Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I NEVER WANT TO MISS A TEN pin AGAIN

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default I NEVER WANT TO MISS A TEN pin AGAIN

I have a question, I don't think has ever been addressed on this site. NO, not how to pick it up, but rather a question about the ball itself.

I read were Norm Duke doesn't throw a plastic ball but many times just throws a back up ball.

I tried throwing a backup ball, with its reverse revolutions in the opposite direction, but it didn't feel right, off the hand.

Felt a little pain in the wrist.

Could this be because of the finger holes/thumb hole? Could a person go to a guy like Mike White, and change the positions of the finger holes to make it very comfortable to release the ball in that opposite direction?

Then when shooting the ten pin, (for a right handed person), you simple pull out the ball that was drilled with a more conducive natural feel when shooting the ten.

I know that plastic and a straight shoot is the best way, but there is very little forgiveness when you miss your mark!

I am wondering if the Norm Duke method could be made even easier, with a different configuration of the finger holes, and maybe even the pitch of the thumb hole?

I am not a driller, but I would like to hear from some of you drillers.

I NEVER miss the 7 pin on house oil,,, I move right and throw a strike ball,,, it arcs into the pin every time...

I would like to arc into the 10 pin with that same forgiving angle only in reverse.

"Please Iceman, quit thinking of ways to pick me up!"

( Again, I know that most coaches say plastic! I am just wondering if this might be more forgiving on HOUSE OIL) I realize that Sports patterns, which few of us bowl, or can EVEN FIND, (this would not be a good option!)
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-28-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I have a question, I don't think has ever been addressed on this site. NO, not how to pick it up, but rather a question about the ball itself.

I read were Norm Duke doesn't throw a plastic ball but many times just throws a back up ball.

I tried throwing a backup ball, with its reverse revolutions in the opposite direction, but it didn't feel right, off the hand.

Felt a little pain in the wrist.

Could this be because of the finger holes/thumb hole? Could a person go to a guy like Mike White, and change the positions of the finger holes to make it very comfortable to release the ball in that opposite direction?

Then when shooting the ten pin, (for a right handed person), you simple pull out the ball that was drilled with a more conducive natural feel when shooting the ten.

I know that plastic and a straight shoot is the best way, but there is very little forgiveness when you miss your mark!

I am wondering if the Norm Duke method could be made even easier, with a different configuration of the finger holes, and maybe even the pitch of the thumb hole?

I am not a driller, but I would like to hear from some of you drillers.

I NEVER miss the 7 pin on house oil,,, I move right and throw a strike ball,,, it arcs into the pin every time...

I would like to arc into the 10 pin with that same forgiving angle only in reverse.

"Please Iceman, quit thinking of ways to pick me up!"

( Again, I know that most coaches say plastic! I am just wondering if this might be more forgiving on HOUSE OIL) I realize that Sports patterns, which few of us bowl, or can EVEN FIND, (this would not be a good option!)
    You can have the pitch angles changed to match how the ball will come off your hand in a backup release, but making the overall process comfortable... that would take some experimentation, and a LOT of practicing.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    You can have the pitch angles changed to match how the ball will come off your hand in a backup release, but making the overall process comfortable... that would take some experimentation, and a LOT of practicing.
    I might later today, (on the seniors league at 1pm) take an older ball with me and have it plugged. The guy that runs the shop seems pretty knowledgeable. I will discuss this subject with him.
    Mike have you ever drilled a ball for a back up bowler? If so, did you make the pitches and angles match that style of bowling more ergonomically, to suit the release?

This seems like a fun thing to try out.

Knowing that Norm Dude does it, with his go too ball, and does not have one drilled for the back up release, I am just thinking this could be a step in the direction toward that 200/220 average.

I am so on and OFF, in regards to throwing straight toward the 10... I am looking for that more forgiving angle, one similar to how I throw at the 7 pin

I know a couple really good, ( on house pattern league bowlers), that throw a great back up ball with rev's and good speed!

One has right at a 200 average.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

The only reason that Norm doesn't use a plastic spare ball is because he doesn't want to lug it around from pair to pair during tournaments. The reason that Norm can back it up comfortably and you can't is because Norm starts his release with his hand behind the ball, and you start your release with your hand on the side of the ball to help it to hook. Before you get offended, 95% of house bowlers who learned to bowl before the mid-nineties, or who were taught by bowlers who learned before the mid-nineties do this. It has nothing to do with pitches or spans on your bowling ball. To throw a back up ball, start with your hand totally on the bottom of the ball with the weight centered where the index finger and the middle finger come together. Make sure that your hand is in that position at the beginning of the release and rotate it it clockwise around the inside of the ball. BTW, you can also do this with a plastic ball and get the best of both worlds (listen to Walter Ray when he throws plastic at spares, and hear the distinctive "thump, thump" as the ball rolls over the thumb hole.

Chats: 32

If you are using Norm Dukes method of throwing the back up ball the release does not change so the ball's pitches shouldn't really be different. In Norm's way of doing it your hand is on the inside of the ball and simply stays there for basic purposes producing a ball that rolls relatively straight to a slight back up. This is not the backup ball that you used to see on the Women's tour back in the 80's that moved boards his ball travels mostly straight.

I can do this with decent results the trick to it is making sure your hand is on the inside of the ball and not rotating around it. When I first started back to bowling this is how I picked up the 10 pin but I could never get better than about 70% or so.

Rob beat me to the punch with a better explanation see below lol
    Last edited by Amyers; 08-28-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Mike have you ever drilled a ball for a back up bowler? If so, did you make the pitches and angles match that style of bowling more ergonomically, to suit the release?
    Every ball I drilled for a backup bowler was for a female,

For them, their span was a little longer than I would have used compared to a "normal" release.

If you watch someone who regularly throws a backup, you will see they let go of the ball well after the ball passes their ankle.

In the case of females (~99% of backup bowlers) they get their elbow turned into a position that to me should feel very uncomfortable.

One time a lady came in the get a new ball, she didn't bring a previous ball, and didn't indicate that she even had a previous ball.

So I measured her hand, checked to see that those measurements would come off of her hand properly, then drilled her a ball.

When we went down onto the lanes she lined up to throw the ball up the 10 board on the left hand side (she's a back up bowler).

As she let go of the ball, it slid to the arrows, then turned and hooked into the left gutter.

She had a surprised look on her face.

At that instant she was no longer a backup bowler.

She said she had tried to throw the ball "normal" before, but never could.

Off target here but are dynamic cores the reason we don't really see female backup bowlers on tour or in the higher echelons of bowling? I've just kind of guessed this was the reason. I remember very well both styles being prevalent on the previous women's tour but you don't see nearly as much of it now and there is any that I've seen throwing that style on their now.

Current arsenal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    If you are using Norm Dukes method of throwing the back up ball the release does not change so the ball's pitches shouldn't really be different. In Norm's way of doing it your hand is on the inside of the ball and simply stays there for basic purposes producing a ball that rolls relatively straight to a slight back up. This is not the backup ball that you used to see on the Women's tour back in the 80's that moved boards his ball travels mostly straight.

I can do this with decent results the trick to it is making sure your hand is on the inside of the ball and not rotating around it. When I first started back to bowling this is how I picked up the 10 pin but I could never get better than about 70% or so.

Rob beat me to the punch with a better explanation see below lol
    But both of you missed the part where he wants to hook the ball left to right at the 10 pin, not thump thump it straight at the 10 pin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Off target here but are dynamic cores the reason we don't really see female backup bowlers on tour or in the higher echelons of bowling? I've just kind of guessed this was the reason. I remember very well both styles being prevalent on the previous women's tour but you don't see nearly as much of it now and there is any that I've seen throwing that style on their now.
    A back up ball with a dynamic core is drilled very similar to a left handed drill pattern.

There was a Youtube video a year or two ago at the USBC Nationals, a team of 4 women, two were considered pros, all right handed, one of the non-pros threw a back up ball.

Most of the scores I saw them shoot were in the 230 - 250 range, with the back up bowler in there with the 230's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    But both of you missed the part where he wants to hook the ball left to right at the 10 pin, not thump thump it straight at the 10 pin.
    Can't speak for Rob but that was kind of the point of my post using Norm's method will not produce a ball that hooks right to left one that basically rolls straight

"If you are using Norm Dukes method of throwing the back up ball the release does not change so the ball's pitches shouldn't really be different. In Norm's way of doing it your hand is on the inside of the ball and simply stays there for basic purposes producing a ball that rolls relatively straight to a slight back up. This is not the backup ball that you used to see on the Women's tour back in the 80's that moved boards his ball travels mostly straight.

Rob beat me to the punch with a better explanation see below lol "

Current arsenal

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast