Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your balls warm (bowling balls in the winter )

Default How do you keep your balls warm (bowling balls in the winter )

I always carried my ball inside at work and then to bowling but this year have no way to do that so the ball or balls would sit in the car for almost 3 hours, I decided it was time for a locker. Not sure how many balls I can fit inside but at least my first choice strike ball and spare ball will be in there.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Thankfully I can go home before going to league, therefore mine stay inside at home. Where I bowl their lockers aren't big enough to fit more than a few balls, so I transport mine each week.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

While you don't want extremes one way or the other, The main thing about temperature is you want to store balls at a constant temperature. It's the fluctuation , the going from back & forth between hot & cold that stress's the ball.

3 hours in the car in winter isn't that bad, throw a blanket around it, wrap a towel around the ball in your bag. Anything to give it a little extra insulation.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    While you don't want extremes one way or the other, The main thing about temperature is you want to store balls at a constant temperature. It's the fluctuation , the going from back & forth between hot & cold that stress's the ball.

3 hours in the car in winter isn't that bad, throw a blanket around it, wrap a towel around the ball in your bag. Anything to give it a little extra insulation.
    It gets pretty cold where I'm located the average high temp in Jan is 29 and lows can sometimes reach 10 or more below zero. The car trunk is never warm to begin with because the car is in an unheated garage. I doubt that's enough time to freeze the ball, but they certainly would get cold and I'll be getting to bowling late most of the first 1/2 of the season due to a class that ends 15 minutes before practice starts so the ball doesn't have any time to warm up there either.
    I thought about an battery powered small electric blanket, like a heating pad ....

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I thought about an battery powered small electric blanket, like a heating pad ....
    I don't think I'd go to the extreme of a electric blanket.

You can get a big insulated cooler and put them in it.
    Take some styrofoam and line your bag.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I leave mine at the bowling alley. One of the few perks of being an employee.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I leave mine at the bowling alley. One of the few perks of being an employee.
    Thats fine if you only ever bowl in one place. Balls stay in my car at all times. Never had an issue with cracks etc. Sure, they get really cold sometimes, but I am usually garage parked at work and at home, so warmer than the ambient temp typically.

Tony, maybe try keeping inside car so they get a little warmed up before going into the center.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries

I knd of cheat. I have to drive by the center to get home and have keys so I just stop and grab them on my way.

To keep mine warm I wear thermals when it's that cold.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

We do have a guy who's wife crochet some ball covers. Looks a little silly until yours cracks and has worked for him so far.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I don't think I'd go to the extreme of a electric blanket.

You can get a big insulated cooler and put them in it.
    Take some styrofoam and line your bag.
    Hey, I'm an extreme kind of guy, I once built a heated, insulated dog house, even had a window in it! The heater was a fiberglass mat with a heat coil molded into it and it had a temp control inside my garage. The dogs were toasty warm.

The cooler would certainly help keep them warm, I could even keep them next to one of the heat registers inside before I leave to have them at a little warmer temp to begin with. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast