Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost of drilling

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Guess a good driller is worth their weight in gold. I don't plan on buying too many balls and my thumb has no callouses now that I opened up my thumb hole so my fit is good.
    Where were you getting a callous? How and where on the hole did you have to open it up? Chances are either the fit or your grip are incorrect. I say this because it is estimated that 80% of amateur bowlers have a thumb hole that is too large.
    For mine the span was stretched slightly (was too relaxed) and a pitch change which allowed a SMALLER hole to get rid of the pain and callous. Opposite of what most of us would expect without the proper knowledge.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Where were you getting a callous? How and where on the hole did you have to open it up? Chances are either the fit or your grip are incorrect. I say this because it is estimated that 80% of amateur bowlers have a thumb hole that is too large.
    For mine the span was stretched slightly (was too relaxed) and a pitch change which allowed a SMALLER hole to get rid of the pain and callous. Opposite of what most of us would expect without the proper knowledge.
    Callous was on side of thumb (outer). I narrowed it down to too tight a thumb hole and turning my hand too early before thumb had released from ball.

Now that the ball has been opened up no more issues. Callous free. Thumb has no soreness or pain. You wouldn't be able to tell my thumb from someone who doesn't bowl.

I had mentioned this to my PSO a few times and he said the thumb should be tight. It was so tight it made a whoosh on every release. And I don't clench the ball because I grew up bowling thumbless so never put thumb in house balls.

When got another ball went to him and told him to open up the sides as I was developing callouses. After that and a few more tweaking of the hole I'm now callous free and my thumb releases fine. Just a few adjustments with tape from natural swelling, etc.

I like my thumb holes loose and my fingers with grips extremely tight. Tight to the point where I almost have to force my fingers in.

Chats: 0

My PSO tends to give me great prices on the new balls I have purchased from him so much so that I always tell him to make sure he is profiting from the sale. He also charges $50 to drill which includes inserts and slugs. Recently I wanted to buy a used 14# ball from him to make sure I could handle the change in weight before I actually started replacing all my 13# equipment. (I bowl from a power chair so my ball speed is all arm) The man went into his OWN ball bag pulled out a 14# Storm 2 Fast plugged it and drilled it for me and charged just $50 !!
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123