Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling towel etiquette

Default Bowling towel etiquette

I'm sure there is no rule on it but what is your bowling towel etiquette.

I'm in my second league and it's pretty casual laid back even though the one I'm in now is a sanctioned league.

The summer league some people just left their towels either on the scoring/control board or on the return rack. Others brought up their towels on their turns and brought it back with them when their turn was over.

I prefer to find one place near the approach and not have to keep it on me the whole night. Some times this will mean on the scoring table swivel chair or the scoring/control board.

Chats: 256

I always leave mine on scoring control panel as do others that use one. My Tuesday house has a ledge/shelf just past the panels that every one uses. The shelf also has 3 rows under it where spare/extra balls can go.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I just leave mine on the top of the scoring monitor, or on the back of the chair in front of the scoring monitor. Seems like most people do that. The only ones that bother me even a tiny bit are people who are up and put their towel on balls on the return... and even that's just a minor inconvenience in case my ball is around/under that (but, I can see why people could get more touchy about that one)

I use a sling because it's easier to clean off my balls that way. I normally tend to leave it in my bag, though. I have a bad tendency of losing minor objects such as a bowling towel/sling.

The house I bowl at just last week put little round tables on every lane between the end of the return and the scoring panel, seems they were having panels damaged by stuff being left on the scoring panels. Not sure what was the issue, rosin bags, towels, or ?
    Now everyone is using the little tables, too bad they don't have a rack under for extra balls ...

Lets just hope people don't start setting drinks and food on the little table !

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The house I bowl at just last week put little round tables on every lane between the end of the return and the scoring panel, seems they were having panels damaged by stuff being left on the scoring panels. Not sure what was the issue, rosin bags, towels, or ?
    Now everyone is using the little tables, too bad they don't have a rack under for extra balls ...

Lets just hope people don't start setting drinks and food on the little table !
    That's the fear. At my alley there is nothing horizontal near the bowling approach. Nothing someone could place a drink on. Which I think is a great design.

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    That's the fear. At my alley there is nothing horizontal near the bowling approach. Nothing someone could place a drink on. Which I think is a great design.

Yes, at league we were joking about it, but with some recreational bowlers that don't know any better it could become a real issue! That's all we need is drinks and food spilled all over the approaches.

Chats: 0

Since I am handicapped and bowl from a wheelchair I use to keep mine on my left shoulder until it cost me a strike. I had just released my ball when my towel fell off my shoulder and on to the foul line and of course it was a strike. I remove the strike and took it as zero pins rather than call rerack. That was a unsanctioned league and the ladies I was bowling against had told me you could have left the strike. I thanked them but said I planed on moving up to a sanctioned league so I might as well get use to the rules. Now I leave mine on top the ball return exit. no one seems to mind yet.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

When I find a towel on my ball in the rack I usually just drop it on the floor. I have also been known to hide them, put them in one of their team mates bag. If you can't have a little fun stay home. By the way I have never been able to keep a towel for more than two weeks. Always leave them behind.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiewoodard57 View Post
    Since I am handicapped and bowl from a wheelchair I use to keep mine on my left shoulder until it cost me a strike. I had just released my ball when my towel fell off my shoulder and on to the foul line and of course it was a strike. I remove the strike and took it as zero pins rather than call rerack. That was a unsanctioned league and the ladies I was bowling against had told me you could have left the strike. I thanked them but said I planed on moving up to a sanctioned league so I might as well get use to the rules. Now I leave mine on top the ball return exit. no one seems to mind yet.
    In a USBC sanctioned league, your towel falling on the foul line wouldn't have been a foul.

Rule 5 – Fouls

NOTE: The foul line is of infinite length including walls, floors, posts and ball returns. A foul is not
    committed when foreign objects such as pens, jewelry, coins, cigarettes, etc., drop from a
    bowler’s pocket or fall from a person’s body or clothing.
    (Footwear and clothing are considered
    part of the body.) A player should request permission to cross the foul line to retrieve any items
    that have fallen beyond the foul line.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast