like going to the movies or to a carnival. It's not a 'sport', it's just somewhere to take the kids on a Saturday afternoon to get them out of the house or a place teenagers can go on a date that isn't the same ole dinner/movie.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Anyone who participates too deeply in any activity is labeled as a "nerd." Apparently, we're all just supposed to be surface-dwellers, lining up at the smorgasbord of human activity to try a little here, a little there, without actually learning anything about what we're sampling. IOW: Life is "supposed" to be a frat party with lots of cheap beer, cheap music, and cheap women.
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon

So the socially awkward ones are just the ones who are into it enough to say, join a bowling forum? I'm still not buying it. I was just looking at the "Post a picture of yourself" thread. Many posted pictures of themselves with their wives and girlfriends. If it's not rude to say so, bowlers be doing pretty well for themselves...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast