Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had our winter meeting and they actually changed something.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    At one point in time, there was a rule that the team on the left lane had to establish their lineup first.

They couldn't change it until the first game was complete.

Repeat process for 2nd game, and 3rd.

The result was, lineups almost never changed during the night.

It seems a lot of rules from the ABC days have disappeared under USBC.

The rule is still there, they didn't drop it. Also you don't repeat the process for the 2nd & 3rd games. You hold the lineup for the series.

Unless the league adopts a different procedure.

USBC 2015-20116 rule book, page 28
    100k. Match Point
    A match point league is one in which team position standings include individual match points. Match
    point leagues must follow these rules, unless the league has adopted a different procedure:
    1. The team scheduled on the odd lane enters its lineup first.
    2. No change may be made in the order of players in the lineup during a series. A substitute must take
    the replaced bowler’s position in the lineup.
    3. When bowling against an absentee or vacancy, to win the individual points the bowler must bowl at
    least his/her average less ten (10) pins, unless the league rules have stated another number.
    4. If each team has the same number of absentees and/or vacancies, the players present must be
    placed in opposition to each other for individual matches and the winning team credited with the
    points for the absentees/vacancies.
    If one of two teams has an absentee or vacancy and a player on the opposing team is unable to
    complete the series, any game in progress shall be completed with no change in the competing team’s
    lineup. However, the lineup of the team that lost its player must be changed if necessary, to comply
    with the provision of Item 4 above for any subsequent game(s) in the series.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The rule is still there, they didn't drop it. Also you don't repeat the process for the 2nd & 3rd games. You hold the lineup for the series.

Unless the league adopts a different procedure.

USBC 2015-20116 rule book, page 28
    100k. Match Point
    A match point league is one in which team position standings include individual match points. Match
    point leagues must follow these rules, unless the league has adopted a different procedure:
    1. The team scheduled on the odd lane enters its lineup first.
    2. No change may be made in the order of players in the lineup during a series. A substitute must take
    the replaced bowler’s position in the lineup.
    3. When bowling against an absentee or vacancy, to win the individual points the bowler must bowl at
    least his/her average less ten (10) pins, unless the league rules have stated another number.
    4. If each team has the same number of absentees and/or vacancies, the players present must be
    placed in opposition to each other for individual matches and the winning team credited with the
    points for the absentees/vacancies.
    If one of two teams has an absentee or vacancy and a player on the opposing team is unable to
    complete the series, any game in progress shall be completed with no change in the competing team’s
    lineup. However, the lineup of the team that lost its player must be changed if necessary, to comply
    with the provision of Item 4 above for any subsequent game(s) in the series.
    The ability to change between games must have been a league specific add-on.

It's only been 30+ years since that league existed.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

The ability to change between games must have been a league specific add-on.

It's only been 30+ years since that league existed.
    You change lineup between games just not in match point leagues.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 104a.
    104a/1 May a captain change the lineup from game to game?
    Yes. Unless it is a match point league or there is a league rule to the contrary, a captain may
    change the lineup from one game to the next. Rule 106b, Item 1, states that once a game
    has started, no changes to the order can be made after the start of a game. The rule does not
    place a restriction on making changes during a series. A captain may change the order of the
    players, replace a substitute with a regular member or make any other lineup change from
    one game to the next.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Banned

You change lineup between games just not in match point leagues.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 104a.
    104a/1 May a captain change the lineup from game to game?
    Yes. Unless it is a match point league or there is a league rule to the contrary, a captain may
    change the lineup from one game to the next. Rule 106b, Item 1, states that once a game
    has started, no changes to the order can be made after the start of a game. The rule does not
    place a restriction on making changes during a series. A captain may change the order of the
    players, replace a substitute with a regular member or make any other lineup change from
    one game to the next.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Your point being? that was stated in the post I didn't need to repeat it.

Banned

Your point being? that was stated in the post I didn't need to repeat it.
    Ok, if you want to play this game, what was your point of post #13?

I had said in #12, it must have been a league specific add-on.

You responded in #13 with

"You change lineup between games just not in match point leagues."
    Last edited by Mike White; 08-30-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Ok, if you want to play this game, what was your point of post #13?

I had said in #12, it must have been a league specific add-on.

You responded in #13 with

"You change lineup between games just not in match point leagues."
    Mike, I'm not trying to play a games with you.

The point of post #13 was just to show, That the ability to change lineup from game to game in other league types was allowed in the rules to begin with. It's not some "add-on" rule, but it is a rule that a league can modify if they wish.

Banned

Mike, I'm not trying to play a games with you.

The point of post #13 was just to show, That the ability to change lineup from game to game in other league types was allowed in the rules to begin with. It's not some "add-on" rule, but it is a rule that a league can modify if they wish.
    The league type being discussed was match point, not some other.

So the response USBC gave to the commonly asked question, was poorly written.

They said "Yes, unless (compound condition), a captain may change the lineup from one game to the next."

It's the compound condition that they messed up on.

1) it's a match point league.

or

2) there is a league rule to the contrary.

Part 2 would be in a non-match point league, where the league made a rule stating you can't change the order between games.

Part 1 leaves out the fact that a league rule can over-ride the default match point rule of no lineup changes between games.

In the actual rule that I quoted, and highlighted in red, the ability for the league to over-ride is included.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

The league type being discussed was match point, not some other.

So the response USBC gave to the commonly asked question, was poorly written.

They said "Yes, unless (compound condition), a captain may change the lineup from one game to the next."

It's the compound condition that they messed up on.

1) it's a match point league.

or

2) there is a league rule to the contrary.

Part 2 would be in a non-match point league, where the league made a rule stating you can't change the order between games.

Part 1 leaves out the fact that a league rule can over-ride the default match point rule of no lineup changes between games.

In the actual rule that I quoted, and highlighted in red, the ability for the league to over-ride is included.
    Yes, the league type being discussed was match point and my post of the match point rule addressed that.

My post of the Commonly Asked Question answer, beside what I said in post#17, was to also to say how other leagues have the ability to change lineups and the limits on how they could do it.

In both quotes (the rule and the Commonly Asked Questions that I posted) the statement about "the ability for the league to over-ride" "is" included in both. It's not just in the one you quoted in red.

As for your opinion that the rules are poorly written okay, a lot of people have said that. I myself think they could reword and make somethings clearer.

Banned

Yes, the league type being discussed was match point and my post of the match point rule addressed that.

My post of the Commonly Asked Question answer, beside what I said in post#17, was to also to say how other leagues have the ability to change lineups and the limits on how they could do it.

In both quotes (the rule and the Commonly Asked Questions that I posted) the statement about "the ability for the league to over-ride" "is" included in both. It's not just in the one you quoted in red.

As for your opinion that the rules are poorly written okay, a lot of people have said that. I myself think they could reword and make somethings clearer.
    There is nothing wrong with that rule, it's the answer to the commonly asked question.

If you think the ability for the league to over-ride "is" included in both, then all I can do is suggest you see if a local college has a class similar to https://www.coursera.org/course/intrologic that you can take.

You're parsing the sentence is incorrectly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast