Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of drilling

Default Cost of drilling

Question is about cost of initial drilling and subsequent drillings using same specs from initial drilling.

Ok, so PSO charges $50 for drilling (add $20 for slugs and grips). This $50 includes them watching you bowl, finding your PAP, measuring your hand and flexibility and drilling the ball. So he puts this all in your spec sheet. Sure, $50 sounds reasonable for what they do.

But what about follow up drillings where he all he does is take out your spec sheet and drills according to what it says. They shouldn't be charging $50 for any subsequent drillings if all they are doing is drilling and not re-measuring.

Is my thinking off? They could actually make a killing if they went with the model of $50 for initial drilling, $25/$30 for any drillings after that if only going off spec sheet. I'm certain people would be more willing to buy balls every 6 months if that were the case.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If they would make a killing by charging less then they would. Given a cheap press is $7,000 and bits average a few hundred EACH all while most are not making more than $20 from the ball sale, squat on accessories, etc. I'm surprised they don't charge more. In fact I started bowling in 2005 and the cost is the same. While everything else has increased drilling hasn't. As the internet sales have increased taking sale away they have adapted, cut margins as thin as possible to just try and stay in business.

Now to your original question. Watching you bowl, get PAP, measure, etc. is a free service unless it is otherwise posted for measuring, finding PAP, etc.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Oh and as you become friendlier with your PSO you will start seeing more discounts.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Chats: 32

Would $20 off really make you buy more balls? I know it wouldn't me if I need/want one I go buy it. If I don't I don't. An amount less than it takes me to feed the family at Mcdonalds isn't changing my mind on if I should purchase something or not.

In my opinion for a truly gifted knowledgeable PSO $50 to $60 is a steal for some of the idiots that are out there that only try to sell you the latest greatest hook monster and are still doing label drills and wouldn't know a dual angle number if you wrote it down for them it's highway robbery.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

It's psychological. Advertising "half off" drilling if we already measured your hand and have specs is a good selling point and probably would generate more sales.

Blog Entries

But you're not seeing the difference in the "measuring" and the "drilling". So you're ok with $50 drilling of subsequent balls as long as you're charged $100 for the initial that included the measuring?
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    In my opinion for a truly gifted knowledgeable PSO $50 to $60 is a steal for some of the idiots that are out there that only try to sell you the latest greatest hook monster and are still doing label drills and wouldn't know a dual angle number if you wrote it down for them it's highway robbery.
    Amen!!!!!!! These label drillers that you speak of, they have hurt the entire bowling industry especially the pro shops and yet as long as they pay the annual dues keep their certification. It's a joke.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    But you're not seeing the difference in the "measuring" and the "drilling". So you're ok with $50 drilling of subsequent balls as long as you're charged $100 for the initial that included the measuring?
    Well they set the market at $50 for drilling and measuring and all the other things that happen at initial drilling. The hard work has been done already. And to me the hard work is the measuring of the hand, getting the accurate pitches and spans so it fits like a glove. Once that's done if that same customer wants another ball drilled up 2 months later he doesn't need to be remeasured so a simple "drilling" should be less.

Blog Entries

Ok.....when you go into the pro shop and the sign says the price for drilling a blank, plugging, grips, etc..
    How much does it say to check PAP, measure hand?
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Ok.....when you go into the pro shop and the sign says the price for drilling a blank, plugging, grips, etc..
    How much does it say to check PAP, measure hand?
    So you're saying checking PAP and measuring hands are free. Try going into your pro shop and ask them to check those for you without getting a ball drilled. Heck, they're so secretive about the spec sheets many won't give them to you and even hide it from view when they are writing down the measurements.

I'm paying for them to measure my hand and drill. I understand it is their work and I don't expect to receive a copy of the spec sheet. But if they aren't going to measure me each and every time there should be a discount. That's all I'm saying.

You might say of course not, there is no need to measure your hand each and every time you want another ball drilled. My thoughts exactly. So I've already paid you to measure my hand, now just drill it again with my spec sheet. Less work for you means less money out of my pocket.

Just makes sense. Of course their margins are so thin this model probably doesn't work. But hey, logically it should work that way.
    Last edited by NewToBowling; 09-30-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast