Thread: Finger Inserts

Default Finger Inserts

I needed new finger inserts on the ball I used the most last year, and a teammate offered to put them in for me because he had some new ones in my size. He would only charge me his cost, which is around 2 bucks apiece, I guess. But, when I got to his house, I saw that they were a different brand than the ones in all my balls, which had them all replaced last year, and in the new ball that I just had drilled. I decided to go to the bowling center and have them do them, at a cost of 5 bucks apiece, just so that all my balls would have the same brand of inserts in them.

Is this realistic, or was I being overly picky? My friend thought it was ridiculous.

For the record, he had Vise inserts and the bowling center sells Turbo.

I think having consistency across all your equipment is important. I've only ever used Vise inserts, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

It's like shoes, it's about the feel .

Different brands can have small variations in size, materials, textures etc. It's personal preference.

I've used several brands. Vise and Turbo, both are okay to me.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by TonyInPortland View Post
    I needed new finger inserts on the ball I used the most last year, and a teammate offered to put them in for me because he had some new ones in my size. He would only charge me his cost, which is around 2 bucks apiece, I guess. But, when I got to his house, I saw that they were a different brand than the ones in all my balls, which had them all replaced last year, and in the new ball that I just had drilled. I decided to go to the bowling center and have them do them, at a cost of 5 bucks apiece, just so that all my balls would have the same brand of inserts in them.

Is this realistic, or was I being overly picky? My friend thought it was ridiculous.

For the record, he had Vise inserts and the bowling center sells Turbo.
    I don't think this is overly picky. In my opinion, every bowling ball you own feel exactly the same...span, pitches, weight etc. A different brand of grips could easily affect the way the ball feels and how it comes off your hand
    John

If they have a different feel or fit than your current ones and you like the current ones, I would get the matching ones, if I couldn't tell the difference I would put in his.
    I am planning to order my own and put them in myself when the current ones are getting worn or hardened up.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Other than the fact that their stamp/indicator for sizing is different and Turbo carries half sizes, I can't tell the difference. I have both in my stuff. The center's cheap junk in one ball and they are like a rock.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Wi have some hello Turbo ones in one ball which is really hard plastic. In the other ones I think they are Vise and really soft rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If they have a different feel or fit than your current ones and you like the current ones, I would get the matching ones, if I couldn't tell the difference I would put in his.
    I am planning to order my own and put them in myself when the current ones are getting worn or hardened up.
    I think I am going to order my own from now on, once I get an order large enough to get free shipping. It's just something I never thought of before, but if I change them out once a year (or more often) that can get expensive at $5 a pop, to the pro shop.