Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What style of release do you use , and why? What do you call them?

I used to really come around the ball at first, so that I nearly threw a spinner. I eventually got better an cupping my wrist a little, and staying behind it more. I think now I am almost right behind with my hand, just a tad to the outside. I do have trouble creating any kind of wrist action at the release though, so I end up just following through in the same position.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    What does "enable more of the flare potential" mean to you?

To achieve the full flare potential requires a high rev rate.
    What do you consider a high rev rate? Axis migration which can be controlled through hand position, actually has more to do with flare potential than rev rate. My rev rate is only around 410 yet I can flare more than the advertised potential yet before the arthritis my rev rate was about 550 with the same flare.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    What do you consider a high rev rate? Axis migration which can be controlled through hand position, actually has more to do with flare potential than rev rate. My rev rate is only around 410 yet I can flare more than the advertised potential yet before the arthritis my rev rate was about 550 with the same flare.
    1) If you flared the ball more than the advertised potential, that tends to say the advertised potential was improperly marked.

2) How did you do to measure the flare, such that you could claim it remained the same?

Only? I thought 410 was considered fairly high?

Have you changed anything since developing arthritis? This clip at about 4:15 min, Walter Ray talks about changing his grip due to arthritis. Says he went with a relaxed grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5I7l05Wr4

I ask because I feel that my grip was made too stretched on my first (current) ball, which I believe could lead to that kind of problem further down the road. I've read (probably on this forum) how the old-school way was to stretch the span out as much as possible, and I'm thinking the driller I went to is probably old enough to have learned during that time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlwonderley View Post
    Only? I thought 410 was considered fairly high?

Have you changed anything since developing arthritis? This clip at about 4:15 min, Walter Ray talks about changing his grip due to arthritis. Says he went with a relaxed grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5I7l05Wr4

I ask because I feel that my grip was made too stretched on my first (current) ball, which I believe could lead to that kind of problem further down the road. I've read (probably on this forum) how the old-school way was to stretch the span out as much as possible, and I'm thinking the driller I went to is probably old enough to have learned during that time.

After six shops in eight years I finally went to The Golden Approach. Bob Kelly drills for the PBA50 tour and was accustomed to fitting with various hand/wrist issues. He actually lenghtened my span by 1/16" and removed finger pitch. That was February and the knots in the first knuckle on my middle and ring finger are now barely noticeable. I had also developed bruising undeer those nails that has since gone away. The finger pitch changed so much the ball wa literally banging the finger nails on release. The rev rate went way down for awhile.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    1) If you flared the ball more than the advertised potential, that tends to say the advertised potential was improperly marked.

2) How did you do to measure the flare, such that you could claim it remained the same?
    1. I doubt all 57 balls were improperly labeled. Not sure how much if any affect wood lanes factors in versus synthetic.
    2. fabric tape measure comparing previous readings of each ball to the new readings. My Nexxxus actually increased flare by .5". I considered that neglible or an inaccurate measure previously seeing as it was the only ball that did increase. All the others were within 1/4"
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Banned
    Chats: 68

1. I doubt all 57 balls were improperly labeled. Not sure how much if any affect wood lanes factors in versus synthetic.
    2. fabric tape measure comparing previous readings of each ball to the new readings. My Nexxxus actually increased flare by .5". I considered that neglible or an inaccurate measure previously seeing as it was the only ball that did increase. All the others were within 1/4"
    So you are measuring from the first oil ring, around the ball to the last dry ring?

That isn't exactly measuring axis migration, it's measuring track flare.

They are slightly different is that the distance from the axis point to the track decreases as the ball loses tilt.

A ball thrown with higher rev rate will lose less tilt, and that throws off the comparison.

After six shops in eight years I finally went to The Golden Approach. Bob Kelly drills for the PBA50 tour and was accustomed to fitting with various hand/wrist issues. He actually lenghtened my span by 1/16" and removed finger pitch. That was February and the knots in the first knuckle on my middle and ring finger are now barely noticeable. I had also developed bruising undeer those nails that has since gone away. The finger pitch changed so much the ball wa literally banging the finger nails on release. The rev rate went way down for awhile.
    Hmm. Did you have forward pitch before? Doesn't removing forward pitch have a similar effect to decreasing span? If you had a significant amount of forward before, then even lengthening the span by 1/16 inch might have still resulted in a net effect of a more relaxed grip. I think I remember reading something that said bruising under the nails is a sign of too long span or too much forward pitch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12