Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know I'm in the wrong in this situation...BUT...

Chats: 204

Angry I know I'm in the wrong in this situation...BUT...

So here's the scenario:

I'm practicing for sweeps in Vegas and right next to me and my bowling partner the alley puts a party of like 4-5 people.

The people were having fun...it's Vegas...they weren't beligerant or rude or anything...just having fun.

The PROBLEM is....ONE of the ladies in their group...seemed to be overly dramatic...no understanding of bowling etiquette at ALL. She would post her shot by doing stupid poses...take selfies...run up on the approach when it wasn't her turn...stand over in our lane area while others were bowling...just really, really bad bowling etiquette...worse than any kid over the age of 6 that I've ever seen.

So I started getting mad...but I tend to let casual bowlers alone because I don't want to be the reason they get turned off to bowling or don't become league bowlers....(because league bowlers are all jerks who take things too seriously, etc...).

BUT....as I was about to take a shot...it's her turn....and I'm waiting patiently for her to throw...and she does....probably into the gutter....and I'm still waiting...and she's up there doing a little dance and acting the fool...and I'm still waiting....and waiting....and after about 1.5 minutes....I said to myself, "Screw it!"

I then just took my shot with her standing there.

As I did....with her flailing about acting a fool....her right arm hit me in the left shoulder. Now, I'm 5'11" 220lbs...her arm didn't even distract me from making a good shot. And as I left the approach...I didn't even say anything. Her teammates were kinda apologetic....but I acted like I barely noticed it.

But SHE noticed it. Lets just say she wasn't so excited and out of control the remainder of the time I was there. I don't think I "hurt" her. I mean, I bet her arm hurt way more than my shoulder did...but I think it was just the psychological factor of it. I mentioned to my bowling partner that I probably shouldn't have done that...technically I shouldn't have bowled with her standing there...and it was stupid from the standpoint that I could have injured myself had she jumped around and landed in my lane not to mention injured her...but I was trying to send her a message." My bowling partner said, "well....I think she got the message." Because....she was still having fun and everything and wasn't hurt...but she was more mindful of us as we finished up our practice.

So...I got the response I wanted...but probably (in retrospect), that wasn't the best way to do it.
    In Bag: (: .) 900 Global Zen Master; (: .) Brunswick Perfect Mindset; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 196; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 185

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

Think I would have done the same. Woke her up that's all. Maybe she learned something from this
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

I would have just told her to get the hell off of the approach (in a nicer way than that, though). And if she didn't listen, I would have asked whoever was at the counter to switch me to a set of lanes FAR away from the party.

Chats: 32

Can't say I disagree with you here. There is a line between having fun and screwing around and taking away from others enjoyment. It's not just important that she have a good time you need to enjoy yourself too. If she's in your lane or spending more than 30 seconds on the approach she got what she deserved.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

Were you paying by the hour or by the game? Why would you not try to get moved to another pair? You were on a pair weren't you? I thought you needed a pair of lanes to practice? Maybe you should have tried nicely to explain a little bit of bowling etiquette. I get mad in league when we get 10 minutes for 10 bowlers and they take 1 just standing on the approach. IT IS WARM UPS THROW THE BALL AND GO TO THE END OF THE LINE!

Cranker

I've been bowling every Mon and Weds night after league ends with my buddies for about a year now and every so often we get a group who are clueless about lane courtesy. One of my buddies will get fed up and kind of angrily explain lane courtesy and that usually solves it. Or if we get a group of heavy drinkers next to us we'll just move pairs. No point in trying to talk to drunks.

I do get very exasperated with bowlers who engage in such antics. I noticed at one alley they actually had a list of the 10 most common items of bowling courtesy for people to take with them. How many will is a good question but at least they were out there for the taking and reading. I was impressed.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

• Change lanes?
    • Ask for a lap dance?
    • Start a fight?
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Ringer

Were talking about practice i mean practice you guys need to lighten up. If you are getting upset move lanes but that is a little ridiculous to get up there and possible hurt yourself of her.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by manke View Post
    Were talking about practice i mean practice you guys need to lighten up. If you are getting upset move lanes but that is a little ridiculous to get up there and possible hurt yourself of her.
    No the real issue here is he let it get completely out of hand before he did something and it ended up being what he was trying to avoid to begin with. The possibility of someone getting hurt.

I was bowling at one of the houses I bowl a league at now. This house has two different crowds. An older crowd serious bowlers and then the university kids that come over late in the evenings. The wife and I were there practicing when they put this group of tools next to us who I knew were going to be problems before they ever put there shoes on. Three guys two gals sure enough one of them trying to fling a 6 lbs. ball thumbless at 90 mph. Actually flips the ball on my lane on his second shot. I let it go next guy comes up he's falling all over the floor sliding around like an idiot. I look over at him after the third time and nicely explain if he would slow down and use the heels they would brake him.

The thumbless moron then proceeds to throw a ball that goes down the lane that's not being used. My wife is up super slide decides to hop up there and almost hits her sliding around all the way on her lane. He then does the same thing to me actually bumping my leg. I calmly go over to my bag get a piece of tape out and put it on the approach between our lanes and call all three of the guys over. I calmy ask them if they see the piece of tape they say yes and I tell them it's there to protect thier sex life for the next few years.

They get a strange look on thier faces and ask how that is and I tell them the next time one of them or thier balls cross that tape they will never get any again. They ask why and I told them That after getting punked by a 40 year old fat white guy in front of thier girls they are done for the rest of college. They didn't even finish thier game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast