Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Styrofoam container in garage to help control termperature

Default Styrofoam container in garage to help control termperature

Winter is coming and I want to just leave my bowling balls in the garage. Here in Denver it gets pretty cold. Wondering if a big styrofoam cooler would help keep the balls relatively warm and constant instead of being ice cold.

Does the garage have any heated area or any walls attached to a heated space ? If there is no source to generate heat the balls will eventually reach the same temp as the garage.

Chats: 32

All that a cooler does is attempt to maintain the temperature of the object inside of it. It can't heat what isn't hot and can't cool what isn't cold. The efficacy of a styrofoam cooler is pretty low even if the balls were warm it wouldn't take it long to lose that heat.

If you want to maintain your equipment keep it in a temperature controlled environment. Unheated garages have to much variation to be a good place to store bowling equipment.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Makes sense but should help slow down the cooling process

Because you have access to power in the garage (I presume) you have countless ways to make a storage area with some sort of heating device.
    There are many different type of AC powered heat generating equipment. Going with the cooler idea, using a better insulated one with a small mat in the bottom of it, like the mats they make for pets with an adjustable rheostat could keep the balls warm. There are many different type's of mini heaters made that could be used for your situation

Any sort of container that's well insulated could serve as your heated storage for the ball, in fact if one of the walls is common with the house you could potentially connect a section of duct or vent to allow warm house air to get into your ball storage.
    Last edited by Tony; 09-02-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Using a styrofoam container for this type of use is about like urinating on a forest fire to put it out.

If the garage is unheated, it's best to store them inside. Otherwise, you're risking cracking.
    Last edited by jab5325; 09-02-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Using a styrofoam container for this type of use is about like urinating on a forest fire to put it out.

If the garage is unheated, it's best to store them inside. Otherwise, you're risking cracking.
    I guessing not everyone has the same level of urinating ability as you seem to have.

Styrofoam is acting as an insulator, to try and keep the temperature outside of the container from affecting the temperature inside of the container.

It would work to keep cold out (in this example) just like it works to keep cold in (normal Ice and Beer example)

I suspect there is a reason where the option to store them inside is less desirable, than the risk of cracking.

i,e, female issues.
    Last edited by Mike White; 09-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I guessing not everyone has the same level of urinating ability as you seem to have.

Styrofoam is acting as an insulator, to try and keep the temperature outside of the container from affecting the temperature inside of the container.

It would work to keep cold out (in this example) just like it works to keep cold in (normal Ice and Beer example)

I suspect there is a reason where the option to store them inside is less desirable, than the risk of cracking.

i,e, female issues.
    Since you're the expert......put your equipment in an unheated space, during a cold winter, in a styrofoam container. Then, transport it, bowl with it, and put it back in said container. Do this once per week for 32+ weeks.

Then, tell me how long your stuff lasts.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Since you're the expert......put your equipment in an unheated space, during a cold winter, in a styrofoam container. Then, transport it, bowl with it, and put it back in said container. Do this once per week for 32+ weeks.

Then, tell me how long your stuff lasts.
    I'm "smart" enough not to find myself in a cold winter to begin with.

Also, I have plenty of space inside where my bowling equipment can stay out of the freakin hot summers.

You are the one who made a comparison of the effectiveness of the styrofoam container,
    but you compared it to something we don't have experience with.

How effective is your ability to put out a fire by urinating on it?

Who knows, maybe you have hidden talents.

BTW how many of those 32+ weeks would the "winter" be cold enough to need a styrofoam container?

For me, I think the styrofoam would work just fine, because winter here is 60 degrees.

I think styrofoam container with ball wrapped in blanket should suffice. But if I'm going that far might as well move the balls inside the house

We only get a few nights during the year where it is brutally cold outside. For the most part in the garage it stays above freezing (although that isn't saying much )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast