Thread: how do i get my ball to hook?

Chats: 0

Default how do i get my ball to hook?

guys been playing with a 12 lb straight ball, and recently got a 15lb stike king . have it it drilled for me, but how do i get it to hook? one of the guys has been giving me advice, as i bring it back roll my haand so my thumb is at 9 o'clock instead of 12,as with a straight ball. i just cant get the revs going. i take it that is what they call the handshake as you finish your aproach.

Don't force it. Forcing the hook is one of the easiest mistakes that someone like you can make. The second you try and force it, you're done.

As for how to get the ball to hook, one of the most basic ways to begin is by using the "suitcase" method. Essentially, you hold the ball and release the ball similar to the way you hold a briefcase/suitcase. It is a very basic way to start hooking, and it will help lead into a more powerful hook.

http://bowlquest.blogspot.com/2008/1...ball-hook.html this is a website that I found that explains what the hook is and how to generate it. The first method he describes is the suitcase. Here is what he said:
    "One of the easiest and oldest ways to learn to throw a hook is the suitcase method. This was how my father taught me and how my father's father taught him.

Stand up. Go ahead it's ok. Let your bowling arm hang straight down at your side with your thumb touching your leg and your fingers be furthest away from your leg. Now look at the angle between the outside of your forearm and the back of your hand. Curl your wrist slightly so that the outside of your forearm and the back of your hand form a straight line/flat plain. Now imagine a heavy briefcase that you will hold with that hand, but imagine holding it with your fingers only (not connecting your fingers to thumb).

Now pick up your bowling ball, insert your hand, and duplicate the above process. If you've done it correctly, you should feel some strain in the muscles of your fingers and your forearm.

Throw a bowling ball with your hand and fingers in this position. The trick is to maintain that arm position (back of hand and forearm form a flat plain) and finger position (like holding a suitcase with fingers only) throughout your entire swing. Let go of the ball slightly in front of your ankle. Don't twist your arm or your hand. You should feel more pressure on your fingers and less on your thumb just before the ball leaves your hand. Just like holding the heavy suitcase, but only using your fingers. It is the fingers that impart the curve on the ball.

It takes a little muscle in the forearm and the fingers to impart rotation on a bowling ball.

If this isn't working for you, start again at the beginning and think of the suitcase. The suitcase should stay in the same position through your swing. If you were throwing the suitcase down the lane, the suitcase shouldn't fall over or turn sideways. Try throwing the ball half your normal speed at first. Slowing things down will help you feel what you're doing a little better. Also, if you're throwing it too fast, it may not hook until after it leaves the lane. Remember, too much speed and you run the risk of not creating enough friction for the ball to hook."

There are other ways to generate hook, many of them more advanced than this. But once you get the hang of the suitcase, I recommend reading up on the football method. Hope I was able to help you out!

Chats: 0

heard about the football method, but living in the UK never even seen and American footbal never mind throwing one lol. might give the suitcase one a go. worst thing is i can throw the ball great as a straight. just dont seem to able to get the revs. lots more practice them.

The handshake/ suitcase method works pretty good, I bowl with a number of guys that use that method and average over 200.

Quote Originally Posted by britjeff View Post
    guys been playing with a 12 lb straight ball, and recently got a 15lb stike king . have it it drilled for me, but how do i get it to hook? one of the guys has been giving me advice, as i bring it back roll my haand so my thumb is at 9 o'clock instead of 12,as with a straight ball. i just cant get the revs going. i take it that is what they call the handshake as you finish your aproach.
    When I got my first ball, I had been throwing a perfectly straight ball, as a junior. I had it drilled conventional and I had trouble throwing a hook. Then the pro re-drilled it with a finger-tip grip and it was no problem to do it. So, if you have not done so, get a finger-tip grip on the new ball.