Thread: Totally lost

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Totally lost

So a little background first.....
    I just returned to bowling from about 10 years ago. Before I quit my avg was about 190. I know am getting back in to it bowled last winter full season one league. And summer 2 leagues.

So last winter at Brunswick Kyrene lanes in Chandler AZ I averaged about 178, just getting back in to it. I did enter some tournaments and have done well. I cash in most tournaments I've bowled an a few 1st place.

I bowl well at all other houses except my winter league house at Brunswick Kyrene.

They got a new oil machine about 6 weeks ago and I am totally lost right now I am seriously under a 160 and am embarrassed. As all summer I have been over 190 average and have bowls decent at all other houses I have tried. This new layout I think I know how it is but can't line up. To me it seems like there is no block at all. If you swing at all it stays out there and sometimes in the channel. Then you move out and try more direct and it don't finish one bit. Back ends are wet solid.

I throw a decent swing everywhere else. I'm a rightie throwing left foot on about 35. Throw over 15 out to about 10-7 at break point depending. My gamer is usually a hammer black widow assassin, I also have the deadly aim, and Deep purple taboo.
    I can't find a shot on league night at this house at all. But I can line up on tournament shots in several houses pretty well and average close to 190 or better.

I asked bowling alley to see if I could see the shot or pattern they are putting out with this new Brunswick machine. They said they don't have it they just use something called tapes.

I just want to see if I'm reading this thing right.

What the funk..... Grrrrrrr!!!!!
    I don't want to give up on the house because I bowl with family but I'm about too.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Drock25 View Post
    So a little background first.....
    I just returned to bowling from about 10 years ago. Before I quit my avg was about 190. I know am getting back in to it bowled last winter full season one league. And summer 2 leagues.

So last winter at Brunswick Kyrene lanes in Chandler AZ I averaged about 178, just getting back in to it. I did enter some tournaments and have done well. I cash in most tournaments I've bowled an a few 1st place.

I bowl well at all other houses except my winter league house at Brunswick Kyrene.

They got a new oil machine about 6 weeks ago and I am totally lost right now I am seriously under a 160 and am embarrassed. As all summer I have been over 190 average and have bowls decent at all other houses I have tried. This new layout I think I know how it is but can't line up. To me it seems like there is no block at all. If you swing at all it stays out there and sometimes in the channel. Then you move out and try more direct and it don't finish one bit. Back ends are wet solid.

Is it the same for everyone else?

If not, what equipment are they using, and where are they playing?

Sounds rough, had a similar experience where everyone was having trouble, guys throwing very aggressive balls were just sliding and never breaking. They were flooded with complaints and then started to look at things and found the issue was with the new machine.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Drock25 View Post

They got a new oil machine about 6 weeks ago.............

I asked bowling alley to see if I could see the shot or pattern they are putting out with this new Brunswick machine. They said they don't have it they just use something called tapes.
    Since they got a new machine, they may still be getting use to it and sorting out the pattern their using.

Which if they are taking tapes, could be what's happening ("Tapes" when talking about oil patterns, is how they check what the patterns is on the lane. The tape looks like scotch tape and they run it across the oiled lane. The tape picks up the oil and they run the tape through a reader. Which tells you how much oil is on the boards at the place where they took the tape.)

So your shot may change some more there as they go along. Also they may have changed oil too, you might ask which oil they are using.

Regardless , even if they didn't have a pattern print out. they could have told you more than that (assuming that person knew the details in the first place). But a lot of houses act like the pattern is a state secret and won't tell you.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Is it the same for everyone else?

If not, what equipment are they using, and where are they playing?

That's some good points! One man's hell, is another man's nirvana! Like Mike said, if others are complaining, then it might be in reality a problem related to the oil application, or machine.

We were have that same problem here in Gladstone Bowl! Many long time seniors that have bowled for over 30 years, complainng about the house pattern being gone.

Many complaining their average dropping 20 pins or more. ICEMAN being one of them,,, try as I might, inside, outside, different balls, hand positions,,, nothing really seemed to work.

They recently hired a new mechanic to handle the oil machine, and yesterday I had a very satisfying 252 first game! All I had to do was lay the ball down and try as it might, it could not get out of the path to the pocket! LIfe is Sweet!!

Oil, and its application does matter on a nice blocked house pattern.... it still doesn't guaranty a 300 or even 700,,, but it does make bowling delusionaly more fun, and inflate ego's, ,,,, ,,, and in the end, isn't that what its all about!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If they want to be packed due to having a high scoring house, have them contact Jerry Kessler at Thunderbowl Lanes (937) 836-5177

He is well known in the Dayton Ohio area for having an extremely easy house shot.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com