Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible 300 game courtesy

Chats: 204

Generally people working on a 300 are usually (not always) bowling anchor. And generally they will wait until everyone else on the opposing team has bowled. So it's usually not an issue. If I get up there when a person is on 10 or 11 in a row...I kinda treat it like a spare. I'll let the other person go...unless he/she asks me to go or tells me to "go ahead".

Ringer
    Chats: 0

During my junior year of high school, we had a pretty good bowling team. We were in the top 3 in our conference, and ended up finishing 14th at the state championship.

At our end-of-year conference tournament, I started out extremely rough--I had a freakin' 116. The lowest score in the house. I was totally out of it, angry, etc. The next game, I had a 170-something. I actually threw very well, but had a Greek Church and some other odd leaves in the middle of the game.

The last game, I throw the front 9. My teammates were joking with me like we normally did. I get up to throw the 10th, and it's oddly quiet........and I noticed that literally the entire house had stopped bowling. All teams, parents and coaches were gathered around our pair. That felt GREAT (yeah, not quite). So, I totally rushed the 10th ball, tugged it, and threw a 2-4-7.....which I had missed twice previously in the first game. Nervous as hell, I did convert and strike on the 12th ball to finish. So, during a series with a near 300, I was nowhere close to throwing a 600.

Moral of the story: Act normal. Ignore all else.

Pin Crusher

It is much better to give the person some room and time than be the dummy who they blame for not waiting. More times than not they don't get it and need a goat. Don't be a goat wait.

SandBagger

We started the year against a team whose anchor threw a 300. We waited after he shot the first 10. He also drew a crowd, which happens whenever someone is on a roll. The consensus here, and I agree, it is up to the bowler as to what he or she wants to opposition to do.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    We started the year against a team whose anchor threw a 300. We waited after he shot the first 10. He also drew a crowd, which happens whenever someone is on a roll. The consensus here, and I agree, it is up to the bowler as to what he or she wants to opposition to do.
    What does that mean? Do you ask him "I see you got the 1st 10 you want us to wait or ignore you?"

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    What does that mean? Do you ask him "I see you got the 1st 10 you want us to wait or ignore you?"
    I think it's more like seeing if he or she indicates that you should go ahead and bowl
    John

We have bowled next to, or against a guy going for a 300 many times and the way it usually works is everything is normal until the 2nd ball in the 10th and normally the adjacent pairs of lanes stop and let the guy throw the last one or two balls. For the most part everyone else continues but the bowlers a couple of lanes away are watching but mostly stay in their area and don't crowd around. We have seen a lot of big games as we have had several guys with multiple 300's bowling in the league, one guy was over 100 and another was at 50 or something crazy like that.

Works both ways on the leagues I'm on. As someone mentioned, the more competitive leagues tend to go about on business as usual until the end of the 10th. Definitely my preference... I got to frame 8ish? a few times in the social league and the whole league gathers around. Its a bit ridiculous and the change in flow frequently messes with my concentration. A couple other guys in the league have said the same thing.

Years ago, everyone would stop and watch. More recently, people, if they notice will stop bowling and watch, but others either don't notice, or keep bowling as they are watching. With so many 300s shot these days, it is not as big of a deal for most bowlers.

Bowler
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by TonyInPortland View Post
    Years ago, everyone would stop and watch. More recently, people, if they notice will stop bowling and watch, but others either don't notice, or keep bowling as they are watching. With so many 300s shot these days, it is not as big of a deal for most bowlers.
    Can't emphasize how true this is! My dad used to bowl in the 80s and he said back then the entire house would stop and watch if someone was on the front 9. Now on my Tuesday night league I feel a 300 is shot every single week and a lot of bowlers are averaging 230+ and shoot multiple a year. With them it's pretty much business as usual, a few high fives and handshakes, and it's on to the next game. When it's not one of the usuals though people actually start to stop and take notice and a bigger deal is made once the 300 is shot, especially if it's the guys 1st one. As most everyone has said though, I feel it's situational and it really depends on the type of league and the bowler.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast