Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know I'm in the wrong in this situation...BUT...

Chats: 0

Last night my team was practicing for today's league . The man next to us would speed bowl...as soon as his ball came back he would grab it and head to the approach needless to say many times one of us was already in the middle of our approach. highly irritating at one point I had to yell for him to stop because he had opened in the 10th (3rd ball) and he was ready to throw before the rake came down and cleared the pin deck. could not switch lanes all the rest where in league play so I just adjusted to every time he threw his ball I would bowl as soon as he returned to the ball return. Some folks just don't get it!
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Chats: 204

The problem in non-league situations is that you have to walk a fine line. Nobody that loves the game wants to be the person that soured someone on bowling. And you always have to balance a good chance to teach about etiquette with a bad time to teach about etiquette. And how you do it, also plays a big part.

In retrospect, I should have politely asked her to leave the approach or just waited...depending on whether I felt she'd take my suggestion/request positively or negatively.

But you have to be careful. I remember teaching my daughter and her little friend one day during open bowling and one guy bowling next to us got agitated and said something to me to the effect of, "maybe you should also coach some etiquette!" Now, under other circumstances (not having 3 8-year old girls with me that I was responsible for)...that guy would have gotten a very, very negative reaction for his unnecessary comment. But, since I was bound by some responsibilities (and thus couldn't risk a confrontation that results in me getting arrested)...I simply apologized and tried to let the girls know that you need to wait while the people on the lanes next to you are finished, etc...

The problem was...the WAY that guy said it...he made the kids feel bad when that was really unnecessary. He could have simply taken me aside and mentioned it and no harm no foul. So, in retrospect, in my situation, I probably could have handled it differently and got the same message across.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

At yesterday's high school practice we used lanes 5-10 purposely leaving 11 and 12 open so I could video everyone and check timing, knee continuation, etc. Lanees 1-4 were empty and the idiot woman who works days put an open (senior league) bowler on lane 11. I also work there part time. The manager (owner's son) is the head coach. He didn't say a word. After practice I ripped into her. My best line of this one sided conversation was "You're so stupid I'm surprised you can remember to breathe"

A couple of seasons ago a group of teen girls came in. The league didn't take up all the lanes so I gave them a lane with two lanes between them and the league. I still had to make two trips over there due to the screaming, running around etc.. The second trip I came with half off coupons for Cosmic bowling later that night. I explained that is when the screaming and all out fun was allowed but they had to be respectful of the bowlers who were paying to play and playing for money (prize fund lol). They get a copy of my schedule and bowl Cosmic at least once a month when I'm working.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

I understand all of this is frustrating, I really do but I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. My GF wanted to go bowling one evening and she isn't a bowler at all. We went to a busy place and had a family next to us. The one kid kept hitting buttons on the scoring machine (which was quickly disabled by the counter) and running in front of us on our lane. I even had to stop once and thankfully I had only taken a step and not started my swing. Parents were mortified.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Open bowlers don't bother me. Stupidity bothers me. Bother me even more when I'm the stupid one.
    Most people don't realize the safety issues with bowling. They don't think "that 200 pound guy swinging that 15 pound ball could really mess up my 3 year old's skull" or "when little Johnny's fingers are on that ball and the next ball comes flying up the return and hits them he will get hurt". It's just human nature.

I want everyone to have fun and be safe. Luckily with this being my fourth season with the youth league I now have plenty of little helpers throughout the center. Nothing grabs the parents attention or the 5 year olds like an 8 year old explaining how and why certain things should or shouldn't be done. Funniest thing I've seen in awhile was an 8 year old telling an adult that thought he was being over protective "If you don't think it would hurt then let me hit you in the face with it". I was laughing the whole time I was walking him away from there. About five minutes later that lady came over, apologized and bought his lunch.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 204

Yeah. It's less of a safety issue with adults and drunk teens...but it's a big concern with little fellas.

In my original example, believe me, her arm hurt way more than my shoulder did.

And people really don't understand that once you take that first step...that's 215 pounds of person in stride...and I can't just "stop". I 'might' be able to avoid hitting a kid if I decide to save him by taking a spill myself into the ball return or something...but I can't really do anything about the ball swing. And I'm 5'11"...when I'm getting low and my leg kick is working...and I'm shooting at a right side corner pin or 6-10...my leg can easily kick over to the other approach. If you're standing there dancing like a friggin Gumby...and my leg sweep knocks you off your feet...it's not gonna be pleasant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12