Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast do you bowl when practicing or bowling by yourself

Default How fast do you bowl when practicing or bowling by yourself

I tend to bowl without ever sitting down. I end up tiring myself. I need to learn to slow down and take a break in between frames. I try that a few times and end up going back to the same routine. I bowled 4 games this morning in like 40 minutes

Don't like to bowl alone, but when I do I tend to go non-stop. Luckily I have a buddy that almost always goes with, and we can critique each other.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    I tend to bowl without ever sitting down. I end up tiring myself. I need to learn to slow down and take a break in between frames. I try that a few times and end up going back to the same routine. I bowled 4 games this morning in like 40 minutes
    If you are practicing to improve part of your physical game, for example you might work on having a consistent push away, bowling quickly is not a bad thing. The number of quality repetitions is what trains the body so the action becomes automatic, and quicker bowling allows for more repetitions. The down side of bowling quickly, especially if your idea of practice to throw a few games and see how many strikes you can get, is that you get used to throwing as fast as the pinsetter and ball return will allow. Then you have trouble when league time comes and there is five to ten times as much time between frames.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    If I get a pair of lanes, I bowl PBA style. Bowl two frames and then sit down for a minute or two.

If on one lane, I bowl a frame walk back to the table. Wait till the ball comes back, enter the shot on my bowling app, take a drink etc. then shoot again.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I generally go too fast, like bowling 3 games in 35 minutes, because I really like bowling. I can't wait to get up there and throw the ball. But half-way through, I get too tired and then I don't bowl as well, so what I do is take something to read and take frequent breaks, or I go with someone, and we take breaks to talk.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If I get a pair of lanes, I bowl PBA style. Bowl two frames and then sit down for a minute or two.

If on one lane, I bowl a frame walk back to the table. Wait till the ball comes back, enter the shot on my bowling app, take a drink etc. then shoot again.
    This is a good suggestion.

I've found that when I bowl alone, I go too quick, and after about two games I started to lose the ability to maintain pace/ball speed. At that point, practice becomes a negative exercise.

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

when my daughter and I go practice; we go PBA style too
    we also discuss what we are doing, take and watch video, and keep things light and on a good not too fast pace.

During the summer twice during league, it was just us on the pair and we bowled PBA style. Her high game of the summer, and my high series came from one of those nights. Kinda wish we could bowl that pace all the time.
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Yes when I go with my wife we do PBA style and roll both lanes before switching bowlers.

When by myself I tried slowing it down. It works the first few times but by the third game or so I'm anxious to get up there and just keep bowling

Chats: 10

I bowl on two lanes whenever I bowl. When bowling along I do a few different things. I'll throw my strike ball and if I miss il just shoot for the 10 pin no matter what. Then I'll do the same but for the 7. I also throw a lousy 1st and then shoot for the spare.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by TonyInPortland View Post
    I generally go too fast, like bowling 3 games in 35 minutes, because I really like bowling. I can't wait to get up there and throw the ball. But half-way through, I get too tired and then I don't bowl as well, so what I do is take something to read and take frequent breaks, or I go with someone, and we take breaks to talk.
    Haha! I have the same problem. One time when a friend canceled and rescheduled for the next night, I was already exited to go so I went both nights, the first one alone. And when I was bowling alone I bowled so quickly that I was sweating and having to catch my breath. No, I'm not overweight.

The thing I hate most about bowling is when I have to wait for other bowlers! If I'm with a group of very casual bowlers, and they are taking forever (playing with phone, texting, general inattention) I'll get irritated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast