Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I NEVER WANT TO MISS A TEN pin AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    But, why?
    Simply because he thinks that with a ball that hooks it might be possible to pick up 10 pins like he picks up 7's and enable him to convert more 9 - into /

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    There is no way to never miss a 10-pin....unless you never leave one or bowl consistent 900 series.

I think many people can get away with using their strike ball for spares with a lateral movement system. I did it for a long time....finally switched after it cost me a game or two in the now defunct Virtual Bowling Tour. Even with my lower rev rate...a 1-2 board that is excessively dry can be just enough to make you miss. And that's a miss that is certainly on ME for being stubborn. But, there and then I swore I wouldn't have that problem anymore...and the next weekend had a plastic spare ball (from MWhite).
    According to stats from ESPN the PBA first ball strike was 61 % and 10 pin conversion was 96% , this was a couple of years ago .... certainly a much better chance to convert 100 % of your 10 pins over a given time than shoot 300 games.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I think I"m comprehending what Michael is saying. His strike ball hooks at a consistent rate. Attempting to throw the same hook at the ten pin turns into an adventure, plastic is too common and Norm is Norm. The idea is intrgueing. I wonder if Michael is trying to 'force' the elbow into the wrong direction. A ball drilled with the core flipped would work but only if Michael was completely behind the ball. Even then there would be a margin of error as that release become comfortable and worse yet, would it affect the feel of his normal release?

MikeWhite, did I do OK at avoiding the shiny object? ha ha that did make me chuckle.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I think I"m comprehending what Michael is saying. His strike ball hooks at a consistent rate. Attempting to throw the same hook at the ten pin turns into an adventure, plastic is too common and Norm is Norm. The idea is intrgueing. I wonder if Michael is trying to 'force' the elbow into the wrong direction. A ball drilled with the core flipped would work but only if Michael was completely behind the ball. Even then there would be a margin of error as that release become comfortable and worse yet, would it affect the feel of his normal release?

MikeWhite, did I do OK at avoiding the shiny object? ha ha that did make me chuckle.
    Your attention may have been removed from the shiny object, but you aren't focusing on Iceman's request.

Iceman didn't say throwing a the same hook was what he had problems with, although if he tried, I expect he like 99% of bowlers would.

He said with plastic there wasn't enough room for error.

His experience shooting at a 7 pin using the strike ball and the wall of oil gave him enough room for error.

He wanted a way to mirror the process, to use the other side of the wall to guide a ball into a 10 pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    What skill level is required to never leave a 10 pin?

What skill level is required to bowl consistent 900 series?

Somehow you think the skill level required to never miss a 10 pin is even higher?
    Good Point !
    I have no doubt that both those feats are all but impossible, however given the statistics of the PBA bowlers the rate of converting 10 pins far exceeds that of throwing 300 games, I can't see how Asian can make that argument.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Something to add or think about when discussing the back up ball thrown by Norm Duke, we are talking about a bowler who may be more specific about the feel of his ball than any one else. I remember talking to a storm staffer at nationals when they had balls of various pros out on display, one being Norm Duke. The thumb hole had 3-5 ovals drilled into it and split white tape in the front. While a large portion of this back up ball skill is repitition, I would have to think that a superior fit has a significant role in this.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    we are talking about a bowler who may be more specific about the feel of his ball than any one else.
    Norm Duke is well known for tinkering with his thumbhole to get that perfect fit during bowling. He's a "tape master", when you wanted to learn how to put tape in a ball, He was the one to watch.

Here's a old article that tells about him and his fit, I'm sure he's made changes since then. But it should give some insight into how he does things with his fit.

http://www.kegel.net/v3/ArticleDetails.aspx?ID=43

Here's a photo of Norms thumbhole, which shows the oval notch and where they scribed the 1/8" offset they talk about in the article.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-30-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add image

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Interesting article. Of paticular interest to me was the section discussing lateral thumb pitches. Now I'm going to pay attention to release position of bowlers and their lateral pitch.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

So I was thinking about this thread as I was driving home from bowling pot games this morning (yes, I realize that I really have no life!). Inititially, Michael asked about throwing a backup ball, using reactive resin, at the ten pin to give himself the same "miss room" when throwing at ten pins, that he has with his strike shot while hooking the ball into the pocket. The one thing that none of us bothered to address was what causes this miss room: for a right hander, there is friction to the right, and oil to the left on the strike ball, so if the ball misses right, it hooks back to the pocket, and if it misses left, it finds more oil that helps it to hold pocket. For a right hander throwing a backup ball with a reactive bowling ball, there is oil on the left, so if the backup ball misses left it finds more oil and misses the ten pin to the left, and if it misses right, it gets into the friction and backs up more, missing the ten pin on the right. For this reason, the best chance of picking up a ten pin is using a plastic ball that, using a normal release, will still give you the most miss room possible while attempting to pick up ten pins. Add to this, the fact that 99% of the top bowlers in the world throw plastic at spares certainly attests to the fact that your greatest chance at success in picking up ten pins is to use a plastic spare ball and practice A LOT!

Next, the thread got sidelined into this who discussion of Norm Dukes ability to use a reactive ball and throw it straight by using a backup release. First, Norm Duke does not use a special drilling to throw a back-up ball at the ten pin. To do so would negate his whole reason for not using plastic: he doesn't want to carry the extra ball! Hopefully, all of you have a PSO who is capable of drilling a ball that fits your hand perfectly. If you don't, find one!

Michael, you who have talked about "the gift" extensively in the past will certainly understand this: in terms of controlling the motion of a bowling ball, Norm Duke is as close to a bowling God as it gets! He can play everywhere from the right gutter to the left gutter. He truly has "the gift." Though we've had our differences in the past, please believe me when I tell you that I have your best interests at heart: practice with the plastic ball - anything else will just delay the inevitable conclusion that you as an intelligent bowler will come to... using a plastic spare ball gives you the best chance for picking up ten pins. Period.

Banned
    Chats: 68

So I was thinking about this thread as I was driving home from bowling pot games this morning (yes, I realize that I really have no life!). Inititially, Michael asked about throwing a backup ball, using reactive resin, at the ten pin to give himself the same "miss room" when throwing at ten pins, that he has with his strike shot while hooking the ball into the pocket.
    Nope, he wanted the same miss room he has when shooting at a 7 pin. Similar, but different.

The one thing that none of us bothered to address was what causes this miss room: for a right hander, there is friction to the right, and oil to the left on the strike ball, so if the ball misses right, it hooks back to the pocket, and if it misses left, it finds more oil that helps it to hold pocket. For a right hander throwing a backup ball with a reactive bowling ball, there is oil on the left, so if the backup ball misses left it finds more oil and misses the ten pin to the left, and if it misses right, it gets into the friction and backs up more, missing the ten pin on the right.
    Again, Nope, he wanted to throw the back up ball on the left side of the lane, making the dry area to his left, and the oil to his right.

For this reason, the best chance of picking up a ten pin is using a plastic ball that, using a normal release, will still give you the most miss room possible while attempting to pick up ten pins. Add to this, the fact that 99% of the top bowlers in the world throw plastic at spares certainly attests to the fact that your greatest chance at success in picking up ten pins is to use a plastic spare ball and practice A LOT!
    I told him the back up method would require a lot of practice as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast