Pro bowlers about 96% (I believe that)

League bowlers were 65% which I find surprisingly low

Open bowlers about 20% which is probably right or even a bit high

I would have thought league bowlers would have been higher though

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The 96% for the pro's goes with the ESPN chart that said 95.9%

As for league, looking at my last year stat's for one league. 65% looks close, I left 101 ten pins during the season and had a 62% conversion rate.

It would all depend on how big a sample of league bowlers they used.

Post the link to the video.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I am not surprised by the 65% , not after watching the guys in my league including myself. Some guys are almost automatic hitting them easily but the majority seem to struggle somewhat and miss quite a few. I hope to be much better this year with a dedicated spare ball.

Chats: 256

I would say 65% is about right for a fun mixed league. More competitive league I would say in the 80 range.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Stats were from Rolltech

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Practice before leagues. Many people DO NOT like you to shoot 10 pins. They claim it ruins the strike shot they are trying to locate. My response was that the oil they are adjusting to is even more of an impact to shooting cross lane at right and left side spares. Also, it just happens I leave more spares than I get strikes.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Practice before leagues. Many people DO NOT like you to shoot 10 pins. They claim it ruins the strike shot they are trying to locate. My response was that the oil they are adjusting to is even more of an impact to shooting cross lane at right and left side spares. Also, it just happens I leave more spares than I get strikes.
    You're in Vegas, it's like the Mecca for the superstitious.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Many people are idiots. If all 8 or 10 bowlers on a pair do nothing but shoot at the 10 pin for ten minutes of practice it probably would affect the break point. If only one or two people are doing it the effect is probably negligible.

Personally, I usually shoot at least two or three ten pins in warm ups. I'm not sure if I vary the amount that I drift or if my eye dominance switches every so often, but I need a few shots to make sure that I'm properly lined up for my spares. After that, I work on finding a decent line to the pocket. If I find it early, I'll spend the rest of warm ups trying to stay out side of where I intend to play.
    John

Yep, I throw a few strike balls, then 2 or 3 (or 4) ten pin shots depending on how comfortable I feel then one more strike ball before scoring starts. Most people seem to do it similarly around here, I've never seen anyone get bent out of shape about it. They can go ahead and miss all their ten pins if they don't want to warm up!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I think 65% sounds high. In scratch leagues I would bet 80%. Social leagues 40% with the middle of the road leagues being just that with 60%. Why? Because only the bowlers who use their head and spend time doing what it takes at practice to improve will actually practice single pin spares. Game after game after game of them. So many social league bowlers and those of the slightly higher leagues only care about strikes and haven't realized that they not only shoot at more spares than they strike but also getting more accurate on spares leads to more accuracy on strike shots.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com