Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What style of release do you use , and why? What do you call them?

Default What style of release do you use , and why? What do you call them?

I am primarily using the handshake / suitcase style release but am working on behind the ball pulling up style release.

I know in coaching the recommended release is the behind the ball 1/4 turn release but I can't seem to duplicate the exact motion from shot to shot so sometimes its great and others just junk.

I am not trying the cocked wrist type release because I don't want to put that level of strain on my wrist.

It has also occurred to me that if there are designated names for these releases, I don't know them, if there are not, maybe we should designate some names.

No I don't think Ice-Man God type release is a good name ....
    Last edited by Tony; 08-29-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Usually I try to stay inside during the swing and behind at release. If I'm playing way outside like up the gutter then I try to stay behind the whole time with more projection through the fingers. When I'm going real deep I tend to come around the ball more which ticks me off. There is no need for that much axis rotation on a house shot.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    If I'm playing way outside like up the gutter then I try to stay behind the whole time with more projection through the fingers.
    Interesting that you mention that, I have been playing more outside with the new ball I have and found once I got out near the first arrow that staying behind the ball and rolling off the fingertips I am less likely to slide it out into the ditch.

Blog Entries

Coming around and through the ball enable more of the flare potential. Definitely not something you want playing between the 1 and 5 boards.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Coming around and through the ball enable more of the flare potential. Definitely not something you want playing between the 1 and 5 boards.
    Since I've started to figure out this ball and it seems to give me a nice reaction and leave very few 10 pins when playing outside 2nd arrow, I'm curious to find out how long that shot lasts on league night. It seems like most of the league plays between 2,3
    I can play in there also but seem to leave a few more 10 pins.
    I also can try staying out there and switching to the DV8 outcast if the line dries out a little.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-30-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Most house shots are dry outisde of 8. Usually what I see is I can start with a ball then as carry down takes affect I go to a stronger ball or adjust my hand position. Playing far outside the oil at the breakpoint is paramount.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Banned
    Chats: 68

What does "enable more of the flare potential" mean to you?

To achieve the full flare potential requires a high rev rate.

There are as many kinds of releases as there are bowlers in the world. While much of this thread has focused on hand position, also very important is release timing. There are two types of release timing: lift and turn, and turn and lift. Most bowlers who learned to bowl before the modern era embrace turn and lift timing. Most young, modern bowlers use lift and turn. It is very difficult to use lift and turn release timing as it requires a very strong wrist to stay behind the ball long enough to use it. The most obvious example of lift and turn timing is Chris Barnes who is strong enough to keep his hand on the inside of the ball despite his late timing by maintaining a cupped wrist. A modern player who utilizes turn and lift effectively is Sean Rash. When you combine the release timing with the hand position at the beginning of the release, you have all the elements that determine a bowlers release. Please note that I referred to "the hand position at the beginning of the release." Where you start at the beginning of your approach is irrelevant.

Chats: 204

Release: Mine is usually termed: "sub-par"....although depending on the person I've also heard "erratic", "humerous", "distracting", "generally distateful", "horrible", and "pathetic".

Why?: Because I kinda suck at bowling.

What do You (I) call them: I like to call my releases "works in progress".
    Last edited by Aslan; 08-31-2015 at 02:24 PM.

I am what would be called a tweener. On a THS my comfort zone is between boards 10-15 at the arrows, while starting between 20-33 depending on the angle I'm trying to play. Over the last year I've transformed a lot from "around the side of the ball" to "up and through" with a cocked wrist flick motion on release. Rob's totally on point here, every single person is different because every single body is different. I changed because I wanted to get better and more versatile... was what I was doing before "wrong"? Depends, if you're happy being a 185 THS bowler socially with a few high games, probably not. If you want to get serious, it takes a large chunk of time to adjust and re-learn some fundamentals of a different shot. I've said it before, this site has been a huge benefit for my personal game... listen to what people say on here (even if people argue, a lot of the time it's not on the basic point but on details) and practice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast